Wrestling Forum banner

Matt Hardy Broken trademark application refused by the PTO.

11K views 73 replies 40 participants last post by  TheNightmanCometh 
Re: Full statement from Anthem Sports on the Broken Universe and a pdf of Matt's contract and communication logs between lawyers

Funny, im still on matts side. Same as I am with Cody.

Wrestlers need their creations. Period. Also don't buy this for a second.

Re: Full statement from Anthem Sports on the Broken Universe and a pdf of Matt's contract and communication logs between lawyers

Last time I checked they never actually filed for any trademarks for it. DO you have a link to a source? And Nero is Jeff's legal middle name. They can use it no matter what. He can't be stopped from calling himself Nero if he wants to.
I forget where, but yes, there is a screencap of it. Filed for "Broken Matt Hardy"

Edit:

Edit 2:

I tell the truth & I don't need to desperately overcompensate to prove my public credibility. My facts will be shared via the correct venue.

— Matt Hardy #DTO (@MATTHARDYBRAND) May 24, 2017
This aint over.

Since the Hardy's didn't trademark the characters and other parts of the gimmick, Impact owns it.

It's the same reason WWE owns the name Cody Rhodes.

If the performer doesn't own a trademark for their character, the promotion it appear on tv for owns it.

It's a part of copyright law. Since Impact has proof that the characters and other features of the Broken Universe orginated on their show, and the Hardy's have no legal copyright or trademark on the it, the ownership of the characters and concept go to Impact. It's the same with all other forms art too. If a single writes a song but doesn't copyright it, and releases it with a label, the label owns it and just owns royalties to the singer.
Hardy DID trademark it. Not every term though. Nero they may own.

Victory Road 2011.

You people really want to talk about loyalty?
No?

Jeff is clean now. That doesn't mean they should or shouldn't get ownership.

That is the point though, it's why any of this is even an issue
I was referring to the fact that whether you're Matt or Daniel Bryan, wrestlers should have control over their character.

I've been Low key crafting MY wrestling character for years now. Its my baby. I shouldn't have to make it the exclusive property of who im gonna work for and risk them putting shit all over it.

Thats the thing. Regardless of whether you like Matt and Reby or not, wrestling wise, no fan should want wrestlers' creations to be out of their hands.

It seems this may be a wording/info issue:

- Matt Hardy’s trademark application for the “Broken” gimmick was given an initial refusal today by the USPTO, citing that it “identifies only the name of a particular character/personal name” and doesn’t “identify and distinguish applicant’s services from those of others and to indicate the source of applicant’s services.” Hardy had services list as: “Entertainment services, namely, wrestling exhibits and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer.” At this time, Hardy has six months to respond to the refusal before the application is abandoned.
- NoDQ (Gets info from the usual places like WOR, not just themselves.)

I doubt that is valid trademark application, since it was filed AFTER the dispute over ownership started. If he had filed it while still using the gimmick on Impact, it would have been valid, just like it was when Bully Ray filed his trademark on his ring name. But since Impact claimed ownership before he filed it, it's not valid until a judge says so.
Well Aj's had his name trademarked after his ended i believe, and TNA had already filed one https://trademarks.justia.com/785/34/aj-78534101.html Unless im misreading here, TNA had ownership of his name first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.