Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is setting sail once again, but this time it has a different star at the wheel. Birds of Prey star Margot Robbie is reportedly starring in a brand new Pirates of the Caribbean film for Disney, which will take place in the same world as the movies that starred Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. Chrstina Hodson, who wrote Birds of Prey and Paramount's Bumblebee, will be penning the script, according to a report from THR.

This new, female-driven Pirates of the Caribbean story won't serve as any sort of story reboot for the franchise, which has already released five films to-date. Robbie's movie will be a "wholly original" tale with new characters. Like the original Pirates films, the new movie will take inspiration from the iconic attraction at Disneyland and Disney World.

According to THR's report, this isn't the only Pirates of the Caribbean movie currently in development at Disney. The House of Mouse is also working on a reboot of the film franchise with original Pirates writer Ted Elliott and Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin. Robbie's film won't interfere with any plans for this reboot. Jerry Bruckheimer is attached to produce both films.

At this time, story details regarding this new Pirates of th Caribbean film are being kept under wraps. There's no telling who Robbie is playing or how her character will be inspired by the ride. That said, many fans will likely point to Redd, one of the more popular characters from the attraction. Redd was added in over the last few years when Disney made the decision to remove the scene in which pirates are bidding on women at an auction. Since her debut, Redd has become a fan-favorite and has inspired plenty of merch at the parks. There have already been reports that Redd could be the focal point of a new Pirates movie sometime in the future.
Source: Margot Robbie to Star in New Pirates of the Caribbean Movie for Disney

Hope Johnny's not out of the Movie

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Stop making female versions of everything. You're clearly not going to make money that way. If you wat female hero driven flicks so badly give em original concepts.

·
rasslin
3,028 Posts
I don't understand the need to reboot things and replace them with females.

Most original female stories do well at the box office and are pretty enjoyable to watch. Most reboots with female's replacing men are rejected by both men and woman and usually bomb at the box office.

Birds of prey was awful and it bombed. I Tonya also bombed as well (I can't speak to the quality as I've yet to see that movie). Robbie cannot carry a movie on her own and especially one that is geared towards children.

This has the makings of a disaster. Dead men tell no tales was universally panned and mix that in with the above, I can't see this movie making much money and I can't see it being very entertaining if its anything else like the other all female reboots.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
They really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel to keep the IP alive with this gender-swap idea. Hard to give up a franchise that is guaranteed 800m revenue worldwide I guess. Margot should have rejected the offer and make a smaller budget original female swashbuckling movie than just play it safe if she wants more female action movies. Charlize Theron did it with Atomic Blonde. Sure it was gender swapped John Wick but they did not ride on the coattail of another IP.

I liked BumbleBee but heard Bird's of Prey was awful (not seen it yet) so the writer's 50-50 for me. From BumbleBee, my feeling was she is good at writing for a central female character but maybe not as good as writing for the world the character exists in. If that makes any sense? Bumblebee worked because of the 80's nostalgia factor hiding that flaw of world building.

Margot has failed to carry most movies on her own but how did I, Tonya bomb? It seemed to make back its money and more.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I thought with the rumors of johnny depp cut out from pirates of the caribbean, they were going to continue with orlando now that he is without curse and the post credit in the last movie, but this... this will kill this franchise more than already is.

·
Premium Member
17,065 Posts
Should be good. From what I've read, Bumblebee was solid. margot is a good actress, pirates movies have been decent in their attempts since 3, and I love the universe they're in. I think Margot needs a strong secondary character. I don't recall any movie with her as the lead doing fantastically.

I don’t have an issue with this, I’m more pissed about the wholly unnecessary reboot.
I don't understand the need to reboot things and replace them with females.
Margot's story will be original.

I, too, don't see the point of an additional reboot afterwards. Just build on the lore already established.

Reactions: Rankles75

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,070 Posts
The last one wrapped up most of the loose threads except for the Penelope Cruz one so I would hope that they bring her back.

Much of the fanbase has made it clear if Disney cut Depp they'll boycott the movie, they should probably keep him on.

Personally I'm more upset about Barbossa. 😥

As for Margot Robbie? I say make her the villain.

Also bring back Pintel & Ragetti!

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
3,912 Posts
The last one wrapped up most of the loose threads except for the Penelope Cruz one so I would hope that they bring her back.

Much of the fanbase has made it clear if Disney cut Depp they'll boycott the movie, they should probably keep him on.

Personally I'm more upset about Barbossa. 😥

As for Margot Robbie? I say make her the villain.

Also bring back Pintel & Ragetti!
Congrats on not being dead.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
One thing: iTonya made back almost 5 times it's budget and Robbie got nominated for an oscar. The last thing that movie did was fail.

On Topic: This is just dumb. Margot Robbie was on fire like 5 years ago. Hollywood needs to stop cramming her into things like she is a gigantic draw TODAY. That franchise was already burnt out before the last one even came out. It's a pretty big risk to pencil in an actress that is on shaky box office ground into a franchise that has passed the expiration date.

And to be clear. A new pirate movie starring Depp wouldn't be that much more of a draw either.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
No seriously am I the first to make this joke?!

Same like Disney POC, this movie also went downhill for the sequel, but Disney version started bad after At World's End

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,070 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts