Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here goes, 1990 to 2000 saw some pretty big things obviously with the rise of WCW, the peak of ECW, the Attitude Era, the best of the WWF and so many things it was truly a roller coaster of a decade.

What are/is your favorite match of that decade?

I really can't chose but any of these would do for me;

Austin/Bret - WM
Mr Perfect/Bret - IC Title - Summerslam
Owen Hart/Bret Hart - Wrestlemania
Bret Hart/British Bulldog - Summerslam 92

What about you?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I just finished a write up on how good the Taker v Mankind HIAC was. So probably that would be my favorite match in that time period.

Bret v HBK @ Survivor Series 97 can't be ignored, it is easily the most remembered and notorious match of the decade (or the fall out was, at least).

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
1) Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 1 (Submission Match)
2) Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon - Wrestlemania X (Ladder Match)
3) Triple H vs. Cactus Jack - Royal Rumble 2000 (Street Fight)
4) Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart - Wrestlemania X
5) Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker - Badd Blood 1997 (Hell in a Cell)

·
Premium Member
43,668 Posts
If we stick entirely with WWF/E, the ones that come to mind for me are:

Hulk Hogan Vs. The Ultimate Warrior: Title For Title at Wrestlemania VI = First ever big time main event face vs. face match and it had an atmosphere & hype surrounding it like no other. It was all about showmanship, but it worked to perfection.

The Ultimate Warrior Vs. Randy Savage: Career Ending Match at Wrestlemania VII = One of the most dramatic matches I've ever watched. While watching it, it was easy to believe that both men were fighting for more than a match or a title. Also, the aftermath was heartwarming & emotional. It put it into "Better Than Sex" territory (for those of you who use the Spill.com system).

Bret Hart Vs. The British Bulldog for the IC Title at Summerslam 92 = A match that I use as an example of how wrestling might look if it were a full fledged shoot. This match had a little bit everything and just about all of it was believable, even the family drama part of it. Its probably my pick for greatest match of all time. I've never seen another match quite like it.

Shawn Michaels Vs. Razor Ramon: IC Title Ladder Match at Wrestlemania X = A match that revolutionized wrestling more than any other. The after effects of this one match are still being felt today.

Bret Hart Vs. Shawn Michaels: 60 Minute Ironman Match for WWF Title at Wrestlemania XII = If Hogan/Warrior was the ultimate face vs. face battle of showmanship, this was the ultimate face vs. face battle of athletic superiority.

Bret Hart Vs. Steve Austin: Submission Match at Wrestlemania 13 = This match, more than any other, brought the Attitude to the WWF during the late 80s when they desperately needed a change of direction.

The Undertaker Vs. Shawn Michaels: Hell in a Cell Match at Bad Blood 1997 = Two men at their creative & physical peaks putting on a perfectly violent match that turned the wrestling world upside down.

Steve Austin Vs. Shawn Michaels: WWF Title at Wrestlemania XIV = Maybe not the all time greatest match, but certainly one of the all time biggest. Mike Tyson's involvement made it feel larger than life & its right up there with Hogan/Andre as being one of the biggest & most significant main events of all time, mostly for starting The Austin Era.

The Undertaker Vs. Mankind: Hell in a Cell Match at King of the Ring 1998 = Again, not the greatest match ever, but probably the scariest. Throw workrate, psychology, & storytelling out the window. This was just a display of brutality that pushed the boundaries of violence to a degree that would never be fully topped.

Triple H Vs. Cactus Jack: Streetfight for WWF Title at Royal Rumble 00 = This was another highly influential match that pushed the boundaries of violence while also pushing the then new main event star, Triple H, to the moon.

The Hardys Vs. E&C Vs. The Dudleys: TLC for Tag Titles at Summerslam 00 = This match served as both a completion in the evolution of the Ladder Match (that began with the E&C vs. Hardys match from No Mercy 99) and the shining example of the Tag Team Revival that the WWF experienced during this time as this was a perfect way to highlight their best teams.

Now this list was comprised of bouts that I felt had a combination of in ring match excitement AND influence on the business as a whole. Personally, I would probably say Bret Vs. Perfect at SS91 is a match that I enjoyed more than most of the ones on this list, but it didn't have the same impact or significance as a lot of them.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
1. Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart - WrestleMania 12
2. Bret Hart/Mr Perfect - SummerSlam 1991
3. Undertaker/Shawn Michaels - Bad Blood 1997
4. Undertaker/Mankind - King of the Ring 1998
5. Triple H/Cactus Jack - Royal Rumble 2000

Honorable Mentions: Steve Austin/Bret Hart (WrestleMania 13), TLC (SummerSlam 2000), Bret Hart/British Bulldog (SummerSlam 1992). Bret Hart/Owen Hart (WrestleMania 10) and Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon (WrestleMania 10)

·
I live in a pineapple....under the sea.
530 Posts
i didnt really watch wrestling back then because i was born in the mid 90's but unless im mistaken i'll take the hardyz vs edge and christian (1999, i believe?)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I'll consider the 90s only ala Jan 01, 1990 - Dec 31, 1999. In wrestling, that seems more appropriate.

Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin; No Holds Barred Submissions Match @ WrestleMania 13.

Period. The greatest wrestling match in history--ALL OF THE WORLD.

After that, I'd place (not in any order):

SummerSlam 1992: Bulldog/Bret
WrestleMania X: Owen/Bret
WrestleMania X: Ramon/Michaels
KOTR 1993: Bret/Hennig

The HIAC at Badd Blood 1997 needs a repeat viewing before I can cast my judgment on it.

·
#JeterFarewellTour
1,278 Posts
1.)HBK vs Hart- WM 12
2.)HBK vs Taker-Badd Blood 1997
3.)Hart vs Austin- WM 13
4.)HBK vs Razor Ramon- WM 10
5.)Taker vs Mankind- King of the Ring 1998

Anything with HBK in the '90s was pure gold.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Taker/HBK (HIAC)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Match of the decade from 1990 till 1999. The year 2000 started a new decade. A decade has ten years. Just count: 1990 (1), 1991 (2), 1992 (3), 1993 (4), 1994 (5), 1995 (6), 1996 (7), 1997 (8), 1998 (9) and 1999 (10)

Anyway, in chronological order and only from WWF:

Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior (WrestleMania VI)
Randy Savage vs. The Ultimate Warrior (WrestleMania VII - Retirement Match)
Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (WrestleMania X)
Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels (WrestleMania X - Ladder Match)
Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon (SummerSlam 1995 - Ladder Match)
Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (WrestleMania XII - Iron Man Match)
Shawn Michaels vs. Diesel (IYH: Good Friends, Better Enemies 1996)
Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind (IYH: Mind Games 1996)
Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (Survivor Series 1996)
British Bulldog vs. Owen Hart (RAW March 3,1997 - Vacant European Championship, Tournament Final)
Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart (WrestleMania 13 - Submission Match)
Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker (IYH: Badd Blood 1997 - Hell In A Cell Match)
The Undertaker vs. Mankind (King of the Ring 1998 - Hell In A Cell Match)
Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz (No Mercy 1999 - Ladder Match)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Can't really add much because everyone here has been spot on, but people do tend to forget HBK vs Mankind from IYH:Mind Games

1 - 20 of 28 Posts