Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking to Not In Hall of Fame, Marty Jannetty addresses WWE’s decision to only assist former contracted talent who partook in recreational drug use with rehabilitation assistance and not those with degenerative injuries caused by their time wrestling for the organization.

I think so,” he says in response to whether WWE should offer rehabilitation assistance to wrestlers suffering physical pain.

It is really hard for me to say, because I am not the person in charge of something like that. But I think that if someone is working for a company full time, especially with the money that is involved if we are talking straight WWE…I may be getting myself in trouble saying this, but in my opinion; and it is just that one goofy Rock and Rollers opinion; if you pretty much committed your life to working for that company for a period of time than the answer is yes. You are going to get hurt wrestling. Every match is at least a bruise. There are fractures and breaks, and often you work through it.

He continues, “Why does the WWE spend money on those who did stuff recreationally. I’ll use Scott Hall as an example. He is a friend, but it is out there, it was on ESPN, so it is no secret. From what I understand, he has been in and out of rehab ten times. That was from the partying and choices made that had nothing to do with what was work related.

Using myself as an example, I have asked them (WWE) if there is anything that can be done about my ankles. I have to take a lot of pain medication for it; way more than what is an average dose. Really, no more than anyone else who is in full contact sports. We all (wrestlers) have a very high threshold of pain to begin with and we are in good condition. We can handle more than most. Where one person can take a Vicodin and have the pain go away, a highly trained professional athlete has to take four or five times that dosage, and that is where you are getting into a danger zone. If I’m trying to take care of everybody pain, and walking is something we take for granted and I need pain medication just for that and it is work related than the answer should be yes.

He has a point.

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
Jannetty went on to complain "and then there was that time that Shawn Michaels kicked me through a plate glass window. Vince wouldn't even pay to get the shards of glass picked out of my eyeballs!"

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Too true, although do you think that Scott Hall being in the kliq has anything to do with it? Like a 'good ole boys' looking out for each other type deal.

·
Banned
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I understand, HHH and hall are not really close. Hbk and hall have stopped talking so its probably Nash,who is really close to hall, forcing hunter to help out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
WWE does that for all former talent, not just that shithead Scott Hall.

http://corporate.wwe.com/news/rehabilitation/summary.jsp

Jannetty is about as right as it gets here. Why should being a fuck-up get you the reward of free rehab (that in Hall's case hasn't worked 10 times now) while the physical sacrifices you make for the company (you're giving up some of your physical capabilities for life for them) gets you jack shit?

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
From what I understand, HHH and hall are not really close. Hbk and hall have stopped talking so its probably Nash,who is really close to hall, forcing hunter to help out.
In all the years i have had the internet and been on wrestling sites i have never even once heard of Scott Hall and Triple H really even being that close at all outside of The Curtain Call and them obviously both being in The Clique. Scott Hall was closer to Shawn Michaels when in WWE and then Kevin Nash through WCW and TNA whilst he became close to Sean Waltman when they were working together through 1993 and 1995 but i've only ever heard of Triple H being close with Sean Waltman originally because they were the two youngest of the group, Shawn Michaels obviously as they stayed together in WWE and Kevin Nash as he was the one he remained close to after Shawn Michaels fell out with Triple H.

I think the reason why WWE do so much for Scott Hall is because of how good it looks for them seeing as Scott Hall's problems are very much well known throughout all of wrestling whereas who really knew about Marty Jannetty having any kind of problems up until a few years back outside of him always being out partying. All the well known and well documented stories of wrestlers having problems with drink or drugs are the people who WWE seem to help like Jake Roberts, Scott Hall, Sean Waltman and Matt Hardy but people who are in a lot of pain because of their work in the business don't really seem to get much help or at least that i've ever heard of.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Jannetty makes a great point in fairness to him. Guess it's a case of where does WWE draw the line with their chequebook.

·
Banned
401 Posts
The WWE's point is its pretty conclusive that Hall developed his drinking problem while working for the company. Not to discredit Jannetty he has a point. However, in the real world the company is making these decisions because
A) They cannot help everyone
B) You can't work as a drunk
C) Public opinion is that WWE caused Hall's issues, public opinion probably doesn't support other people's issues being caused from the WWE
D) This is probably a marketing thing or maybe Hall is deeper (knowledge wise) in the business than others

My question is though, regardless of who was close in the Klique because I believe they all were, has WWE really spent money on Hall? I thought it was X-pac?

·
Registered
601 Posts
The WWE's point is its pretty conclusive that Hall developed his drinking problem while working for the company. Not to discredit Jannetty he has a point. However, in the real world the company is making these decisions because
A) They cannot help everyone
B) You can't work as a drunk
C) Public opinion is that WWE caused Hall's issues, public opinion probably doesn't support other people's issues being caused from the WWE
D) This is probably a marketing thing or maybe Hall is deeper (knowledge wise) in the business than others

My question is though, regardless of who was close in the Klique because I believe they all were, has WWE really spent money on Hall? I thought it was X-pac?
They did it for X-Pac too becuase they do it for all their former employees.

Mike Honcho posted this link in the first page of this thread: http://corporate.wwe.com/news/rehabilitation/summary.jsp

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
100% truth. They really ought to be paying for what he's saying here but when you think about it, that means they would be paying for everybody who ever stepped foot in a WWWF/WWF/WWE ring and is now hurting from it. That's A LOT of money which is why it's never going to happen.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yea I agree. It all comes down to economics. If WWE paid for Janetty then they'd have to pay for every former wrestler's extremely high medical costs in from a profession that is rife with injuries. They have more than enough money to do it in the most extreme cases, but I sincerely doubt they would ever do it and the reason is completely monetary. The only reason why they pay for rehab now is because of Benoit.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
Helping former wrestlers with injuries sustained during their careers would probably cost WWE shitloads of money as most past wrestlers would have some kind of op required injury. The # of WWE paid rehabs is much lower than the potential # of surgeries needed to be paid to former WWE wrestlers. That would open the Pandora's box...

·
Banned
3,223 Posts
From what i understand is that Kevin Nash is the kliq. He is best buddies with all of them.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,438 Posts
I don't agree that WWE should cut a cheque or pay for anyone that suffers from pain after a long career. Anybody who has ever stepped foot into a ring knows the physical repercussions that come with it. It's the career choice they made.

To me, that interview sounds like Jannetty is almost jealous of all the attention being given to Scott Hall, and he's being subtle about the own help that he needs. If anyone is even half the fuck-up that Hall is, it's Marty.

·
Registered
249 Posts
100% truth. They really ought to be paying for what he's saying here but when you think about it, that means they would be paying for everybody who ever stepped foot in a WWWF/WWF/WWE ring and is now hurting from it. That's A LOT of money which is why it's never going to happen.
This!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.