Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week it was announced Randy Orton and AJ Styles will meet in the ring at WrestleMania 35 on April 7. On Busted Open, WWE Hall of Famer Mark Henry spoke about the match and considers it to be in the running as a main event match and shouldn't be looked at as "filler."

"This is one of those matches that people look at and go, 'it's not filler,'" Henry said. "These are both stars, both guys have been champion multiple times and as much as we want to see Daniel Bryan and Kofi in the main event, we want to see what's gonna happen with Charlotte, Becky, and Ronda as a main event, or Seth Rollins and Brock as a main event. [AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton] is a main event match! It's a main event match, guys!"

Henry spoke highly of both wrestlers, noting that Orton is making his way into the top 10 or 15 best wrestlers of all-time. For Styles, he's proven that he can perform at a high level no matter what company he's worked for and Henry considered him among the elite to hold the title in WWE.

"Randy Orton, in my opinion, he's not on Mount Rushmore yet, but he's slowly entering that top 15 or top 10 of all-time," Henry continued. "He is that damn good and then AJ Styles, from the time he was an indie guy, worked his way up, worked down south, to now coming to the WWE. He did everything at every level that there is to do and he has become an elite champion. Not just a champion, but one of the guy that can carry the load, and he has carried it for the last two years. So why wouldn't this be in the conversation as a main event match at WrestleMania?"
Source.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,517 Posts
Praise be I'm glad he thinks highly of AJ as an Elite superstar internationally and in the WWE, As for Orton being in the top 10 he's well accomplished and it's fairly arguable placing him in the top 15 or perhaps 20 but not top 10.

·
Scarring the Night Sky
5,407 Posts
Well, it definitely does feel like the biggest match coming from SmackDown, so Henry's not wrong. Two of the best in-ring workers in the world and two main-event stars.

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
Well, on paper, sometimes whether it's what they have or not, sometimes, you just have The Undertaker vs. Triple H at WrestleMania 17, it wasn't the most built long-term feud, a must see workrate-centric match or anything like that, it was just two stars who landed where the cards did and still added up to a WrestleMania match. Sometimes all it takes is just two stars facing off and that's what you get. That's what this will be for WrestleMania 35 and that's okay!

Reactions: Even Flow

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Course not. The match has just recently started taking off and everybody has eyes on this. Tells you everything yoy need to know about WWE's booking. ???

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
He lost any credibility he might have had when he said Randy Orton is top 10 or 15 of all time.

I'm still yet to figure out why anybody wants to see this match. Randy Orton has never had a great match, and AJ Styles has only had 1 or 2. Especially recently, he's lost a step and his performances consistently disappoint. I guess if you think just performing moves smootly with zero flow is a great match, but I expect a structure. Given Henrys ability, I guess I shouldn't be surprised why he's so high on Styles and Orton, comparing them to himself.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
He lost any credibility he might have had when he said Randy Orton is top 10 or 15 of all time.

I'm still yet to figure out why anybody wants to see this match. Randy Orton has never had a great match, and AJ Styles has only had 1 or 2. Especially recently, he's lost a step and his performances consistently disappoint. I guess if you think just performing moves smootly with zero flow is a great match, but I expect a structure. Given Henrys ability, I guess I shouldn't be surprised why he's so high on Styles and Orton, comparing them to himself.
Did you watch their promo on SD? Given the guys involved, it was A LOT better than you would expect. I actually kinda care now, and I usually find both dull as shit.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
Did you watch their promo on SD? Given the guys involved, it was A LOT better than you would expect. I actually kinda care now, and I usually find both dull as shit.
I hadn't, but I heard about it, and just watched it, and I feel like you just stole 5 minutes of my life from me that I want back. It wasn't better than I expected. I expected it to suck, and it sucked. Both of these fuckers are duller than white paint and I still don't care. They both need a personality transplant.

Neither the promos nor the in ring work, nor probably anything that these two could conjure up is going to get me to give a single fuck.

It baffles me every day how wrestling has come to THIS. Wrestling used to have personality. Where did we go so wrong to end up in a place where THIS is acceptable?

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,612 Posts
Nothing about Randy Orton has ever screamed main event. It's bad enough he headlined Wrestlemania twice already. His first against Hunter was one of the dullest WM main events of all time. And the second would have been shit if not for Daniel Bryan.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I hadn't, but I heard about it, and just watched it, and I feel like you just stole 5 minutes of my life from me that I want back. It wasn't better than I expected. I expected it to suck, and it sucked. Both of these fuckers are duller than white paint and I still don't care. They both need a personality transplant.

Neither the promos nor the in ring work, nor probably anything that these two could conjure up is going to get me to give a single fuck.

It baffles me every day how wrestling has come to THIS. Wrestling used to have personality. Where did we go so wrong to end up in a place where THIS is acceptable?
If you want to look for blame outside of WWE blame it on guys who grew up caring more about what Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho did in the ring for 30 mins than 10 mins on the mic.

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts

I think you gotta remember, some of these guys who say that don't actually see it as watching Orton on screen, but having matches with the dude, and as a vet, he's just looking for all the boxes ticked in the ring. Mark Henry might just love wrestling him. Goldust even says Orton is his favorite wrestling opponent.

In general, though, a lot of guys may also just be biased to guys they've wrestled and who takes the least amount of effort to click with move to move in the ring.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
I still think they need to put some kind of stakes on this match to give it that importance so it doesn't just come as some random match to fill a PPV card. It needs more than just " I want respect"

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I still think they need to put some kind of stakes on this match to give it that importance so it doesn't just come as some random match to fill a PPV card. It needs more than just " I want respect"
Loser leaves Smackdown stipulation

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you want to look for blame outside of WWE blame it on guys who grew up caring more about what Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho did in the ring for 30 mins than 10 mins on the mic.
those are some odd names to use for such an example given the fact that generally Eddie, Shawn and Jericho are well respected for mic work as well as ring work (at least as far as I remember this is definitely the case with Jericho)

On topic though I mean Mark could be right especially after the promo on the last smackdown and at least they're building an actual feud (a very simple one but it still actually exists which is at least something nowadays) but whether it's filler always comes down to how WWE treats it so I don't think a definitive answer to that is actually possible now (plus 99% of matches on any show nowadays are filler :lol)

I wont comment on the high praise of Orton he probably deserves to be considered close to that level but I don't see him being actually on it when there are a good few names I can put above him without thinking too hard.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,413 Posts
"This is one of those matches that people look at and go, 'it's not filler,'" Henry said. "These are both stars, both guys have been champion multiple times and as much as we want to see Daniel Bryan and Kofi in the main event, we want to see what's gonna happen with Charlotte, Becky, and Ronda as a main event, or Seth Rollins and Brock as a main event. [AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton] is a main event match! It's a main event match, guys!"
Whatever ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts