Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(PLEASE NOTE I HAD TO TWEEK THIS A FEW TIMES, SORRY)

First a couple of storys from personal experiance,

I distnctly rememeber seeing a boxing show on free tv featuring Khans first pro fight (i think) and the British HWC defending against some local butcher

the champ then was the guy that "Tyson Killer Danny" ducked prior to this show, or so i've heard

these two matches were all that was on the card yet it was a sell out crowd

whats interesting time wise though is that even though Khan was the big draw without question they just slapped together a British title fight and put that on first, these two fights ended sooner than all thought even though they had a good guranteed two hours of air time to show them

when both fights were concluded they filled up the rest of the air time with supurfluous (i know thats not how its spelt) stock/documentary filler that i didn't bother watching, there were no more fights that night so i didn't bother

I also remember going out to try out wrestling training myself in person for the first time, i later found out that for this venue it was cancelled for that week yet i had already made the trip anyway, i asked the receptionist and she acknowled this training instead as a wrestling show,most likely by honest mistake BUT felt the need to say to me in her own words that according to her on hand scedule and the seeming "lateness" its all timed the way it is because as she said it "it's not like kick boxing"

yeah, i know right?

doesn't she realise that like boxing matches that all fights have time limits of their own, she was subliminally telling me,AS IF I NEEDED TO KNOW, that wresting does streamline the time of their content for "writers conviniance" and that timing wise it wasn't as unpredeictable as actual contact sports

with both of these memories in mind i think there is a way wrestling can lose the "fakeness" stigma a bit if they were more structured like Saturday Night Main Events of years gone by

Most of these SNME's would start out with the big money match first while leaving the less important matches closer to the end with usual started matches like the tag title match as the "main event" even though the real main event and big draw went on first

i know this isn't exactly like that boxing event mentioned above but read this out

wrestling looks contrived and hokey by having so much to offer on a single show under a daunting time limit. Admittedly some promotions benefit from this but in this day and age wouldn't simply coasting through not-as-important matches like promotions would do just dilute the strength of the medium by not making each contest feel important with consequence and "heat" that wrestling is sorely missing?

even though when you pay for a ppv you are set and feel compelled to stay on your couch the whole short evening maybe the "convieniant" timing of match structure can be less obvious by having the big money/important matches on first while leaving time (provided there is within the two-four hour timeslot) for matches that evedently are more akeen to what the hardcore grapple nuts like to see in their wrestling, so that the matches the one nighter casuals came to see get only what they wanted to see and the wrestling diehards get to see the more scientific bouts as the main event even though the public dont think they are though might stick around anywhere since they payed for a whole 3 or 4 hour showing

everybody wins the same way that older tv specials become successes (which get the highest viewer count, more so than any ppv)

Lets mention here about WWEs current match timing just so we are all on the same page here

they always put the bigger draws in the main event with all the time they could ask for but the other matches tend to suffer, not getting the time they need/deserve or get left off the show altogether

so instead why not leave the lesser matches on the Reserve List, to fill out the rest of the show should the big money matches not fill out whole show but making sure the "IWC darlings" that derserve their money get their moment to shine at the end even though aren't treated like royalty like the opening contests are in this format that i am suggesting?

Not just to give the smartmarks a for lack of better term a "hard-on *gag*" or to offset the magic of wrestling ppvs but to offset the enursia of this whole misuunderstood little artform that really shouldn't dwell on the shambolic nature of its presentation and use it as an excuse to half-a** everything they do. As the english saying goes "every little helps".

On the other hand...since when does insisting that something isn't worth your time and money becomes a self fulfillingng prophecy? Its like toy companys saying that girls only want stuff if its pink. Do they really? Or do toy companys just sell it all that way and offer them no other choice?

I know that contact sport events tend to only have 1 to 3 fights on the poster and may or may not have any backup contests in case of unexpected shortness but wrestling has the tools and man power to plug that hole and gurantee a good show for the paying customers

OH AND BEFORE YOU GO, THAT'S ANOTHER THING. PLEASE DON'T CALL THEM "SHOWS" IT MAKES THEM SOUND LIKE CARNIVAL ATTRACTIONS, THEY SHOULD BE REFFERED TO AS EVENTS, because thats what they are to us. Amirite?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The downside of course being that the crowd full of kids that came to see Cena, get up and leave after the first match and the rest of the PPV is played out with an atmosphere like an Impact taping.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Interesting idea in theory, but in reality won't work. Free television is one thing, to offer those matches at the start worked for SNME because of the way the show was built and the timing. For a pay-per-view event, not so much. The idea is to promote the main event and that's how it is promoted in all the previews leading up to the PPV itself.

Let's use the example of this Sunday's PPV main event with Cena and Big Show. For the last month, all the hype on RAW, Smackdown, and the commercials asking you to order No Way Out have strongly pushed this match to be the one you have to see. Yes, you have Sheamus vs. Ziggler, Punk v. Bryan v. Kane, and who wouldn't want to see the tuxedo match with Santino and Rodriguez? (sarcasm on that last one, folks) However, all eggs are in the basket of the main event between TWFKABT (The Wrestler Formerly Known About Basic Thuganomics) and TBS.

From the standpoint of money here, if I'm spending money on this event, I want my money's worth. If the main event doesn't go your way, and by using your argument you should put Cena/Big Show first on the card, are you feeling ripped off? Plus, spending that much money on one match wouldn't do it for me, I'd be wanting to watch everything else.

In addition, how many people would watch the other matches when you've watched the big one. That is almost demeaning to the other wrestlers who now become afterthoughts. You run the risk of those bouts being meaningless, as everything was hyped for the main event.

How the PPVs need to be restructured is to have less of them. At the most, you probably need 6. Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, and Summerslam being your main ones and two others you could put in somewhere, probably MITB and HITC. Three times a year, I'd promote a Clash of the Champions-type show...two on USA and another on Syfy. This would make the PPVs more meaningful, as you have more build-up and hype for these shows.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Boxing in Britain is sometimes staged like that, but I think what usually happens is the Main Event is shown at a set time (10pm) and whenever that concludes they show footage from the build-up events which still happened live BEFORE the Main Event.

American broadcasts though show the undercard first (as it is PURE live) which can be annoying as it can stretch for many hours late into the night.

But no, it wouldn't work. That is why no-one LIVE ever shows the Main Event first. Not musicians, not boxers, not wrestlers. The point of an undercard/event is to further hype up the crowd/fans for the Main Event.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Boxing in Britain is sometimes staged like that, but I think what usually happens is the Main Event is shown at a set time (10pm) and whenever that concludes they show footage from the build-up events which still happened live BEFORE the Main Event.

American broadcasts though show the undercard first (as it is PURE live) which can be annoying as it can stretch for many hours late into the night.

But no, it wouldn't work. That is why no-one LIVE ever shows the Main Event first. Not musicians, not boxers, not wrestlers. The point of an undercard/event is to further hype up the crowd/fans for the Main Event.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Makes no sense to have the headliners first. I do believe there are too many PPVs they should use SNME in a Clash of The Champions style FreePV way. I'm sure they won't have a problem working out a special Live 3hr event on Sunday nights on either channel they operate on.

They should definitely eliminate February & December PPVs and replace them with S(unday)NMEs. You want people to buy WM & Royal Rumble so take away the events immediately before them, same for SummerSlam & SurSeries. Have other PPVs in odd months. Here's my ideal schedule:
Jan--Rumble
Feb-SNME
Mar/Apr-WM
May-ER
June-KOTR/MITB
July-SNME
Aug-SummerSlam
Sept-TLC/NWO
Oct-SNME
Nov-NOC
Dec-SNME

That's about 7 PPVs & 5 SNMEs. That's a pretty good schedule and gives time to build to major events.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the standpoint of money here, are you feeling ripped off?

In addition, how many people would watch the other matches when you've watched the big one. That is almost demeaning to the other wrestlers who now become afterthoughts. You run the risk of those bouts being meaningless, as everything was hyped for the main event. .
welcome to mainstream wrestling mate

the crowd full of kids that came to see Cena, get up and leave .
Really? SERIOUSLY?! I've heard of Starbucks giving quick fixes at a reasonable price but this is ridiculous

·
Registered
635 Posts
All I want to know is what the OP has against using periods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts