Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a better example of this than Scott Steiner versus HHH at the 2003 Royal Rumble? The build up to the match was awesome, the promos were awesome, but the match itself was just terrible. It was one of the worst matches of HHH's career and probably one of the worst of Steiner's as well IMO. Steiner later said in an interview that HHH intentionally tried to make him look bad, and said that HHH didn't want to have a good match, which was why it sucked.

I can't post the link (don't have enough posts to post links yet), but the promo video for the match can be found on youtube. It's title is "Scott Steiner HHH promo video". The Steiner interview is on there as well.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Lesnar/Goldberg. This match was gonna be the be-all, end-all of donnybrooks. I've seen Women's matches more physical than that shit.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Is there a better example of this than Scott Steiner versus HHH at the 2003 Royal Rumble? The build up to the match was awesome, the promos were awesome, but the match itself was just terrible. It was one of the worst matches of HHH's career and probably one of the worst of Steiner's as well IMO. Steiner later said in an interview that HHH intentionally tried to make him look bad, and said that HHH didn't want to have a good match, which was why it sucked.

I can't post the link (don't have enough posts to post links yet), but the promo video for the match can be found on youtube. It's title is "Scott Steiner HHH promo video". The Steiner interview is on there as well.
Steiner is full of shit.

Triple H in 2003 wasn't on top of his game no pun intended, but Steiner sucked his entire WWE run. Every match he was in sucked, not just the matches with Triple H. Hell, I remember reading reports from house shows that said he was very underwhelming in the ring.

Anyway in terms of build up, I would say Summerslam 2001 The Rock vs Booker T. I really was looking forward to this since both guys were so similar to each other, but that match was merely ok and it paled in comparison to the great match Angle and Austin had before.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,070 Posts
First ones that come to mind are:

Sting vs. Hollywood Hogan/nWo - Starrcade 1997 (This was the hottest angle in all of wrestling in 1997. Everytime Sting would clear house of the nWo filled ring or descend from the rafters it was a mark out moment. Hogan was the ultimate heel and Sting was the ultimate dark, babyface.

Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg - WrestleMania 20 (Well the build wasn't really that great (Brock crying?) but the hype and expectations were HUGE. Too bad everyone knew they would leave so they didn't care much to go all out).

Triple H vs. Randy Orton - WrestleMania 25 (This one got very intense and Randy Orton's character was never better even with some of the flaws still present. The main event was no where near as physical or intense as it should have been).

·
Registered
4,999 Posts

Sting vs. Hollywood Hogan/nWo - Starrcade 1997 (This was the hottest angle in all of wrestling in 1997. Everytime Sting would clear house of the nWo filled ring or descend from the rafters it was a mark out moment. Hogan was the ultimate heel and Sting was the ultimate dark, babyface.

Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg - WrestleMania 20 (Well the build wasn't really that great (Brock crying?) but the hype and expectations were HUGE. Too bad everyone knew they would leave so they didn't care much to go all out).

Triple H vs. Randy Orton - WrestleMania 25 (This one got very intense and Randy Orton's character was never better even with some of the flaws still present. The main event was no where near as physical or intense as it should have been).
All these...especially Sting/Hogan that was the biggest possible match of that year and it was horrible.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Undertaker/Half of the Smackdown roster too...the man may be a Legend, but damn does WWE know how to overhype his feuds with completely shit talent.
Surely that's better than not hyping it at all? I mean, I totally agree, WWE creative can always somehow pull a fantastic build-up from the Undertaker, no matter how awful. I mean look at the list of opponenets Undertaker has had over the years. The Dudleyz, Luther Reigns, Big Show/A-Train at WM 19! All terrible, terrible matches on paper, but all with great build-up.

Then again, Undertaker's character makes writing stories for him absolute piss. His status within the company makes him a prime target for new guys wanting to make an impact, big guys trying to assert their dominance and just about anyone trying to improve their status within the company. All they need to do is come out and make a beeline for the Undertaker, interfere in a few matches, then get hit with the full lights and bells job before a big match pay-off where Undertaker kicks their arse. Much like Undertaker's ability to carry anyone that isn't Kronik to a decent match, the guy can't do a bad build-up.

·
Banned
749 Posts
The problem with the Orton/Hunter feud was that it was a standard match, but the people wanted to see them beat the shit out of each other.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts

I didn't even need to write, this.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Great answers all around. For something not yet mentioned, I'd go with ECW Originals v. New Breed from WrestleMania 23. I actually really enjoyed the buildup and the basic but effective new stars vs. old guard concept, but the match was positively abysmal. They should have just put on the Extreme Rules sequel that ended up on ECW 48 hours later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.