Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He said he's not here to fix AEW, but that seems to be exactly what he's doing. This is a good start and I want to see more of it.

“We have to work on the social media aspect of what’s going out and what’s being portrayed that you want to be an example of what people see. AEW is more brash and has more of an adult feel, but you have to counter-balance that. You have to do stuff in the community and with live events where you give back to the city and be an example instead of a problem.

Wrestling-wise, I want to see less… I want everyone to watch the matches before them because there is a repetition thing. Someone will do a tope and the next match will have two topes and the next will have three. Stop trying to out-do what you saw before and find something else to do. Repetition is a pet peeve of mine and I feel you’re not watching the product if you go do something and someone else did the same thing. I love the Bucks doing superkicks. Why are there three matches on the card where someone does a superkick before them? If that was me, I would be upset about it.”

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I just hope that he isn't critical of the product while he is commentating because that always kills my buzz when JR does it

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
one of the Good things i like in AEW
is that Wrestling Legends have the freedom to speak their mind
(unfortunate the backlash they get from the hrdcore fans though)
a statement like this would never happen in WWE
and he's not wrong in anything he said by the way

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one of the Good things i like in AEW
is that Wrestling Legends have the freedom to speak their mind
(unfortunate the backlash they get from the hrdcore fans though)
a statement like this would never happen in WWE
and he's not wrong in anything he said by the way
I agree with everything you said except "a statement like this would never happen in WWE." Corey Graves is very critical of the shitty booking on his podcast.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I agree with everything you said except "a statement like this would never happen in WWE." Corey Graves is very critical of the shitty booking on his podcast.
i don't listen or watch anything WWE
so honestly i don't know if it's real or just a heel commentator Gimmick

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Anyway, I agree there is too much repetition in AEW matches. Especially, for specific moves like the Canadian Destroyer or a springboard cutter, which should be rare (as in only one guy on the roster does them).

On the other hand, I can't think of a great Mark Henry match, so hopefully he's a better idea man than a wrestler LOL.

Edit: This Mark Henry interview is really great to listen. Mostly Mark talking about things he cooked

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
AEW only has one major problem. Storyline continuity and a little lack of ruthlessness. Their ideas are good. Their roster is good. Their characters are good. Their matches are good. But they have no weekly or bi-weekly flow to their show and they use too many nobodies.

In short they have no writers that keep a coherent flowing product and write appearances for the MAIN roster only. You cannot build an attachment to a character, if they are on the show, then disappear for four weeks before the story gets picked up again.

I don´t know what the dude does that wrote the Styles/Ambrose/Ellsworth era Smackdown that threatened to overtake Raw in the ratings, but he was a master at giving the wrestlers creative freedom/coherent storylines, but still keeping perfect oversight and a smooth red-line flow. If they got that guy to write and oversee their shows, they could easily reach 1.0-1.2 on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The young talent and TK never listened to:

Dean Malenko
Taz
Jerry Lynn
Billy Gunn
Jake Roberts
Tully Blanchard
Arn Anderson
Jim Ross
Maybe too early to say but very likely Paul Wight

So why would they listen to Mark Henry? As far as I can tell, Jericho and Matt Hardy are the only veterans anyone listens to there, unfortunately. I guess Sting has helped Darby, so there's that.

·
Registered
13,350 Posts

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
I think it's fine to do that on a podcast but not live, you don't want to give reasons to the viewers to not like the match

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
8,990 Posts
the words shoot and Vince McMahon together ??
i find it hard to believe
Controlled shoot. Whatever he talks about obviouslt has to be approved by the office. I don´t even think SCSA is above this if he wants to be on their network. Or maybe Steve is just smart enough to know what topics to avoid.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Controlled shoot. Whatever he talks about obviouslt has to be approved by the office. I don´t even think SCSA is above this if he wants to be on their network. Or maybe Steve is just smart enough to know what topics to avoid.
Steve and Jericho were given free reign by Vince to discuss AEW on his airwaves. He's not nearly as much of a despot as dirt sheets want you to believe.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Couldn't agree more. When you see 5 different wrestlers handing out DESTROYERS! like they're candy on Halloween it gets ridiculous. You're flipping over and doing like a 360 piledriver driving someone down on their head. If that's not a finisher then what is?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts