Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I’m going to address you both with the same overarching point. I’m not likely to be watching AEW. That is the problem.

And stop telling people they don’t know how someone is going to be used as if that is some sage point. It’s that they are being used. There is no base psychology for signing someone like Marko Stunt in an on-air role when you are trying to market wrestling to people. It. Doesn’t. Make. Sense.

And the whole “it’s wrestling, don’t take it so seriously” BS is just a straw-man to justify bad ideas that chase people away. The only people who don’t have a problem with it being silly are still watching.

This isn’t rocket science. If you run a wrestling promotion like a circus, like WWE has been for years, like TNA arguably always was, and like WCW ended up, people are not going to watch.

If you’re not going to take yourself seriously, why will anyone else?
The thing is there is a difference between a few minutes of silliness on a 2 hour show and how much of a deal you are making out of this signing (and this is from someone who bashed said signing earlier in the thread as most definitely not a fan of this signing)

If the rest of the show is good then why should I not watch just cause someone like Marko Stunt is on it occasionally probably not even every week (and in my personal opinion he's honestly the only signing I out and out dislike given I like a bit of comedy in my wrestling as long as it's lower card and very sparing). You not liking more of the wrestlers is an entirely different issue and a much more valid reason for not watching that I completely understand but you seem to be aiming all of that at this signing for some reason.

We ain't holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to watch if you dislike enough of the roster you don't want to that's your choice not everyone can be pleased it is fine to not be a fan. I just don't get how this particular signing is so significant in such a decision for you when it's just one guy and one segment every other week.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
I have a theory that they're putting him in Boy and his Dinosaur because AEW sees bigger things for Jungle Boy and might not want to "type cast" him. Totally inorganic, but they might try to shoehorn Stunt as the "boy" in the team.

(also Luchasaurus seems to have trouble lifting/carrying JB on his shoulders and then walking with his- Marko would be easier).

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
I’m going to address you both with the same overarching point. I’m not likely to be watching AEW. That is the problem.

And stop telling people they don’t know how someone is going to be used as if that is some sage point. It’s that they are being used. There is no base psychology for signing someone like Marko Stunt in an on-air role when you are trying to market wrestling to people. It. Doesn’t. Make. Sense.

And the whole “it’s wrestling, don’t take it so seriously” BS is just a straw-man to justify bad ideas that chase people away. The only people who don’t have a problem with it being silly are still watching.

This isn’t rocket science. If you run a wrestling promotion like a circus, like WWE has been for years, like TNA arguably always was, and like WCW ended up, people are not going to watch.

If you’re not going to take yourself seriously, why will anyone else?
Good. If you don't watch than means you won't be here whinging all the time. You can't please all the people all the time.

You seem to believe AEW needs to cater to your every "want" in a wrestling show and anything less and you'll threaten your continued viewership. But you seem to not realize that your perfect show/company would have other people whinging about how they didn't like it completely and threatening not to watch.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
The thing is there is a difference between a few minutes of silliness on a 2 hour show and how much of a deal you are making out of this signing (and this is from someone who bashed said signing earlier in the thread as most definitely not a fan of this signing)

If the rest of the show is good then why should I not watch just cause someone like Marko Stunt is on it occasionally probably not even every week (and in my personal opinion he's honestly the only signing I out and out dislike given I like a bit of comedy in my wrestling as long as it's lower card and very sparing). You not liking more of the wrestlers is an entirely different issue and a much more valid reason for not watching that I completely understand but you seem to be aiming all of that at this signing for some reason.

We ain't holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to watch if you dislike enough of the roster you don't want to that's your choice not everyone can be pleased it is fine to not be a fan. I just don't get how this particular signing is so significant in such a decision for you when it's just one guy and one segment every other week.
The rest of the show isn't good though. There is some excellent stuff, some good stuff and some really bad stuff. It's not just a few minutes of silliness on a two-hour show, and that little bit of silliness is enough to turn viewers off. Imagine trying to explain Marko Stunt to a lapsed fan. It's baffling.

Good. If you don't watch than means you won't be here whinging all the time. You can't please all the people all the time.

You seem to believe AEW needs to cater to your every "want" in a wrestling show and anything less and you'll threaten your continued viewership. But you seem to not realize that your perfect show/company would have other people whinging about how they didn't like it completely and threatening not to watch.
If people obsessed with wrestling don't watch, I can guarantee you that people who aren't aren't. It's a baaaaaaaad omen.

I don't get where this "you want them to be perfect" shit is coming from. Project harder. I just want things to make sense. I am still yet to see a good explanation for why Tony Khan would pay a tiny man to fight professionally in his wrestling promotion. To make Jungle Boy look bigger is silly, because that will only make him look bigger next to Marko Stunt.

You can't please everybody, but I think they are going about pleasing the wrong sort of people. They will find that out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Disco Inferno hit the nail on the head when he said that Tony Khan needs to get in touch with the people that stopped watching wrestling. Those people will look at that midget and realize that they made the right call. How can that 23 yo KID be considered a pro-wrestler?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Looking at the AEW roster and the biggest red flag right off is a lot of the guys who got signed are pals of Cody and Bucks and not going help AEW much

With Marko Stunt,I watches few of his matches and he going add nothing to the roster I mean he look like 10 year trying to wrestle and he very limted on what he can do

the AEW needs to sign some bigger guys to add to the roster like sunny daza or Ace Romero or the could try to get El Texano Jr

·
Registered
575 Posts
So how do we not know Stunt is going to be a jobber whose job is to help others improve their win-loss records? Are we assuming he’ll actually be a somewhat significant character on the show?

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Disco Inferno hit the nail on the head when he said that Tony Khan needs to get in touch with the people that stopped watching wrestling. Those people will look at that midget and realize that they made the right call. How can that 23 yo KID be considered a pro-wrestler?
This is 100% correct. It's weird to hear it coming from Disco Inferno, but the guy actually has an appreciation for the fundamental fight psychology of what makes wrestling work. But yeah, I think AEW is going to get a huge shock when people actually give AEW a chance, but then what they get is an inconsistent, idiosyncratic product that does its best to contradict the tone it sets with its heavyweight personalities (of which there are some great examples -- Jericho, MJF, Page, Cody, Dustin and even Shawn Spears).

IMO - Marko is like the modern day Hornswoggle

He fill the same type of role
And this is exactly the problem. It sucked when WWE did it. Why is AEW trying to copy WWE? It's fun for people who still follow WWE, because they are hungry for anything else, but when they realize it is more of the same, it's going to cost AEW. Especially out the gate.

So how do we not know Stunt is going to be a jobber whose job is to help others improve their win-loss records? Are we assuming he’ll actually be a somewhat significant character on the show?
We don't know that he is not going to be a jobber, but you don't go out of your way to "hire" jobbers. This would be like starting a boxing promotion and hiring a fighter that you openly admit is a tin can because they have no developed muscles. Put them in there with a credible fighter and you've got believability problems. But it also pollutes the psychology of your card.

If you want jobbers, go and look at the indies and see who is a little green but in pretty good shape. Give a call to fucking D'Lo Brown or Al Snow. I'm sure Lance Storm has a few students that are smooth as silk and could use a little work. You don't need to advertise them or sign them to full-time deals. They can show up, look the part, get their ass kicked and the story told is that the wrestler you are pushing beat up someone that looks like they could at least win a bar fight.

This sort of make believe wrestling only appeals to a niche that still fucking watches. I don't know why people don't get this. Wrestling isn't cool just because you like it and a new billion dollar promotion has come along. You've got reel those lapsed fans in, and you're not going to do so by presenting a product that insults their intelligence because it makes no fucking sense.

Marko Stunt only makes sense as a hire to be backstage personnel, provided he has some relevant skill, or perhaps as an announcer if he could talk. A spoilt rich brat manager? Fine. I don't even buy him fighting people his own weight, because I think fighters that size are usually fucking cut and look like they could punch through glass. Marko Stunt doesn't really project that aesthetic in how he looks or how he carries himself as a performer.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
^Yuck. Stunt forced into this act greatly detracts from it. Seems they want to justify signing Stunt by having a role for him so they stick him in with JB/Luchasaurus.

I know I'm a broken record, but if you wanted to sign the runt, just put him with The Dark Order. Put him under a creeper mask and Evil Uno and Grayson could have used him as a weapon during their matches. Imagine a live "foreign object" to help the heels cheat. It would be unique. Rather than use a chair, or a kendo stick or a megaphone or a tennis racquet they could use a "Marko". He runs in out of the crowd when the ref is distracted and Uno or Grayson grab him and hit their opponents with him, and then Marko runs out. Sort of like those live furniture parties like rich folks have. Marko would never initiate offense himself and never fight back if the Dark Order opponent ever got hold of him. He's basically a live inanimate object for Uno/Grayson to use.

Have him wear a crash helmet over his creeper mask, or as part of it. That could be the part Uno/Grayson use to attack their opponents. Use Stunt as a battering ram, a dart, or swing Marko using the helmet as a mace/melee weapon ball.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I fully expect him to turn on them and join the Dark Order as a rabid pet actually

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hope Kevin Nash is signed by AEW, not as a wrestler. As a manager or something and he jackknifes this little punk through the god damn ring ALA Rey Mysterio 1997.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts