Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, he reiterated in the interview that he doesn’t need to fix AEW, just ‘turn the screw’ to make things tighter.

But everything he mentioned are things that need fixing. Repetition, the impression that the wrestlers don’t watch other matches, and as a consequence, such repetition buries other wrestler’s impact moves. He specifically mentioned the Young Bucks and their super kicks. If every other match has a super kick, or four, does that not slightly lessen the significance of the move?

For example, when Shawn Michaels wrestled, no-one else did a super kick that night (or hardly anyone) so when he did it, it meant everything.

Other things included how much you give back to the community and the knowledge of the wrestling that came before are important also, so the wrestlers know and appreciate the Genesis of what they are doing and dial it back a bit.
It’s a question of what happen first. The viewer becomes desensitised to the madness on TV each week or the wrestles get seriously hurt in the pursuit of the next big pop?

I have absolutely no qualms with what Mark Henry said. None.

And to our friends (legitimately) attempting to tie Mark Henry down to what he said, might I ask you to cast your mind back to what was promised by Tony Khan and the EVP’s before AEW started and compare it to what was produced since.

Lastly, what are people likely to pay attention to?

1) “I like what you’re doing, and see what you’ve done so far, maybe if you do this, do that, pull back bit on that element, this might happen. It’d be beneficial and let me explain the thinking behind it. Hope you’ve got a pen….”

Or

2) “What the heck is that?! Total rubbish, it’s all absolute toilet. Rip the damn thing up, and stop embarrassing yourself and me!”

The defence rests, your honour….

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
He is 100% right! I can hardly watch a whole AEW show because I feel like I am watching the same match over and over! These Indy Darlings need to listen to a guy like Mark because he started with WWE when it was at its lowest point and was there for the highest of highs. Yes, you can be different from WWE, but you can learn from their biggest successes.

The vast majority of the roster are green when it comes to performing on a weekly, nationally televised show. They are clearly ignoring advice from seasoned vets and legends that they have access to and sticking to what worked for them in the HS gyms, County Fairs and Bingo Halls.

If they don't accept criticism like this and apply to better themselves and their product, AEW will never be more than it is now. Even worse, fans will tire and go away. WWE lost A LOT of fans being stuck in their ways and AEW will as well. Difference is, WWE has an embarrassment of riches to fall back on and the ability to make adjustments and rebound if pushed too far back against the wall.

·
None. More. Hated.
Tuck Your Chin.
9,406 Posts
Haven't guys like Arn, Tully, Jake, Jerry Lynn, Billy Gunn, Dean Malenko, etc been there since the inception of the company I'm sure saying the same things?

Mark Henry of all people will be the gamechanger why exactly?

·
rasslin
7,182 Posts
Haven't guys like Arn, Tully, Jake, Jerry Lynn, Billy Gunn, Dean Malenko, etc been there since the inception of the company I'm sure saying the same things?

Mark Henry of all people will be the gamechanger why exactly?
Maybe he could beat some sense into them.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
No argument from me on this, he's 100% right.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
AEW is entertaining but it is shockingly repetitive for a company that hasn't been around very long. There is a post match brawl after probably 80% of their matches. There is blood on almost every single show. Everyone is in a stable. I'm not saying this stuff isn't entertaining, but there does seem to be a complete lack of overall direction and the talent seems to be able to do whatever they want even if it steps on the toes of other talent. It's better than WWE where you get no freedom at all but it still needs to be reigned in a bit.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
8,941 Posts
You don't bite the hand that feeds you on live TV. Why do you think no one on wwe criticises booking on air?
No one criticizes WWE on air because they´re in character. Henry was brought in as a commentator and advisor. He was not a character in that segment, he was the person Mark Henry. And if they don´t want people to remember he said it, then he shouldn´t have said it to begin with. Like Pepperidge Farm, the Internet remembers.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I love the Bucks doing superkicks. Why are there three matches on the card where someone does a superkick before them? If that was me, I would be upset about it.”
All of this!!!

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Mark Henry spoke the truth without shitting on the guys he is trying to help, so they’ll be more inclined to listen.

“I like what you did here, but what if instead of X, we do Y…”

vs

“That’s not right. Do it this way!!!”

You always catch more bees with honey than you do with Bullshit.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Mark Henry spoke the truth without shitting on the guys he is trying to help, so they’ll be more inclined to listen.

“I like what you did here, but what if instead of X, we do Y…”

vs

“That’s not right. Do it this way!!!”

You always catch more bees with honey than you do with Bullshit.
You nailed it. He isn't trying to take away from what AEW fans love about the show, but instead he wants to give the audience a chance to digest everything and make things feel special.

He is right that the show doesn't need to be fixed, it needs the edges sanded down so that it can be accepted by a larger audience. It does come from the top down though. The main players need to lead by example by being open to the feedback as well. The Young Bucks being seen talking with Mark Henry and implementing those suggestions on the show can go a long way. Khan also needs to have some sort of big meeting discussing talent using the veterans.

·
Registered
AVALONS #1 FAN/ AEW REVIEW BO$$
2,703 Posts
Why is Mark Henry even employed by AEW and when did we start looking up to him as a creative genius?
Hes been grooming himself to takeover a bigger backstage role for years. He was intending on doing this on WWE but they are turning over employees left and right. Henry has alot of knowledge and will be a huge asset to the company.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts