Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
There ya go. Nobody knows what his role will be. He wouldn’t have been my first choice of talent to sign, but I’ll wait to see what they’re going to do with him — and everybody else for that matter — before writing off the whole promotion. People need to stop acting like every little move they make is the defining moment for the whole company. They’ve barely gotten off the ground, they have more signings to go, and they probably haven’t even announced everyone they’ve signed up until now. There’s a long, one way to go, kids. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
The thing is there isn't a role that makes any sense for him on-air that makes any sense. That is the issue. This is the same promotion telling fans that "wins and losses matter." Are you actually trying to be a promotion that takes wrestling seriously or not? This is Hornswoggle in WWE.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
The thing is there isn't a role that makes any sense for him on-air that makes any sense. That is the issue. This is the same promotion telling fans that "wins and losses matter." Are you actually trying to be a promotion that takes wrestling seriously or not? This is Hornswoggle in WWE.
Cool, so we are judging things before they happen. How does signing someone mean wins and losses won't matter. How about you wait and see how he is used before moaning? If he starts beating main eventers or does dumb comedy shit sure moan then. MLW you mentioned early has Jordan Oliver who is the scrawniest motherfucker ever. Am I meant to not take them seriously cause they have him on the roster?

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Cool, so we are judging things before they happen. How does signing someone mean wins and losses won't matter. How about you wait and see how he is used before moaning? If he starts beating main eventers or does dumb comedy shit sure moan then. MLW you mentioned early has Jordan Oliver who is the scrawniest motherfucker ever. Am I meant to not take them seriously cause they have him on the roster?
We're judging things based on whether there is a sane premise for something to happen. I don't need to see "Close-Up of a Dog's Anus" to know that is not the sort of movie I'm going to enjoy. Wins and losses don't matter if some of your fighters are paid tin-cans that you present as big deals. Why would a promoter pay Marko Stunt money to go out and get killed? The thing is, bullshit like this is turning me off from even watching. I'm not obligated to. It is their job to appeal to me. They are fucking failing big time and pissing away a golden opportunity for wrestling on basic cable to mean something again. I don't want him beating anybody. I don't want anybody to beat him up. I don't want anything to do with that sports entertainment-style garbage. It's why I hate WWE.

I am unfamiliar with Jordan Oliver. A quick Google search seems to suggest that he is a legit amateur though. Does he compete against guys that are several feet taller than him, as well as several times heavier? If so, then no, I wouldn't take them seriously either. Why did you phrase it like that was a trick question?

Wrestling really isn't this hard. Why do people get so confused and think you need to have all this ridiculous shit and purposely bad stuff all over it? "Well, he's not a main eventer." That doesn't mean it has to be bat-shit crazy. Where do people get these ideas from? "See, the reason there's a guy with his hands in his pockets is because no one has ever done it before." Wtf? There's a reason for that. Someone needs to put a sign over the entrance way to their next show that says "This is supposed to be a fight." Tony Khan could use it in his office too. Wrestling doesn't need to present itself so fucking silly.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
We're judging things based on whether there is a sane premise for something to happen. I don't need to see "Close-Up of a Dog's Anus" to know that is not the sort of movie I'm going to enjoy. Wins and losses don't matter if some of your fighters are paid tin-cans that you present as big deals. Why would a promoter pay Marko Stunt money to go out and get killed? The thing is, bullshit like this is turning me off from even watching. I'm not obligated to. It is their job to appeal to me. They are fucking failing big time and pissing away a golden opportunity for wrestling on basic cable to mean something again. I don't want him beating anybody. I don't want anybody to beat him up. I don't want anything to do with that sports entertainment-style garbage. It's why I hate WWE.

I am unfamiliar with Jordan Oliver. A quick Google search seems to suggest that he is a legit amateur though. Does he compete against guys that are several feet taller than him, as well as several times heavier? If so, then no, I wouldn't take them seriously either. Why did you phrase it like that was a trick question?

Wrestling really isn't this hard. Why do people get so confused and think you need to have all this ridiculous shit and purposely bad stuff all over it? "Well, he's not a main eventer." That doesn't mean it has to be bat-shit crazy. Where do people get these ideas from? "See, the reason there's a guy with his hands in his pockets is because no one has ever done it before." Wtf? There's a reason for that. Someone needs to put a sign over the entrance way to their next show that says "This is supposed to be a fight." Tony Khan could use it in his office too. Wrestling doesn't need to present itself so fucking silly.
I mentioned it because he looks unrealistic in a fight as well and I don't have any interest in him. However, I watch MLW and ignore the bits with him in it. I am not going to stop watching a wrestling show cause they hired one person I don't like. If you are not going to watch because they hired one person you were unlikely to stick around anyway. Which is your right and you are welcome to do that.

There are different types of wrestling and different things appeal to different people. Heck wins and losses mattering does not even have to be that sporty. It just means someone winning means they get a future title shot or a fucking jobber is not going to become world champion out of nowhere. Aka stories making sense.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
I mentioned it because he looks unrealistic in a fight as well and I don't have any interest in him. However, I watch MLW and ignore the bits with him in it. I am not going to stop watching a wrestling show cause they hired one person I don't like. If you are not going to watch because they hired one person you were unlikely to stick around anyway. Which is your right and you are welcome to do that.

There are different types of wrestling and different things appeal to different people. Heck wins and losses mattering does not even have to be that sporty. It just means someone winning means they get a future title shot or a fucking jobber is not going to become world champion out of nowhere. Aka stories making sense.
It's not only my right, but it's a privilege that most wrestling fans have utilized by choosing to not watch this shit anymore. Most people aren't going to "ignore the bits they don't like." Wtf? In a world spoiled for content choices, you genuinely expect people to watch things they don't want to watch?

Making sense would be great! That is why I am against a wrestling promotion offering a full-time, big money deal to a dude who looks physically underdeveloped. And I am not mocking him for that -- he's a human being and there are all sorts of body shapes in the world. They just can't all be effective at combat sports. At best, this is promoting what South Park used to call a "cripple fight," which I was raised to believe was in poor taste. But nobody thinks about wrestling as a sports-based presentation anymore -- it's all Disney on Ice -- and that is why nobody wants to watch wrestling anymore. They've already got Disney on Ice for that.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
It's not only my right, but it's a privilege that most wrestling fans have utilized by choosing to not watch this shit anymore. Most people aren't going to "ignore the bits they don't like." Wtf? In a world spoiled for content choices, you genuinely expect people to watch things they don't want to watch?

Making sense would be great! That is why I am against a wrestling promotion offering a full-time, big money deal to a dude who looks physically underdeveloped. And I am not mocking him for that -- he's a human being and there are all sorts of body shapes in the world. They just can't all be effective at combat sports. At best, this is promoting what South Park used to call a "cripple fight," which I was raised to believe was in poor taste. But nobody thinks about wrestling as a sports-based presentation anymore -- it's all Disney on Ice -- and that is why nobody wants to watch wrestling anymore. They've already got Disney on Ice for that.
No show is perfect and will always have things you don't like. If you expect a show to 100% cater to just your taste you are living in a bubble. Personally, I am going to wait and see how they use him. If you don't want to watch AEW cause they signed him why that is your choice. Bye bye

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
No show is perfect and will always have things you don't like. If you expect a show to 100% cater to just your taste you are living in a bubble. Personally, I am going to wait and see how they use him. If you don't want to watch AEW cause they signed him why that is your choice. Bye bye
That is an absolute crock of shit. No one is calling for perfection. They're just calling for things not to make no sense and be completely fucking stupid. But where is this idea that wrestling is always going to have stuff you hate on it coming from? I mean, it's not true of any other genre or form either. Excellent TV shows usually don't lure you in with drama and then have Walter White put on a clown nose and start dancing around. Why do you think anything works like that?

And the gatekeeping has begun, for those taking notice of that sort of thing: "If you don't like things on AEW, you either have to put up with them or don't watch. We the real fans will stick by it." Not verbatim, but I paraphrase. That type of fandom is going to make it very hard for new fans to ask questions and engage with this thing.

Can anyone explain to me why Tony Khan paying Marko Stunt (x) amount of dollars to get beaten up makes any sense? Anyone? It's going to be much easier for people to say "bye, bye" than actually watch this stuff.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
That is an absolute crock of shit. No one is calling for perfection. They're just calling for things not to make no sense and be completely fucking stupid. But where is this idea that wrestling is always going to have stuff you hate on it coming from? I mean, it's not true of any other genre or form either. Excellent TV shows usually don't lure you in with drama and then have Walter White put on a clown nose and start dancing around. Why do you think anything works like that?
Again have you seen what they have done with him yet? How about you wait and see how he is used? Someone mentioned he might be a manager like rockstar spud. Also once again wrestling is different from normal TV and has a variety of segments.

But for example, in game of thrones in early seasons (well all seasons) I found Bran dull as fuck. Did I stop watching the whole show cause he was dull? Nah I stayed for the bits I liked. Nothing is perfect. If you want to get as many fans as possible you are going to need variety. And guess what the more people you appeal the more different tastes they will have.

Again I think you only like a certain type of wrestling and the whole show has to be that or you hate it. Which is your right. It doesn't mean everyone else has to like that or moan cause they signed someone you don't like. Would I have signed him? Nah but we don't know what they have planned as he has done nothing yet.

And the gatekeeping has begun, for those taking notice of that sort of thing: "If you don't like things on AEW, you either have to put up with them or don't watch. We the real fans will stick by it." Not verbatim, but I paraphrase. That type of fandom is going to make it very hard for new fans to ask questions and engage with this thing.

Can anyone explain to me why Tony Khan paying Marko Stunt (x) amount of dollars to get beaten up makes any sense? Anyone? It's going to be much easier for people to say "bye, bye" than actually watch this stuff.
Or if you are going to write something off before it happened and say you are not watching (which you said yourself hence the bye bye comments) then yeah. If someone asks questions I am sure people will answer them.

Going with kayfabe

Kid impressed him in tryouts and he wants to give him a chance?

Kid has a decent-sized fanbase outside the company and the promoter saw money in him?

Khan likes seeing competitors of all shapes and sizes compete against each other. There are no weightclasses so that could be a reason.

They hired him to be a manager for someone.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Again have you seen what they have done with him yet? How about you wait and see how he is used? Someone mentioned he might be a manager like rockstar spud. Also once again wrestling is different from normal TV and has a variety of segments.

But for example, in game of thrones in early seasons (well all seasons) I found Bran dull as fuck. Did I stop watching the whole show cause he was dull? Nah I stayed for the bits I liked. Nothing is perfect. If you want to get as many fans as possible you are going to need variety. And guess what the more people you appeal the more different tastes they will have.

Again I think you only like a certain type of wrestling and the whole show has to be that or you hate it. Which is your right. It doesn't mean everyone else has to like that or moan cause they signed someone you don't like. Would I have signed him? Nah but we don't know what they have planned as he has done nothing yet.
If he's a manager, that might be okay. Except it will be kind of weird if he's a heel manager and the goal is to beat up the little guy. I don't really see the need for him to be a babyface manager. Can he even talk? There are a whole bunch of people that would be better for this role.

But again, I reassert -- it's not up to me to be patient with them. And most people aren't going to take a "wait-and-see" approach. When they get to TNT, people will switch over and make a judgment call. If they see Marko Stunt running around they're going to say "Fuck this" and change the channel. I guarantee it.

I don't watch shows that bore me. I don't know why you would do that to yourself. And I disagree entirely with the Barnum philosophy. If you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. People aren't going to watch a two-hour show because there might be 10 minutes they like. It's much more sane to make sense start-to-finish and deliver something that puts one foot in front of the other without some tonal departure randomly because you've got to do something "different" for the sake of it. Nah, that's bullshit.

You can have good shit up and down the card that can appeal to a lot of different people. You can push Nyla Rose as a monster. You can let MJF talk. You can let the Lucha Bros. fly around. You can have Jericho. You can have someone developing like Jungle Boy. But that can all fit into the same philosophical framework. You don't need to introduce leprechauns and goofy gimmicks. That's so...WWE.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
If he's a manager, that might be okay. Except it will be kind of weird if he's a heel manager and the goal is to beat up the little guy. I don't really see the need for him to be a babyface manager. Can he even talk? There are a whole bunch of people that would be better for this role.

But again, I reassert -- it's not up to me to be patient with them. And most people aren't going to take a "wait-and-see" approach. When they get to TNT, people will switch over and make a judgment call. If they see Marko Stunt running around they're going to say "Fuck this" and change the channel. I guarantee it.

I don't watch shows that bore me. I don't know why you would do that to yourself. And I disagree entirely with the Barnum philosophy. If you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. People aren't going to watch a two-hour show because there might be 10 minutes they like. It's much more sane to make sense start-to-finish and deliver something that puts one foot in front of the other without some tonal departure randomly because you've got to do something "different" for the sake of it. Nah, that's bullshit.

You can have good shit up and down the card that can appeal to a lot of different people. You can push Nyla Rose as a monster. You can let MJF talk. You can let the Lucha Bros. fly around. You can have Jericho. You can have someone developing like Jungle Boy. But that can all fit into the same philosophical framework. You don't need to introduce leprechauns and goofy gimmicks. That's so...WWE.
Again I don't think you get my point or you are deliberately not getting it. I am not saying that. What I am saying is I am not turning off because 10 minutes I don't enjoy it when the rest of the show is good.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
No, my point is that those ratios aren’t accurate. AEW has lots of bad on it. Michael Nakazawa, Orange Cassidy, Jimmy Havoc, Joey Janela, Kylie Rae, The Librarians, the WWE-style multi-person matches, WWE-style women’s matches, Marko Stunt, Chuck Taylor — I think is am getting towards the end. That’s more than 10 minutes in a 2-hour show. That’s most of the show.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,922 Posts
Once again, you have no idea how, when or where he's going to be used. Nobody does except AEW. You may never see him on TV, and if you do, it might just be ringside 'support' for Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus like at FFTF. YOU. DON'T. KNOW. If in a few months time he's showing up every week taking Shane McMahon kind of TV time, then you can bitch and moan. But right now, you have no idea how he or anybody else on the roster is going to be used from week to week. None. All you can do right now is take a weak-ass guess based on a couple of ppv's, and it's a pretty sure bet that weekly TV will be an entirely different formula than those.

And please stop with the taking wrestling seriously argument -- it's wrestling, ffs, which at the end of the day is just entertainment and can never really be taken seriously. Just stop with those histrionics.

No, my point is that those ratios aren’t accurate. AEW has lots of bad on it. Michael Nakazawa, Orange Cassidy, Jimmy Havoc, Joey Janela, Kylie Rae, The Librarians, the WWE-style multi-person matches, WWE-style women’s matches, Marko Stunt, Chuck Taylor — I think is am getting towards the end. That’s more than 10 minutes in a 2-hour show. That’s most of the show.
If you think all those guys are bad, then why are you watching. Why are you even here. The weakest bunch in that list is the Librarians, and I even enjoyed the Peter Avalon match enough that I could let my gripes with that act go. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far of every other one of those people for what they are. That's not to say I didn't have issues with a few things, but I've enjoyed the product far more than not so far. And judging by the feedback here, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. I don't know what you're looking for in a wrestling show, but it's looking a lot like you're not going to find it in AEW.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What I like about AEW is that at least it's entertaining. Sure some of it may be cheesy, but at least it's funny and entertaining. They have some interesting characters who at least have some engaging qualities to them. Conversely, that's what I can't stand about the WWE: it's become so damn boring.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
And that is in your opinion. I have enjoyed most of the shows and whilst there have been things I don't like, the majority I don't. And tbh it seems a lot of people still like the majority of the shows too. I mean if you hate most of the show I don't know why you watch. It is why I watch wwe on youtube nowadays.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Once again, you have no idea how, when or where he's going to be used. Nobody does except AEW. You may never see him on TV, and if you do, it might just be ringside 'support' for Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus like at FFTF. YOU. DON'T. KNOW. If in a few months time he's showing up every week taking Shane McMahon kind of TV time, then you can bitch and moan. But right now, you have no idea how he or anybody else on the roster is going to be used from week to week. None. All you can do right now is take a weak-ass guess based on a couple of ppv's, and it's a pretty sure bet that weekly TV will be an entirely different formula than those.

And please stop with the taking wrestling seriously argument -- it's wrestling, ffs, which at the end of the day is just entertainment and can never really be taken seriously. Just stop with those histrionics.

If you think all those guys are bad, then why are you watching. Why are you even here. The weakest bunch in that list is the Librarians, and I even enjoyed the Peter Avalon match enough that I could let my gripes with that act go. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far of every other one of those people for what they are. That's not to say I didn't have issues with a few things, but I've enjoyed the product far more than not so far. And judging by the feedback here, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. I don't know what you're looking for in a wrestling show, but it's looking a lot like you're not going to find it in AEW.
And that is in your opinion. I have enjoyed most of the shows and whilst there have been things I don't like, the majority I don't. And tbh it seems a lot of people still like the majority of the shows too. I mean if you hate most of the show I don't know why you watch. It is why I watch wwe on youtube nowadays.
I’m going to address you both with the same overarching point. I’m not likely to be watching AEW. That is the problem.

And stop telling people they don’t know how someone is going to be used as if that is some sage point. It’s that they are being used. There is no base psychology for signing someone like Marko Stunt in an on-air role when you are trying to market wrestling to people. It. Doesn’t. Make. Sense.

And the whole “it’s wrestling, don’t take it so seriously” BS is just a straw-man to justify bad ideas that chase people away. The only people who don’t have a problem with it being silly are still watching.

This isn’t rocket science. If you run a wrestling promotion like a circus, like WWE has been for years, like TNA arguably always was, and like WCW ended up, people are not going to watch.

If you’re not going to take yourself seriously, why will anyone else?

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,413 Posts
Mmh. I am not so sure about this.
I am not a fan of this contract, but I have no big problem with this signing, if they got a few ideas to use him here on there. But on the other hand: they already signed a few people, where I am suprised in a bad way. If he was the last one of this kind: no problem.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
The last Librarian stuff on Fight for the Fallen was actually ok. NO not saying it was great but I could see it being something fun you want to boo or shhhhh at, at a very minimal time. Also not a fan of Marko but let's see where this ends up.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts