Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year, still just 9 months into it, has had SOOO many great matches, like really.

-Royal Rumble was great, some parts sucked but for the most part I loved it.
-Raw EC was pretty good.
-At WM, HHH Vs Taker was amazing, Rhodes Vs Rey AND Orton Vs Punk were also great.
-At ER, Christian Vs ADR and Orton Vs Punk were awesome.
-The whole Orton Vs Christian series had phenomenal matches, on SD, Over the Limit, CP, all of them.
-At MITB, both the MITB matches along with Punk Vs Cena were AMAZING....10/10.
-At Summerslam, we had another 2 classics take place in Orton Vs Christian and Punk Vs Cena, also Bryan Vs Barrett was also very fun to watch.

Other than PPV matches, Orton had a few great matches with Sheamus on SD, Sin Cara had a few good matches with Bryan, Bourne and Christian, also, Bryan put on an awesome match with Tyson Kidd just a few weeks ago on SD. Rey and Cena tore it down on Raw about a month ago as well.

So, hasn't this year had a shitload of great matches? Since I've been watching, 2002, I don't remember a year having as many awesome matches as this year, and we're still only 3/4 of the way done. What do you think?

If I forgot any, you can add them :)

·
Registered
16,344 Posts
The matches have been good this year, Christian and Orton ha\ve provided some great matches, CM Punk and John Cena too, and Rey Mysterio has been pretty good at the start of the year too.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Yeah I agree. 2011 has been quite a good year. Maybe it's too early to tell, but it seems like this year will go down as one of the best of the modern era.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Most years have standout matches that are often overlooked, I don't feel the match quality this year is any better than the previous four or five years. When it comes to PPV's for the most part WWE delivers 1 or 2 good/great matches, a couple of decent ones and a dud, nothings changed.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
That's the thing about the youth movement, while a lot of these guys are kinda crap on the mic, most of them are very athletic and talented in the ring. Look at who's been pushed recently. CM Punk, ADR, Christian, Sheamus, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan. Those guys are good workers.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
That's the thing about the youth movement, while a lot of these guys are kinda crap on the mic, most of them are very athletic and talented in the ring. Look at who's been pushed recently. CM Punk, ADR, Christian, Sheamus, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan. Those guys are good workers.
This is why the undercard on PPV's is arguably better than it was in the attitude era when it was full of trash like Al Snow, The Godfather, Jeff Jarrett, Billy Gunn, Hardcore Holly, Dlo-Brown ect most of them despite being entertaining absolutely sucked in the ring. People often forget this about the attitude era and seem to remember the PPV's being better than they were and match quality wise especially in 98/99 they sucked- these days although the feuds suck and have little to no build up the matches are much better.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Miz vs Rey to end the title tournament. It was great but was overshadowed by the end of the show.
I was cooking when that match was on -.- but I heard a lot of near falls lol.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
It has been a good year, I think the OP's gone a little far but all in all it's been a vast improvement on the previous few years.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has been a good year, I think the OP's gone a little far but all in all it's been a vast improvement on the previous few years.
Maybe I did, but there's a reason why. So, I started watching around 2001/2002 (I vaguely remember some 2001 moments like the Booker/Austin supermarket brawl), but it wasn't until 2005/2006 that I could tell a good performance from a bad performance, and I really do believe that 2011 has had better matches than any year since 2005. But from what I have went back and seen of 2003, 2003 also had a lot of great matches.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I agree with you all, this year, match wise has been fantastic.

Not only the matches, the product/entertainment value has been great.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is why the undercard on PPV's is arguably better than it was in the attitude era when it was full of trash like Al Snow, The Godfather, Jeff Jarrett, Billy Gunn, Hardcore Holly, Dlo-Brown ect most of them despite being entertaining absolutely sucked in the ring. People often forget this about the attitude era and seem to remember the PPV's being better than they were and match quality wise especially in 98/99 they sucked- these days although the feuds suck and have little to no build up the matches are much better.
A lot of the guys you mentioned were actually very good fundamental wrestlers- Brown, Snow, Holly, Jarrett, etc., were struck from an actual wrestling background not present in this day and age (there's no good widespread "minor league" nowadays for wrestlers to develop in before hitting the big time).

But yeah, in terms of standalone matches, this year is probably better than anything so far in the PG Era. Whether that alone is able to pull 2011 up from the dregs of a largely horrid weekly TV show in comparison to adjacent years past, I don't know.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
My MOTY is still Jarrett/Angle from Lockdown but WWE have had some good ones aswell. Punk/Cena at MITB and Christian/Orton at OTL stand out most to me.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I propose the SD EC match this year be added to this list based solely (if you have no memory) on Drew fucking Mcintyre.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Despite the double Cena and Orton Reigns ... yes it was a great year actually and the hottest part of it was June when R-truth turned heel and all way to 17/7 !

There were uber matches and I would like to add to your list, Morrison vs Miz for the title, SD EC, the whole ER was just amazing .. etc etc

and there were crap matches like Cena and barret ... and everytime they just bring in a jobber to job for cena or orton

·
Banned
9,205 Posts
Hell everything-wise, 2011 has been a great year with some of the most memorable moments ever. Rock's return, Edge's retirement, great Cena/Punk storyline, and of course the fantastic CM Punk promo.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
You forgot Miz/Morrison from the first Raw of the year. January 3rd I believe.
Morrison should get all the credit for that, seriously. I remember watching that match and thinking "This is all John Morrison." Miz did nothing except take his moves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts