Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the exact opposite of the other thread. I got the idea because I misread it before. This is dedicted to matches that shouldn't have happened at WrestleMania and why. It's not a "worst" list, just matches that didn't fit in with the grandeur of WM. I'm going to be going for higher profile matches, not stuff with Uncle Elmer or SD Jones. I'll get it started:

ShowMiz vs. John Morrison & R-Truth - XXVI
A traditional 2-on-2 tag match at WM fell the wayside back in 2000-2004, for starters. Miz was having a great singles run as US Champion, Morrison looked like a star in the EC match a month earlier, but somehow Miz and Morrison got paired off with random tag partners and had a "feud" over the tag titles. It seemed like there was no room left in MITB for these guys, which is even worse considering that they only got 3 1/2 minutes to perform, making it the shortest WM opening EVER. That would have been bad for any year, but in 2010 it was unforgivable.

Edge vs. The Big Show vs. John Cena - XXV
Any other show and it would have been a solid main event or undercard main event, but there were a lot of problems here. First, Cena and Edge had fought each other to death, and no one was clamoring for more. Cena had made his name beating The Big Show, so no one wanted to see that, either. Edge and Big Show had little chemistry in the ring together. The worst part was that the whole match was built around a horribly cartoonish love triangle involving Big Show, Edge, and Vickie Guerrero. The WHC was secondary, and so too was Cena. It was a bad storyline either way, booking it as the co-main event of the 25th WrestleMania was scary. Cena had only lost the title the month before, so there was hardly a chase. The match was entertaining enough and had a great finish, but this being at WM showed how poorly WWE had planned for this event.

Rey Mysterio vs. JBL - XXV
JBL's first major victory as a singles competitor was over Mysterio in May 2004. They traded victories in late 2005. They feuded over the world title in 2006. They didn't have the best chemistry, but they had chemistry and respect for each other. Putting two former world champs in a match for the IC was a good sign, and maybe they would pull out something special. The problem is that they had faced each other so many times, no one cared to see it again in 2009, they had a full match on RAW the week before the event, and of course, this "match" lasted 20 seconds, which didn't do favors for anybody.

Booker T & Sharmell vs. The Boogeyman - 22
Booker had spent months feuding with Chris Benoit for the US Title, and because he fully supported Boogeyman being in the company (because he was black), Booker had to support him all the way, with a stupid feud, those gross worms, and a complete waste of a guy fought Triple Fucking H just three years earlier. Booker would win the World Title just 3 1/2 months later.

Trish Stratus vs. Christy Hemme - 21
Trish had spent months feuding with Lita, and it all culminated in a match...against newcomer Christy Hemme. The match was going to be terrible any time of the year, it was worse at WrestleMania.

Kurt Angle vs. Kane - X8
I love Kurt Angle, he's my favorite wrestler. Hell, I love Kane, but this has to be one of the most random pairings at a WM ever. The feud was non-existent, they had faced other on TV recently, and no one really cared to see this again. It was a complete mismatch, and the styles were only so comparable. Angle should have faced Curt Hennig, and they could have found something else for Kane that would have been better suited for him. When I first saw that this match happened at WM, I just kinda went "whaaa..."

Stone Cold vs. Scott Scott Hall - X8
I love this match. It's so damn entertaining, even though it's not good. But I understand why Austin was pissed. The guy had main evented two WMs against The Rock and now was in the undercard against the least important member of the original NWO. Austin should have at least faced Nash (who I believe was injured), Booker T (who was in another weird random match against Edge), or someone else.

Chris Jericho vs. Triple H - X8
I love X8, I really do, but the card is so damn random it baffles the mind. These two had feuded in 2000 back when it was hot, HHH was recently a a main eventer, Y2J was coming into his own in WWE, and they had that "phantom title switch" match and that underrated classic LMS at Fully Loaded. On the same night that Rock fought Hulk Hogan, this show needed a BIG main event. Having a heel who was secondary to the feud between HHH an McMahon, much smaller and less accomplished than the champion made him look like a secondary idiot, HHH was guaranteed to win because of his comeback, and this mismatch turned out be one of the worst WM main events ever.

That's it for now, what are some of yours?

Reactions: breadfan

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

/thread

·
Banned
353 Posts
BS, the two biggest stars post-attitude era have to face of at Wrestlemania.
It was the MATCH that was the problem watch it again and you tell me onestly if you where in Cenas shoe's somebody broke your neck and said they'd do it again dog you everyweek,hitting you with chair calling you names ect wouldnt you want to not only beat the shit outta them but make sure they never ran their mouth again

i no its ''fake'' but come on atleast make the story lines make some sence if i was cena i would of destoryed him thats what im saying same goes for batista but i wont get into that my point is if you HATE someone the way they HATED each other you wouldnt fight like you've never meet them before which is what we saw no emotion period im sorry but its not only lazy is damn unproffessional by all concered Batista got screwed in that last run so i give him a pass because he clearlly had no say but cena man pull your head outa your ass for real
lazy match perfect way of discribing it
END OF RANT

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Use some punctuation, there, fourm.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It was the MATCH that was the problem watch it again and you tell me onestly if you where in Cenas shoe's somebody broke your neck and said they'd do it again dog you everyweek,hitting you with chair calling you names ect wouldnt you want to not only beat the shit outta them but make sure they never ran their mouth again i no its ''fake'' but come on atleast make the storielines make some sence if i was cena i would of destory him thats what im saying same goes for batista but i wont get into that my point is if you HATE someone the way they HATED each other you wouldnt fight like you've never meet them before which is what we saw no emotion period im sorry but its not only lazy is damn unproffessional by all concered Batista got screwed in that last run so i give him a pass because he clearlly had no say but cena man pull your head outa your ass for real lazy match perfect
END OF RANT
What the fuck are you talking about?

·
Banned
353 Posts
Use some punctuation, there, fourm.
Im sorry man it just makes me so mad .
I was basically saying it was an emotionless match,it was a huge disapointment given how great their promos where leading up to it. Some of it was the best ive ever seen no joke. I was so excited for that match to happen than i saw it i was like ok........

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
Happy Bliss
5,039 Posts
way to necro a 10 year old thread! :LOL:

big show vs that sumo wrestler

finlay/jbl

kane/khali

Reactions: FriedTofu

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
6,194 Posts
Rey Mysterio vs. JBL - XXV
JBL's first major victory as a singles competitor was over Mysterio in May 2004. They traded victories in late 2005. They feuded over the world title in 2006. They didn't have the best chemistry, but they had chemistry and respect for each other. Putting two former world champs in a match for the IC was a good sign, and maybe they would pull out something special. The problem is that they had faced each other so many times, no one cared to see it again in 2009, they had a full match on RAW the week before the event, and of course, this "match" lasted 20 seconds, which didn't do favors for anybody.
I'm fine with this one. JBL was retiring and wanted a match with his good friend, and like a good chickenshit heel he went out on his back, humiliated in 30 seconds at the year's biggest show. That's fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.