Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read that Josh Mathews will replace Todd Grisham on the SD announce table.

In my mind this is a very good move. Mathews is a good announcer and also was a good announcer on ECW together with Striker. I don't think that Grisham is a really bad announcer or something, he's just not very good at his job (he talks to much like a robot) and Mathews is better in this role. Also, Mathews has had tremendous commentary with Cole (who also is on SD) on NXT.

The team of Cole/Mathews/Striker will be a good announce team in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Christian is returning soon, so i doubt they want another "It's Christian" moment.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
They should just get rid of Cole from the SD announce team. Seriously, the guy is one of the big reasons why I don't like watching SD anymore. He just ruins everything.

·
Banned
7,852 Posts
I am happy for Josh Mathews that he has come so far :)... Hopefully him and grisham will have their roles reversed and have Todd doing the backstage interviews.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Josh Mathews is ready for this, and he deserves it. Todd Grisham personifies the word 'boring.' If, in 2000, you had shown me a clip of Grisham announcing and told me he'd be the #2 play-by-play guy in WWE, I'd have shot myself a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I dont know what Grishams deal is. I know he's better than he is on Smackdown. I've been to live events where Grisham talks to the crowd in between during commercial breaks and he jokes with the crowd and is pretty funny and charming. Completely different character than he is on tv. He's actually very likable and funny.

They must know he has that part of his personality I just don't know why he cant do it on TV.

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
I dont know what Grishams deal is. I know he's better than he is on Smackdown. I've been to live events where Grisham talks to the crowd in between during commercial breaks and he jokes with the crowd and is pretty funny and charming. Completely different character than he is on tv. He's actually very likable and funny.

They must know he has that part of his personality I just don't know why he cant do it on TV.
Probably preoccupied listening to Vince and Johnny Ace screaming instructions while Cole and Striker argue about something that happened on NXT four weeks ago. He was great with Striker on ECW (Christian's return smirkingly exempted) so it's not like they don't have chemistry.

But still, Matthews is better than Grisham by orders of magnitude, so fair's fair.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Todd should probably take a bit more time to hone his voice. He could really get it up there but I think a few programs in Superstars and backstage interviews could help him climb back up to the announcing table. If Mean Gene was still there, Todd should ask him for a few pointers perhaps.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Probably preoccupied listening to Vince and Johnny Ace screaming instructions while Cole and Striker argue about something that happened on NXT four weeks ago. He was great with Striker on ECW (Christian's return smirkingly exempted) so it's not like they don't have chemistry.

But still, Matthews is better than Grisham by orders of magnitude, so fair's fair.
What happened with Christian's return? I missed that one.

·
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
8,661 Posts
I don't like this because I would rather have Matthews replace Cole on Raw. The commentary was actually good this week.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
THANK YOU

Not that Grisham was talking much anyways. Past few weeks was just Striker and Cole talking to one another.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is the actual return rather then the promo and Grisham's response was... bad

I think Matthew deserves it, Grisham should go back to those interviews.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
For whatever reason, Grisham's been in steady, swift decline since around summertime or even earlier. He and Striker just don't have the chemistry they used to have, and that is one reason why they brought Michael Cole over. But with Cole and Striker there, Grisham is utterly lost. So now they're taking Grisham away and plugging Matthews in.

The whole commentary aspect of WWE is in such turmoil at the moment with the current Raw storyline between Cole and Lawler and Vince's attempts to make Smackdown's team halfway decent.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts