Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
ahhhhhhh the good ol days

Sometimes I forget just how fucking awesome Stone Cold was

when I think of really pushing the envelope to the point where it's like "wow , how are they getting away with this?" .....

I think of Edge's live sex celebration

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
In terms of "Pushing The Envelope" I think the WWE has done about everything you could possibly do that wouldn't have the media pull the plug on them. TBH I think the WWE "Pushed The Envelope" alittle too much and pretty much made everybody desensitized to it. I don't mind the WWE pushing the limits again though but I do hope they just don't do it as frequent as they did in the Attitude Era.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
At what point in that video is the envelope really being pushed? The "what" chants? The nWo interference? Steve Austin getting arrested? The first is an annoying inbred chant and the other two were pushing the envelope in 1998.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I cant find it on youtube but I just watched a RAW in 2003 where Kane hooks a car battery up to Shane McMahons nuts. That looked like it was done really well and came across pretty brutal. I did chuckle at the fact that Kane was electrocuting Shanes nuts on television.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhhhhhh the good ol days

Sometimes I forget just how fucking awesome Stone Cold was

when I think of really pushing the envelope to the point where it's like "wow , how are they getting away with this?" .....

I think of Edge's live sex celebration
Yeah, and the nip slip lol. WWE had numerous amounts of nip slips live on raw and never got in trouble for it.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts

Watching these kinds of videos depresses me about today's state of wrestling.
The whole PG thing is the WWE going backwards and is gonna hurt them down the line. Not in two years but definitely in 5-7 years. Ratings are gonna worse and buyrates will never be the same after the heights it reached in the Monday Night Wars.

·
"Night's Watch! With Me!"
8,030 Posts

Watching these kinds of videos depresses me about today's state of wrestling.
I wouldn't say this is an example of pushing the envelope, but I do agree, it sucks watching videos like this and seeing how good wrestling could be

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
what the fuck does that video have to do with pushing the envelope? there's hardly anything groundbreaking or super edgy about that video.

but yeah, wrestling was cool back then. awesome. but if you haven't gotten over it yet, i suggest you just quit watching altogether. and what could even push the envelope in todays society? shit that you could only see on HBO then became shit you could see on FX, which then became shit you could see after 10 PM on major networks, which is now shit you can see on primetime on any network you want.

i'd understand if this was just one of those lousy "attitude era hurray" threads, but this thread is worse because the subject is incorrect.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Attitude Era is part of the past and let it be the past, if they do the same concept again right now i guess it'd be stale as fuck. I'm actually enjoying the current era because it seems they emphasize more on good wrestling now.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Good video, good times. I remember when The Rock called out the nWo, "It's funny how the man with the 24 inch pythons has the half inch testicles." I also remember how they talked about the past vs. the future, nobody thought The Rock would be the past and Hogan would be the future (in a pathetic way). Sorry little off topic there.

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts
The whole PG thing is the WWE going backwards and is gonna hurt them down the line. Not in two years but definitely in 5-7 years. Ratings are gonna worse and buyrates will never be the same after the heights it reached in the Monday Night Wars.
PG has nothing to do with a ratings decline. You can still book an entertaining, enthralling show within the confines of the PG rating. It is the way that they're attempting to access the PG audience in their booking that is the problem. The rating really makes no difference. If they tried to book a product aimed at adults and did a shitty job of it, it wouldn't be because of the rating. It would be because of the shitty booking.

I must be getting old once people refer to 2002 as "the good ol' days"!
I noticed people saying this a lot too. I'm with Dr. Perry Cox on this one. Anyone who isn't actually old and says things like the good ol' days is just someone who is generally trying to sound more intelligent than they are. In actuality, it's a pretty damn horrible cliché, especially when used to speak about eight years ago.

·
Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts
5,594 Posts
Video depresses me too, but not because of PG. I miss faces being that entertaining, and I miss Jim Ross. Either of those can be fixed while remaining PG, it just is not getting done.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
You can defend PG all you want to Vince, but the bottom line is your ratings were alot higher when you did stuff like this. Vince can talk about all the sponsors PG brings in until he's blue in the face, but the fans would rather see something thats entertaining instead of hearing about WWE's sponsors.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
LOL @ pushing the envelope in 2002.

Let's not build huge stars and develop interesting storylines, just throw some blood, profanity and boobs on the screen.

The difference between then and now is all that stuff can be seen..... ANYWHERE.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts