Wrestling Forum banner

Mason Ryan in-ring?

4568 40
So we saw the Welshman having his first match since joining the WWE, what were peoples thoughts? Ok, so it was a bit of a squash job, but I thought he looked quite impressive and liked the look of his submission hold (I'm no expert with the names of wrestling moves so forgive me!).

I know it hardly mapped out his career in the companny but any early thoughts on this guy in general? Can he go to the top?
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
It looked like a Brock Lock (Lesnar's submission finisher) to me - a modified half-nelson. It's better than a boring side slam.
Shame the crowd were killed by Truth - he should have got a better reaction.

·
Premium Member
86,249 Posts
He was decent. There's a whole lot of room for improvement, that's for sure. Truth killed any heat the man should have gained for his post match beat down.

·
Registered
267 Posts
He looks like a stronger, younger Dave Batista (I know, right?).

The big difference is that Dave didn't know an armbar from a crowbar when he came into the WWE and Mason Ryan is already an experienced in-ring performer.

I'm excited by his potential. Hopefully they book him more like Wade Barrett and less like Sheamus (at least once he won the title).

wk

·
Dragon Slayer
6,701 Posts
He shouldn't have "debuted" against truth. WWE could have given him Morrison or Sheamus who could have helped him look a lot better. His weird Torture Rack like motion was also a bit off looking and looked worse in slo-mo, especially considering Truth was corpsing the whole time he was in the leghold. He'd probably be better off with an impact move after the finisher. We all know hes very good from his FCW time so hopefully he's given time to grow, and better opponents.

·
#EMMAtained
5,963 Posts
It seemed awkward to me. The guy has seemed awkward since appearing on TV. The way he carries himself, IDK. But last night especially, considering there was no heat after he locked on the submission, and then it just was awkward when he put it back on, I get it that Truth calling Milwaukee Green Bay contributed to that, but Mason also didn't make it any better, it looked like he was stuck and couldn't break the hold when he first won the match.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Honestly i didnt pay much attention as i was laughing so much at cole going crazy over R truths stupid mistake. Might try watch it again tho.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I Marked for the Brock Loc, but i'm not sure when this was. It was when Punk, Ryan and Otunga posed and all i heard was some dude shouting at the top of his voice..

"Hey Batista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I just lol'd so hard.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
The atmosphere made the match a mess. Ryan seemed to carry himself okay, though. Not the best debut I've seen on WWE TV but what can you expect? He's not a disaster area, and fingers crossed, he can only improve. He really should have got DQ'd for not releasing the hold, rather than the decision being reversed, though.

Obviously, I marked for the comeback of the STRETCH MUFFLER. I dig that hold.

·
Registered
192 Posts
He looked good in the ring.

The only thing is when he left the ring it was like he dearnt look at the crowd for no longer then 3 secounds at a time.. Anyone else notice that?

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
You almost have to really feel bad for the guy. On any other night, beating R-Truth in your first WWE singles match on TV would mean something. Something good for your career as a budding heel. Last night, it meant thousands of fans chanting "Milwaukee!", drowning out everything else. For one of Vince's pet projects debuting in such an unfortunate mess of a sccenario, I imagine he wasn't so happy with R-Truth, ha.

Frankly, though, discomfort in front of a big (and hostile-to-the-babyface at the time) crowd aside, I thought he performed decently. Much better than his match as a face against Zack Ryder I saw at a Raw house show four months back.

I think he's 28 years old, so he's got a couple of years ahead of him where he'll be allowed to find his bearings and improve, one would hope (they can't push everybody to the top lickety-split). Last night showed me that he's not a fish out of water anymore, as I viewed him as for almost his entire run in FCW. It'd be nice if he can continue his maturation process going forward.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
You almost have to really feel bad for the guy. On any other night, beating R-Truth in your first WWE singles match on TV would mean something. Something good for your career as a budding heel. Last night, it meant thousands of fans chanting "Milwaukee!", drowning out everything else. For one of Vince's pet projects debuting in such an unfortunate mess of a sccenario, I imagine he wasn't so happy with R-Truth, ha.

Frankly, though, discomfort in front of a big (and hostile-to-the-babyface at the time) crowd aside, I thought he performed decently. Much better than his match as a face against Zack Ryder I saw at a Raw house show four months back.

I think he's 28 years old, so he's got a couple of years ahead of him where he'll be allowed to find his bearings and improve, one would hope (they can't push everybody to the top lickety-split). Last night showed me that he's not a fish out of water anymore, as I viewed him as for almost his entire run in FCW. It'd be nice if he can continue his maturation process going forward.
Obviously it's only one night, but your point about not being a fish out of water on WWE is a good one. Watching FCW, I'd have thought Ryan would flop pushed in front of big crowds, and Alex Riley would thrive in that environment. On the evidence of last night, and it was only one match, Ryan seems to have a fairly decent grasp of the situation, whereas Riley has unfortunately made quite a few major errors, while overall performing solidly.

I see the situation reversing itself over time, and before long Riley looking like the star he has the potential to be, but it does show you how developmental isn't always the best indicator of mainstream potential in front of 10k+ fans. Look at the awesome Bateman vs mediocre Curtis juxtaposition on NXT for another example.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
Great points. Those and many other cases of sterling examples of how developmental and "the real thing" can yield entirely disparate results between respective individuals.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.