Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Baby Yoda
30,136 Posts
Re: Matches Pitched On Table For 3

Down for the first two.

Not looking forward to Cena-Reigns, the match is going to go 30 minutes+ with a billion finishers.

Cena's AA is a signature and both kick out of multiple finishers in big matches.

·
Registered
11,814 Posts

Well, those guys just pitched a better WrestleMania than we'll actually get. I mean, you'll have to clone Roman Reigns, but that should be easier than getting him over as a babyface.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,423 Posts

Reigns/Styles have excellent chemistry already judging by the quality of their Payback and Extreme Rules matches last year. So another match under any circumstances should be another top match.

·
Registered
230 Posts

I'd love to see a face Styles v a heel Reigns at Wrestlemania. These 2 should be the faces off WWE and leading them into a new era. The fans hate Reigns so let him go full heel until the fans turn him face again. Let AJ be the underdog the fans can get behind.

Reactions: DarkLady and Ace

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

Down for the first two.

Not looking forward to Cena-Reigns, the match is going to go 30 minutes+ with a billion finishers.

Cena's AA is a signature and both kick out of multiple finishers in big matches.
Bring back flashbacks of Cena-Styles SS 2016, eh :mj ?

·
Baby Yoda
30,136 Posts

Reigns/Styles have excellent chemistry already judging by the quality of their Payback and Extreme Rules matches last year. So another match under any circumstances should be another top match.
If AJ is traded next year, I think the plan is AJ-Reigns III for Summerslam and Cena-Reigns I at WM 35.

After Brock, there's only Cena, Orton and AJ left.

Bring back flashbacks of Cena-Styles SS 2016, eh :mj ?
Yeah, but a lot worse..

The only time AJ has kicked out of multiple finishers was against Cena. The AA means jack shit now, most main eventers should kick out of 2 in big matches. Reigns is probably going to kick out of 5 at least.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

If AJ is traded next year, I think the plan is AJ-Reigns III for Summerslam and Cena-Reigns I at WM 35.

After Brock, there's only Cena, Orton and AJ left.

Yeah, but a lot worse..
Still a billion finishers.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts

Styles v Reigns III is pending.

·
I clearly felt the tap
4,487 Posts

That might be the first decent idea Jim Cornette has had in decades.

·
Baby Yoda
30,136 Posts

Still a billion finishers.
AJ has only kicked out of multiple finishers against Cena. You can at least storyline it as AJ going to another level to beat Cena because of what he represents to him.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

Jim Cornett... I guess because I'm old I remember him all too well... and as the manager for the Midnight Express he was such a good heel that I still can't stand him to this day. Or course most people I've read stuff from think he is a douche in real life, ask Santino. I did like his induction speech at the Hall of Fame this year though.

·
When you don't have a match on the show
3,745 Posts

If Brock Lesnar wasn't "Suplex City" all the time but his old wrestler self, Lesnar Vs Joe would be a hard hitting contest I'd love to see.

·
Registered
11,814 Posts

Jim Cornett... I guess because I'm old I remember him all too well... and as the manager for the Midnight Express he was such a good heel that I still can't stand him to this day. Or course most people I've read stuff from think he is a douche in real life, ask Santino. I did like his induction speech at the Hall of Fame this year though.
Cornette is amazing. I used to think the business has passed him by, but then I started actually listening to what he says. There's a myth that he's an old man yelling at clouds, because this makes it easy to dismiss his criticisms, but what he really is an advocate for is common sense and psychology in wrestling matches and booking. He just loves wrestling so much. His co-host showed him American Alpha vs. The Revival, and his break down of it was magical. He basically gave them a free coaching lesson. He loved their work, thinks Gable is a damn near prodigy and that The Revival are one of the best teams in wrestling (he also loves The Briscoes), but his critiques were things that just made you go "Oh...yeah..." like you wouldn't have picked them up, but they actually would have made the match better.

Dude just knows that shit. If you're someone trying to go out there and be a part of wrestling, and play your part well, and do the best job at creating the most captivating story you can -- he'll be your best friend. It's when kids go into business for themselves that he gets annoyed, because they just don't "get it."

Like, that Santino story is so much better when Jim Cornette tells it. His story makes fun of himself and Santino. But basically Santino was being a douche and yelling at the stupid gimmick WWE sent Corny to try and get over. Everyone else had the common sense to sell, but Santino just laughed. So Cornette got so mad and was in such a rush to cover up for this that he actually shat his pants a little. He got in the back and was livid at Santino, who used to brag about being a legit guy. Marty Wright wanted to kill Santino for basically making him look dumb, so Corny started slapping Santino to bring him back to reality. He also has a hilarious story about threatening to shoot Brock Lesnar. As in actually shoot him with a gun -- not shoot fight him, because that would be stupid.

One of the best orators in wrestling, and a voice for common sense in professional wrestling. I recommend giving him a go, and listening to some of the positive stuff he talks about -- The Revival is a good place. A lot of people, honestly, are just too dumb to get his criticisms, I find. The nerd heat really started bouncing back at Cornette when he went off Kevin Steen and El Generico. Ironically, he never said they were bad wrestlers. He said that Kevin Steen needed to train a bit harder to get himself into just well enough shape that it looked like he was an athlete and actually trying to be a fighter, even if he was never going to be thin. He also said he needed to get some personalized ring gear so he looked more professional and do something more with his hair. Just little things to separate himself more from the fans. With Generico, he said that he needed to lose the mask and start cutting promos so people can emotionally connect with him a bit more. And they both needed to stop being pains in the asses and do what they were asked to do.

"Cornette's old! He said they sucked! He doesn't get what makes wrestling great today!" A few years later, Owens looks like he's tightened up a bit, has gear plastered with his trademarked logos, gels his hair and does exactly what Vince or Triple H tells him to. El Generico no longer wears a masks, cuts some killer promos when given the chance, emotes well and, well, seems to still be enough of a pain in the ass that they rib him on air, but has generally been well-received. Yet all people can say was "Cornette was wrong! I bet it kills him to see the two guys he said had no talent go anywhere!" Well, actually, they did exactly what he said they needed to. He did an interview with that Sam Roberts guy they often get to do the Kickoffs, and Corny explained all this to him, and the first thing he said when Corny went off the air was "Interesting that Cornette has tried to turn his story into a positive one." Actually, no, that has been his line from the start. But he explains that people and it gets in the way of their narrative, so they literally just ignore the sense and try to latch onto some representation of him as an archaic no-nothing. It's fascinating.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
All three of those matches would be better than Brock/Roman II at WM34. Brock/Roman II can happen, but I don't think it needs another WM main event, it'll never live up to their WM31 match so why try? But this is the company that went ahead with Twice in a Lifetime so who knows.

Of the three, Heel Roman vs Face Styles intrigues me the most, but I don't think the face/heel thing matters, Roman will be booed and Styles will be cheered regardless. I just think these two compliment one another so well and have provided two high quality matches, so let's do it again on a bigger stage like Wrestlemania.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Cena can't carry a match on his own and Roman can not even carry himself through a match. A Cena-Reigns match would be even worse than Cena-Batista from Over the Limit 2010.

Cena needs to only face guys who are better than he is. He can carry himself well enough to not slow down the match, as long as his opponent can carry the match overall. That's why his matches with Punk, Bryan, etc.. were all amazing. But he is unable to carry a match himself, especially when he is forced to carry dead weight like Reigns.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts