Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,520 Posts
People and even wrestling fans who call wrestling fake, show absolutely no respect for the people who have LITERALLY DIED for this shit
The majority is fake though.

In an era 50 years ago where kayfabe was alive, sure I can understand wrestlers being annoyed at it being questioned as fake as part of their act was maintaining the illusion of it being real. Almost like magicians, part of their act was to make you believe its real.

But in modern era? Where kayfabe has been dead for 30 years? Everyone knows its not real.

I never understood the comparisons to movies or TV series' either. Sure, Raw IS a TV show but its live and the premise of it is live action of fake punches and kicks and pretending rest holds hurt. You can't compare that to anything else.

"oh but Game of Thrones has dragons" - and? They aren't live, where fake dragons would look ridiculously stupid. It's a story full of characters and intricate details thats designed to have a start and a finish with a designated plot. Wrestling is live, it has no end date or one designated plot to get you from one end to the other, it has to keep going.

I feel like I'm just rambling now but I'm sure you get the point.

People who moan or get butthurt over the fake thing just seem weird to me and they tend to get overly defensive too.

Its entertainment at the end of the day. Why get hurt over it?

I mean I call it fake and I have respect to everyone one of the guys who wrestle every night to get a pay cheque for something they love.

FFS, Vince has called it fake numerous times. I'm sure he respects alot of the people he's paid money.

·
Registered
21,519 Posts
Wrestling is fake Mark.

I'd love to see like, fucking Stipe Miocic say it's fake and then see how tough all of these "I'll kick ur ass!" rasslers are who don't actually fight. Yes bumping probably hurts. And wrestling takes a physical tole on your body, but it's fake fighting posing as real combat. It is by literal definition fake. It's just such a fucking stupid reaction to me. I'm going to prove my fake fighting isn't fake by beating you up even though I'm not a trained professional fighter but a fake one!!

A mark named Mark gets offended because someone stated that wrestling is fake. Wrestling IS fake. Does calling it "pre-determined" soften the blow to the ego for the wrestlers or something? Please, grow the f*** up.

This guy is an idiot isn't he?

Henry's parents really chose the proper name for him when they called him Mark.

He said he was going to beat him up jokingly

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,284 Posts
Without kayfabe this stuff sucks. Every single wink AEW does at the camera loses viewers. Their fan base is dwindling. Wrestlings fan base is shrinking because these people don't take it seriously and embrace the word fake. Look at MJF as the perfect example. Completely average in the ring. But he takes this shit seriously and is touted as the future. I wonder why? Kayfabe being dead doesn't help this business in the slightest. It's killing it.

Wrestling is basically gymnastics in a ring. A choreographed show to entertain people. A dance, a show. It hasn't claimed to be real for 30 years. They aren't pretending to fight anymore, they're simply pro wrestling. Yes, it is predetermined and choreographed but stop using it as an excuse to be fucking terrible. If the wrestlers decide that the word fake is offensive to their art, why do you fat slobs at home on your couches care? Because it makes you feel close to the Young Bucks for sharing the same opinion, right? Makes you feel smart and in the know. Congratulations, you know something everyone over the age of 10 knows. Do we justify terrible decisions in movies by saying it's fake? Nah.

Also for those who have any idea about the English language, if the meaning of Kayfabe is presenting staged performances as genuine or authentic and it is dead, then how the fuck is wrestling still attempting to trick or deceive anyone. Spoiler alert, it's not and therefore doesn't match any definition of the word fake.
You could have just wrote " I'm offended" and saved yourself a lot of time.

Big talk from someone who is clearly getting wound up by the word fake being used. Despite what you think its not just a buzz word or and edgy word to most people. I give it no more thought than it simply is fake. If that upsets you, then maybe you should get off the internet.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
You could have just wrote " I'm offended" and saved yourself a lot of time.

Big talk from someone who is clearly getting wound up by the word fake being used. Despite what you think its not just a buzz word or and edgy word to most people. I give it no more thought than it simply is fake. If that upsets you, then maybe you should get off the internet.
I'm more offended by cop out wrestling arguments and a lack of conviction in certain people's arguments to the point where they almost always refuse to back their points in an actual debate. I'm not offended, I just think yours is a weak argument. It's only ever used to insult wrestlers and that should be enough to not want to use it to describe what they do.

·
Registered
838 Posts
"Wrestling is fake" oddly seems to be a hot topic in 2020.. I'm a fan of Tom segura and the your mom's house podcast and even they have recently been taking jabs at wrestling. Strange times we're living in...

Anyone saying wrestling is fake in 2020 can only be saying it to offend wrestlers and their fans. You're not breaking news to anyone over the age of 5 that the fights are predetermined.

What I don't understand is why it bothers people so much. Like movies, or plays, or TV shows follow a script. People are so strange

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
It's the word "fake" that is the issue. Everyone knows it's staged, but specifically using the word "fake" over "predetermined", "staged" or something else I could totally see why a wrestler would find that disrespectful. That's a derogatory way of describing it.

·
17,520 Posts
It's the word "fake" that is the issue. Everyone knows it's staged, but specifically using the word "fake" over "predetermined", "staged" or something else I could totally see why a wrestler would find that disrespectful. That's a derogatory way of describing it.
That's because wrestlers misinterpret the word 'fake'

The word fake means something that is not genuine. That's fact. What we see is not genuine. They're not really punching, kicking or hurting eachother to the extent that's to be believed.

I truly believe modern day wrestlers don't particularly care if its called fake and will probably call it that themselves. The fact Ronda does it (as an obvious work) and is allowed to do it shows no one gives a shit.

Again, it's fans who seem to care more about it than wrestlers do. It's fans who get defensive over it. Its fans who care more ahout ratings. It's fans who get defensive over booking etc.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
That's because wrestlers misinterpret the word 'fake'

The word fake means something that is not genuine. That's fact. What we see is not genuine. They're not really punching, kicking or hurting eachother to the extent that's to be believed.

I truly believe modern day wrestlers don't particularly care if its called fake and will probably call it that themselves. The fact Ronda does it (as an obvious work) and is allowed to do it shows no one gives a shit.

Again, it's fans who seem to care more about it than wrestlers do. It's fans who get defensive over it. Its fans who care more ahout ratings. It's fans who get defensive over booking etc.
Ronda calling it fake was a work to piss off wrestling fans. Ronda also didn't start in pro wrestling, she started in MMA where the fanbase loves to shit on wrestling so that was done purposefully to build Mania.

I disagree that most modern day wrestler are totally fine with hearing their job described as fake over other terms. Maybe guys like Strowman who don't really care and just coasting by would be ok with describing it as fake but doubt the majority particularly like the term. The more it's embraced how "fake" it is and the more they keep breaking kayfabe so casually, the more it will contribute to the downfall of wrestling.

·
17,520 Posts
Ronda calling it fake was a work to piss off wrestling fans. Ronda also didn't start in pro wrestling, she started in MMA where the fanbase loves to shit on wrestling so that was done purposefully to build Mania.

I disagree that most modern day wrestler are totally fine with hearing their job described as fake over other terms. Maybe guys like Strowman who don't really care and just coasting by would be ok with describing it as fake but doubt the majority particularly like the term. The more it's embraced how "fake" it is and the more they keep breaking kayfabe so casually, the more it will contribute to the downfall of wrestling.
A work..... Created by Vince McMahon. The owner of the largest wrestling company to ever exist.

Vince obliterated kayfabe in 1989 mate. There's no more "keep breaking kayfabe" it's done. There's nothing more to break.

FFS, HHH literally has "plays a bad guy on TV" in his Twitter page. They don't give a shit mate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wrestling is fake Mark.

I'd love to see like, fucking Stipe Miocic say it's fake and then see how tough all of these "I'll kick ur ass!" rasslers are who don't actually fight. Yes bumping probably hurts. And wrestling takes a physical tole on your body, but it's fake fighting posing as real combat. It is by literal definition fake. It's just such a fucking stupid reaction to me. I'm going to prove my fake fighting isn't fake by beating you up even though I'm not a trained professional fighter but a fake one!!
Yet you wouldn't have the balls to say this shit to Mark face lmao sit down

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
A work..... Created by Vince McMahon. The owner of the largest wrestling company to ever exist.

Vince obliterated kayfabe in 1989 mate. There's no more "keep breaking kayfabe" it's done. There's nothing more to break.

FFS, HHH literally has "plays a bad guy on TV" in his Twitter page. They don't give a shit mate.
Yeah I think most of us knew Vince himself doesn't give a shit. That's the same guy who will mock a dead wrestler to push a storyline and wanted to do an angle where he impregnated his daughter. The wrestlers who's childhood dream it was to be a wrestler and did not transition from some other sport like power lifting and football, I bet they would care.

·
17,520 Posts
Yeah I think most of us knew Vince himself doesn't give a shit. That's the same guy who will mock a dead wrestler to push a storyline and wanted to do an angle where he impregnated his daughter. The wrestlers who's childhood dream it was to be a wrestler and did not transition from some other sport like power lifting and football, I bet they would care.
Again, I doubt it.

They know it's fake and they grew up with wrestling that had zero kayfabe.

Again, if they are offended. They are misinterpreting the word fake as if its some detriment to what they do.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Again, I doubt it.

They know it's fake and they grew up with wrestling that had zero kayfabe.

Again, if they are offended. They are misinterpreting the word fake as if its some detriment to what they do.
OK, then if you feel so strongly about this and so sure that "nobody gives a shit" next time you meet a wrestler at some convention or event, go up to them and say "hey are you that fake wrestler from TV?" and come back here and report the results.

·
17,520 Posts
OK, then if you feel so strongly about this and so sure that "nobody gives a shit" next time you meet a wrestler at some convention or event, go up to them and say "hey are you that fake wrestler from TV?" and come back here and report the results.
They aren't fake wrestlers. They are real professional wrestlers, that's their profession. Fake wrestlers are the ones in GLOW (minus Kong)

What they portray is fake. What don't you understand? Why does it bother you?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
This era of wrestlers don't give a shit about anything kayfabe. You can see the most despicable heel out of character, hugging a baby and playing with puppies on Instagram while liking every supportive comment fans post. It's a joke. I just saw Otis on a podcast speaking out of character talking about being bullied as a child in his regular voice. Zelina and Alistair have a Youtube channel together and then on RAW we see her in Andrade's corner as he's facing Black. We all know it's fake but I hate how much access we have about the personal lives of wrestlers and how accepted it is to break kayfabe.
As I've said before, they need to figure out how to properly separate this shit. However, people are so obsessed with pushing their own brand, that they look for any type of exposure to be relevant. Either go on talk shows and say "My name's Colby Lopez, but my character Seth Rollins is a slimy POS" or go on talk shows as that slimy POS and call out whoever you're feuding with. Kit Harrington didn't go on talk shows and pretend to be John Snow to promote GOT. He would talk about his personal life and talk about things related to the character.

Honestly, I think this all stems from HHH and Stephanie. They will literally air a commercial where they promote Make a Wish and show them hugging kids and smiling for cameras. On the SAME SHOW, they will come out and talk down to everyone, tell all the fans they are stupid, and heel it up as much as possible. Sorry, you can't have it both ways. The fans don't know what to think and their natural emotion of "GRRRR HEEL BOOO" is replaced with "HUH???"

Have separate social media accounts. Have a Seth Rollins account where he plays up the whole Messiah gimmick, take shots at people, and acts 100% heel. Then have a Colby Lopez account where you post pictures of you and Becky visit mountains and shit.

If social media existed back in 1998, do you think Austin would be posting pictures of him and Vince shaking hands at Press Conferences and photo shoots?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
He said he was going to beat him up jokingly
That is why this thread took a wrong turn lol.

I do think people who are INTERVIEWING wrestlers using the word fake is to mock their profession though. Do you see interviewers talking about an actor's movie and using the word fake?

WWE does not portray itself as pure sport and hasn't since 1985 when they first got huge mainstream buzz. Vince Mcmahon called it sports entertainment and proclaimed himself the "Walt Disney Of Wrestling" in 1986 with Larry King.

The he broke kayfabe the biggest way in 1989 in LEGAL PROCEEDINGS.

People calling it fake sound silly to me being in the media. This is not 1920 it's 2020. Put some respect on some of these wrestler's name. Vlad was being slick if you know how he does interviews. It's why you won't see a CEO like this on his show lol.

You get a USA Olympian on your show and you want to make fun of his profession that he made his living from? LOL.

Vlad should have called him out for that Mae Young birth storyline, but he probably doesn't know about it or just knows better to not go there lol.

·
Hardcore Casual
755 Posts
Fake means not real. You can see it and touch it therefore it is real.
Fake can also mean inauthentic, I.e. when you present something as legitimate when it actually isn't.

On topic:

I don't think anybody would ever argue that wrestling isn't predetermined or a work. But as others pointed our, "fake" is purposely dirisive. All forms of fictitious scripted entertainment is fake by the same definition: what you see is predetermined and not at all an actual reflection of reality.

But then, think of how silly one would sound calling fiction "fake." It misses the point entirely of a well-crafted story, which is to explore human emotion and existentialism through a creative medium. There's a lot of things you can level at professional wrestling, but I think fake is among the laziest.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I just show people the Sid Vicious Leg break when they tell me Wrestling is fake.

I don't care people think it's fake but its the patronising way they tell me it is as if I still believe it's real.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts