Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We talked to JJ Dillon who said that back when Vince McMahon interviewed Mark Calaway in 1990, he had the idea of a viking character for him. Of course they ended up going with The Undertaker gimmick and gave the viking deal to John Nord a year later. Imagine how history would have changed...

Proof of the JJ comments here, around the 50 minute mark:

http://www.fightful.com/list-and-ya-boy-21-3-pm-est-all-things-jinder-mahal-wwe-more

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Interesting. I've listened to the Undertaker episode of Bruce Prichard's podcast and he never mentioned anything about that.

JJ was close to Vince, too, so there might be some truth to this story. I seriously can't picture Mark as Berzerker, so I'm glad that this supposed idea was scrapped... ESPECIALLY in hindsight

·
TONI POR TODO!
4,544 Posts
I guess casket and buried alive matches would've not existed, and Wrestlemanias since 2002/03 would have needed something else to atract.
Was around then when the streak started to have interest.

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,678 Posts
Mark almost becoming the Berserker scares me because that gimmick was failure all over it.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,478 Posts
John Nord himself mentioned this in an interview several years back.

Undertaker really dodged some bullets early on in his WWF career. He was also originally supposed to come out of the giant egg at Survivor Series 1990 instead of the Gobbledy Gooker!

Even the Undertaker gimmick was supposed to have a relatively short lifespan.
The man made the gimmick.

Who knows, with a talent that phenomenal we could all be sitting here right now talking about how a horned viking who was hatched out of an egg is one of the greatest of all time.

Reactions: Stormbringer
1 - 6 of 6 Posts