Wrestling Forum banner

Marty Scurll

2874 26
whats everyone's opinion on marty signing a contract with ring of honor?

my opinion is it feels like a wrong move he should of gone to nxt he would of been massive there!!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
No one is ready for Konami
3,965 Posts
It's a genius move on his part. He gets paid very well, he has creative control and he's free to take Indy bookings.

· Premium Member
27,395 Posts
Until I heard he gets a ton of creative control, so far as making booking decisions for outside himself (albeit heard this on a podcast, I trust, that didn't list sources), I thought it was a terrible decision. I don't know how long the contract is either, but ROH must have offered him equal or more pay than WWE/AEW would have. Or, like @The Sheik said, keeping his Indy bookings was incredibly important to him.

I was stoked when he interviewed at NWA because he mentioned he's never been a world champion, which I interpreted as taking shots at ROH not giving it to him when they had ample opportunity and timing. If he doesn't get the ROH title in 2020 then I think Marty just made the worst decision in his whole career.

Reactions: Carter84

· Banned
15,486 Posts
It's a great move for Scurll and potentially great for ROH. This is reminiscent of when Ric Flair went to Jim Herd and essentially demanded the book. I hope Scurll has true power and resources. It would be tremendous to see ROH really go hard after Brodie Lee and FTR, for example.

· Banned
15,486 Posts
It's TV rights fee money that is the reason AEW exists and Vince can pay talent what he does.

And holy shit if Marty Scurll ends up being the savior of pro-wrestling. I mean, maybe he just got a good, desperate offer off ROH and they're not going to give any more and he's got no ambition to push things further, but I'm hoping there's ambition there.

· Registered
2,804 Posts
ROH is going to pay him main roster money to wrestle 40 dates a year, plus he gets to work as many NJPW/NWA dates as he wants and book a promotion that has these guys:
The Briscoes
Flip Gordon
Bandido
Matt Taven
Flamita
Rey Horus
Jay Lethal
Jon Gresham
Tracy Williams
Brody King
Dragon Lee
Dalton Castle
Rush
Kenny King
Eli Isom
Mark Haskins
PJ Black
Silas Young

He'd be stupid to turn this down.

He has 2 years. Either he takes that great roster and turns it into the wrestling show we all know it should be and gets all the credit in the world for restoring ROH, or he cashes big checks for 2 years and then goes to WWE or AEW.

And you think he should've gone to NXT?

· Registered
2,511 Posts
Good for him but he was the one guy all of us thought would be a lock for AEW. Even Cody told us that if he showed up elsewhere not to expect it to be long-term. I doubt Marty got a gig like this without signing a long-term contract. It's bad enough when Meltzer gets everyone's hopes up by saying that many big names are wanting to jump ship only for nothing to happen, we don't need AEW officials teasing us too.

· Premium Member
1,479 Posts
whats everyone's opinion on marty signing a contract with ring of honor?

my opinion is it feels like a wrong move he should of gone to nxt he would of been massive there!!
I sounds purely transitional! Or complex as to why Marty would sign. I watch RoH on Fite occasionally and its talent, booking, viewing has been awful recently and I'm surprised they're not on life support, they have a new thing with NWA and I can't see them having anymore events with NJPW for the foreseeable future. So I'm not sure why Marty would re-sign with a seemingly dying and directionless promotion (for the long term). Maybe he's big on loyalty or getting a job done he started!?

Again, maybe he is raising his stock for when he joins AEW in a year or so!

As for NXT - Marty is very big on controlling his own merch, direction and gimmick so going to a company that makes killing creativity an art form would be silly.

· Registered
657 Posts
I am a bit disappointed; I wanted to see him go over to AEW. With their television deal, he would be able to showcase his talents to a much wider audience. When I met him, he was just the coolest, nicest guy, so I was kind of looking forward to watching him on AEW, where I felt sure he was gonna go. Obviously though, I can understand why he signed with ROH, since they apparently offered him WWE money, creative control, and a lesser workload. I just wish he would've gone over to AEW.

· Banned
15,486 Posts
I sounds purely transitional! Or complex as to why Marty would sign. I watch RoH on Fite occasionally and its talent, booking, viewing has been awful recently and I'm surprised they're not on life support, they have a new thing with NWA and I can't see them having anymore events with NJPW for the foreseeable future. So I'm not sure why Marty would re-sign with a seemingly dying and directionless promotion (for the long term). Maybe he's big on loyalty or getting a job done he started!?

Again, maybe he is raising his stock for when he joins AEW in a year or so!

As for NXT - Marty is very big on controlling his own merch, direction and gimmick so going to a company that makes killing creativity an art form would be silly.
No one is waiting to sign with AEW if they want to go there. You get the money from the mark while it’s there.

· Premium Member
27,395 Posts
ROH is going to pay him main roster money to wrestle 40 dates a year, plus he gets to work as many NJPW/NWA dates as he wants and book a promotion that has these guys:
The Briscoes
Flip Gordon
Bandido
Matt Taven
Flamita
Rey Horus
Jay Lethal
Jon Gresham
Tracy Williams
Brody King
Dragon Lee
Dalton Castle
Rush
Kenny King
Eli Isom
Mark Haskins
PJ Black
Silas Young

He'd be stupid to turn this down.

He has 2 years. Either he takes that great roster and turns it into the wrestling show we all know it should be and gets all the credit in the world for restoring ROH, or he cashes big checks for 2 years and then goes to WWE or AEW.

And you think he should've gone to NXT?
That's a very good point. If he could turn around ROH then he'd be God mode and be a legend in all of wrestling rather than one company. I hope they are indeed giving him creative control and a large percentage of booking decisions.

· The Empire will Reign again
18,485 Posts
Well I've never seen him wrestle and I'm going to continue to never see him wrestle, WWE or AEW could've changed that but not everyone is cut out for that kind of spotlight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.