Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
As I've said before, they need to figure out how to properly separate this shit. However, people are so obsessed with pushing their own brand, that they look for any type of exposure to be relevant. Either go on talk shows and say "My name's Colby Lopez, but my character Seth Rollins is a slimy POS" or go on talk shows as that slimy POS and call out whoever you're feuding with. Kit Harrington didn't go on talk shows and pretend to be John Snow to promote GOT. He would talk about his personal life and talk about things related to the character.

Honestly, I think this all stems from HHH and Stephanie. They will literally air a commercial where they promote Make a Wish and show them hugging kids and smiling for cameras. On the SAME SHOW, they will come out and talk down to everyone, tell all the fans they are stupid, and heel it up as much as possible. Sorry, you can't have it both ways. The fans don't know what to think and their natural emotion of "GRRRR HEEL BOOO" is replaced with "HUH???"

Have separate social media accounts. Have a Seth Rollins account where he plays up the whole Messiah gimmick, take shots at people, and acts 100% heel. Then have a Colby Lopez account where you post pictures of you and Becky visit mountains and shit.

If social media existed back in 1998, do you think Austin would be posting pictures of him and Vince shaking hands at Press Conferences and photo shoots?
This is a huge contribution to why WWE can't make new stars that STICK with audiences.these days. Storylines are not hitting home with viewers anymore because people are trained to suspend disbelief, but the powers that be are confused as hell on what they want.

First and foremost though they don't want to be a pro wrestling company when they are in fact a pro wrestling company. They want to be known as an entertainment company and they are still getting called out as phony.

That alone should be a wake up call they need to actually be the artform they actually are. They are never going to win over the masses that they are some form of sophisticated entertainment in Hollywood.

Their biggest star on the planet is a pro wrestler and people still see his past profession in a derogatory manner although it was a huge reason why he was a box office draw to begin with.

·
I know I'm dope, but don't wet that.
10,933 Posts
Clad is such a culture vulture. It baffles me why people still continue to entertain him on his platform.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Clad is such a culture vulture. It baffles me why people still continue to entertain him on his platform.
This!!

If you know Vlad and what people say about him you understand why Mark Henry responded the way he did 😀

He probably thought he was being "investigative" lol.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
This is a huge contribution to why WWE can't make new stars that STICK with audiences.these days. Storylines are not hitting home with viewers anymore because people are trained to suspend disbelief, but the powers that be are confused as hell on what they want.

First and foremost though they don't want to be a pro wrestling company when they are in fact a pro wrestling company. They want to be known as an entertainment company and they are still getting called out as phony.
This all stems from Vince not wanting to be who he actually is. He wants people to think he's some sophisticated socialite, born and raised in big city New York, when he actually was born in North Carolina and didn't even meet his father till he was 12.

He associates "rasslin" with the south(his upbringing) and therefore, hates it. He associates "sports entertainment" with New York, and therefore it's "high brow entertainment". It's the same reason he wont let people use the term "wrestlers" or "belts", because he thinks he is more sophisticated than those "rasslin words" and uses terms such as "superstars" or "championships". He's built his entire philosophy on hiding who he is and being someone he's not.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It boggles my mind how these guys still get upset over people calling it fake. You’d think hearing this criticism over and over again, it would no longer have any weight. Wrestlers/Fans that still get worked up over it are easily being played. This shouldn’t still be causing a sweat off your back.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Reads the comments in this thread

watches video

Anyone calling Mark angry or even having this real vs fake debate either didn't watch the video or completely missed Mark's point

He's 100% right by the way

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
That is why this thread took a wrong turn lol.

I do think people who are INTERVIEWING wrestlers using the word fake is to mock their profession though. Do you see interviewers talking about an actor's movie and using the word fake?

WWE does not portray itself as pure sport and hasn't since 1985 when they first got huge mainstream buzz. Vince Mcmahon called it sports entertainment and proclaimed himself the "Walt Disney Of Wrestling" in 1986 with Larry King.

The he broke kayfabe the biggest way in 1989 in LEGAL PROCEEDINGS.

People calling it fake sound silly to me being in the media. This is not 1920 it's 2020. Put some respect on some of these wrestler's name. Vlad was being slick if you know how he does interviews. It's why you won't see a CEO like this on his show lol.

You get a USA Olympian on your show and you want to make fun of his profession that he made his living from? LOL.

Vlad should have called him out for that Mae Young birth storyline, but he probably doesn't know about it or just knows better to not go there lol.
Yeah I watch Vlad interviews dude can get criminals to admit anything damn near lol. But yeah he was definitely mocking there. But unfortunately pro wrestlers will always have to deal with that in the US unless you make it mega star big. It's sort of like how folk look down on NASCAR drivers here.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Wrestling is fake Mark.

I'd love to see like, fucking Stipe Miocic say it's fake and then see how tough all of these "I'll kick ur ass!" rasslers are who don't actually fight. Yes bumping probably hurts. And wrestling takes a physical tole on your body, but it's fake fighting posing as real combat. It is by literal definition fake. It's just such a fucking stupid reaction to me. I'm going to prove my fake fighting isn't fake by beating you up even though I'm not a trained professional fighter but a fake one!!
When McGregor called it fake a few years ago Henry said Dolph Ziggler could kick his ass haha

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Wrestlers are essentially stunt workers. Yes the moves and fights are fake but they still hurt because of the physical aspect of hitting the mat constantly and I know those rings aren't soft they are made of plywood so taking bumps hurts like a bitch. I know I would not want to be hitting a wooden ring off the top rope back first like from 5 feet in the air. That shit would hurt like a mofo.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Weird. Is gymnastics fake? Are stuntmen fake? Fake is a shitty way to describe what these guys risk their lives for, man. No matter how you spin it
Yeah especially seeing a majority of wrestlers get side lined with some kind of injury during their careers.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I find it strange how there's an obsession with calling wrestling fake. You could apply the same rigorous criticism to anything. John Wick? it's fake. Lord of the Rings? fake too. They're not actually fighting. But no one goes to a cinema and politely reminds the audience that, despite the impressive visuals, the events of the movie aren't actually happening.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wrestling is fake in that the storylines and matches are predetermined. As we know, mistakes do happen and those guys do get hurt. Remember this PSA that they would show before Raw or Smackdown?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
this wasnt a big deal at all. Mark was even smilling when he said it. he was joking. but of course there needs to be thread about it and people who bash Henry for no reason. ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Yeah I think most of us knew Vince himself doesn't give a shit. That's the same guy who will mock a dead wrestler to push a storyline and wanted to do an angle where he impregnated his daughter. The wrestlers who's childhood dream it was to be a wrestler and did not transition from some other sport like power lifting and football, I bet they would care.
Vince also wanted Kane’s character in See No Evil to have a 3 Foot C*ck and he wanted him to pull it out in a scene.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts