Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was just looking at the topic "Why can't WWE build megastars anymore?" thread, and I saw people saying that recently, the WWE has not known the proper way to do it. Which, is kind of true to an extent. I mean, since 2005, 6 years ago, the WWE has made Cena, Batista, Orton, Edge, and you could say Jeff Hardy and CM Punk megastars. That's 6 people in the last 6 years. Of course, there are other megastars in the WWE such as Taker, HHH, Jericho but they were megastars before 2005.

Instead of making megastars, the WWE just puts the world title on someone and says they're megastars. That is not the case. It takes a while for a true megastar to be born.

So, my real question is, what do you think is the proper way to build a true megastar like Cena or Orton??

For me, winning 2 IC/US Titles and 1 tag team title in the span of 2-3 years, then putting on an insant classic with a legend, whether you win or not. You've become a true star in the business. If HBK were to come out of retirement for one more match, and for example wrestled John Morrison, and Morrison gave him a good 20+ minute match, Morrison would be HUGE, definitely ready for a world title.

That is why the WWE needs to keep its legends/icons because they are needed for the newer generation. The WWE still has Cena, Orton, Punk, Edge, Undertaker, Triple H, to do that.

So again, how would you build a megastar or what do you think is the proper way to do it?

· Registered
9,456 Posts
Natural ability and work ethic are the key factors. Guys like Hogan and Austin had that natural charismatic ability to captivate an audience and they worked damn hard to get themselves into a position where they could showcase their talents.

· Recognize
21,327 Posts
Because they never truly get behind anybody. The last time they did that was with Cena and Batista and look what happened there, funny huh? Even Miz. He has been given a textbook push to the top yet they still won't let him legitimize himself with a clean/credible win over any of the other top stars. Yes he's at the top but nobody looks at him as being on the same level as Cena or Orton. When Cena and Batista had their respective rises to the top they were getting put over the likes of HHH, Angle and Jericho. The fans bought them as legit megastars. With Miz it's a completely different story.

And this is without talking about everybody else that they have dropped the ball with from around 07 until now. Kennedy, MVP, Seamus, Swagger, Barrett, Kofi, Morrison and the list goes on. I'm not trying to say that these guys would have been Austin/Rock level megastars but the roster would be looking a hell of a lot better than it does right now. Now we effectively have Cena sitting comfortably at the top of the mountain. Then below him is Orton who doesn't come close to touching him in terms of star power. Then below Orton comes everybody else who can't touch either of them and we have this HUGE gap that isn't going to be filled by flinging titles on guys like Swagger and Seamus or hyping the crap out of guys only to drop them down the card again like Barrett.

Wrestlemania was saved by appearances from Rock/Austin and an incredible match by two guys who aren't going to be there for much longer. I think that by Mania 29 if WWE haven't created any legit new and true stars they are going to be in serious trouble. Take away the already established vets like Taker, HHH, Edge, Mysterio, Kane and Show and what are we left with? Cena, Orton, Miz and who?

· Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because they never truly get behind anybody. The last time they did that was with Cena and Batista and look what happened there, funny huh? Even Miz. He has been given a textbook push to the top yet they still won't let him legitimize himself with a clean/credible win over any of the other top stars. Yes he's at the top but nobody looks at him as being on the same level as Cena or Orton. When Cena and Batista had their respective rises to the top they were getting put over the likes of HHH, Angle and Jericho. The fans bought them as legit megastars. With Miz it's a completely different story.

And this is without talking about everybody else that they have dropped the ball with from around 07 until now. Kennedy, MVP, Seamus, Swagger, Barrett, Kofi, Morrison and the list goes on. I'm not trying to say that these guys would have been Austin/Rock level megastars but the roster would be looking a hell of a lot better than it does right now. Now we effectively have Cena sitting comfortably at the top of the mountain. Then below him is Orton who doesn't come close to touching him in terms of star power. Then below Orton comes everybody else who can't touch either of them and we have this HUGE gap that isn't going to be filled by flinging titles on guys like Swagger and Seamus or hyping the crap out of guys only to drop them down the card again like Barrett.

Wrestlemania was saved by appearances from Rock/Austin and an incredible match by two guys who aren't going to be there for much longer. I think that by Mania 29 if WWE haven't created any legit new and true stars they are going to be in serious trouble. Take away the already established vets like Taker, HHH, Edge, Mysterio, Kane and Show and what are we left with? Cena, Orton, Miz and who?
Damn right. The WWE does have to create new stars, and quick cuz their running out of time.

· Harvester of Sorrow
13,772 Posts
Here's my theory on how to create a megastars, IMO

Firstly, you need competition. Competition is a motivation for success. Fans aren't drawn into the wrestling business because there's no real alternatives like you had with WCW and ECW, because of this there is a stale period going on because no one is interested in the business. But back in the 80's when you had the likes of the NWA and AWA people were interested in wrestling, then Vince McMahon went to war with them by trying to put on the better show and product and created a boom. He eventually did that and won that war. Then there was a stale period during the early 90's where things were like what they are now, but after WCW and ECW(but mainly WCW) started to get popular and gain momentum, Vince had competition again, and once again he went to war with them, once again he destroyed his competition and now we have a stale period now. Nowaday we don't have the promotions like them, people talk about TNA but they have their own problems and are not close to competing with the likes of WWE. But if you had real competition maybe people would be more interested wrstling in general, and maybe WWE would start trying to compete again.

Secondly, with competition comes a new boom period. As I already said. The boom periods of the 80's and late 90's can be linked to the competing between the promotions during those times as business started to boom during those times. But the trick is, once the fans start tuning in more, you have to keep them interested in the wrestling business. Which now leads me the my next one.

Thirdly, change is needed. In the 80's WWF was the first of the wrestling promotions to go mainstream. He changed the promotion in that regaurds, while the other promotions stuck to their old school tactics which ineveitably failed. In the 90's WCW changed their product to a more edgier product, WWF then eventually ended up fallowing suit and the attiude era was born. Nowadays, WWE have went back to a PG based show, which is ok but they still need to change their product a bit if they want to garner interest in them. I don't mean catering to fans or audiences but just things like, the creative department and the talent development etc.

Fourtly, you have to choose the right guy to lead that period and promotion. For the 80's boom it was Hulk Hogan, for the 90's boom it was Stone Cold and later The Rock. I guess John Cena would be the closest to a guy to lead this new period, but he's already 33 and by the time a new boom period could even start he could be in his mid/late 30's. But someone is needed to lead that period. Someone who has a lot of charisma and can talk on the mic. Wrestling skills are not essential anymore but IMO you can't go wrong with being a decent worker in the ring.

Finally, once you have all those things, and the right guy to lead. Then a megastar can be created because you have a fluctuating business and interest.

· Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my theory on how to create a megastars, IMO

Firstly, you need competition. Competition is a motivation for success. Fans aren't drawn into the wrestling business because there's no real alternatives like you had with WCW and ECW, because of this there is a stale period going on because no one is interested in the business. But back in the 80's when you had the likes of the NWA and AWA people were interested in wrestling, then Vince McMahon went to war with them by trying to put on the better show and product and created a boom. He eventually did that and won that war. Then there was a stale period during the early 90's where things were like what they are now, but after WCW and ECW(but mainly WCW) started to get popular and gain momentum, Vince had competition again, and once again he went to war with them, once again he destroyed his competition and now we have a stale period now. Nowaday we don't have the promotions like them, people talk about TNA but they have their own problems and are not close to competing with the likes of WWE. But if you had real competition maybe people would be more interested wrstling in general, and maybe WWE would start trying to compete again.

Secondly, with competition comes a new boom period. As I already said. The boom periods of the 80's and late 90's can be linked to the competing between the promotions during those times as business started to boom during those times. But the trick is, once the fans start tuning in more, you have to keep them interested in the wrestling business. Which now leads me the my next one.

Thirdly, change is needed. In the 80's WWF was the first of the wrestling promotions to go mainstream. He changed the promotion in that regaurds, while the other promotions stuck to their old school tactics which ineveitably failed. In the 90's WCW changed their product to a more edgier product, WWF then eventually ended up fallowing suit and the attiude era was born. Nowadays, WWE have went back to a PG based show, which is ok but they still need to change their product a bit if they want to garner interest in them. I don't mean catering to fans or audiences but just things like, the creative department and the talent development etc.

Fourtly, you have to choose the right guy to lead that period and promotion. For the 80's boom it was Hulk Hogan, for the 90's boom it was Stone Cold and later The Rock. I guess John Cena would be the closest to a guy to lead this new period, but he's already 33 and by the time a new boom period could even start he could be in his mid/late 30's. But someone is needed to lead that period. Someone who has a lot of charisma and can talk on the mic. Wrestling skills are not essential anymore but IMO you can't go wrong with being a decent worker in the ring.

Finally, once you have all those things, and the right guy to lead. Then a megastar can be created because you have a fluctuating business and interest.
Very good post. Agree 100%

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.