Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 443 Posts

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts

·
The Whole Shebang
970 Posts
Does anyone know why the Ladder Match ended up being so different than what was advertised? I know the story behind initial entrants like Jason Cade & Marko Stunt...but before the live show it was being marketed as Desmond Xavier, Andrew Everett, Kotto Brazil & El Hijo de LA Park. I get Teddy Hart was supposed to be a wild card entrant, but there was zero mention of why Gringo Loco was suddenly in there.

Having the two championships differentiated by weight class is strange to me. I have zero issue with smaller guys challenging for heavyweight titles, but when 90% of the roster is a lightweight it seems odd to then introduce a Middleweight belt. It clearly is intended to be more midcard, but the division makes little sense. And both Teddy Hart and Gringo Loco look to be larger than middleweights perhaps?

I love MLW - quickly has become one of my favorite promotions - but there are still a lot of head scratchers when it comes to the booking. The in-ring product is really good though, and the talent roster is one of the best going.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Anyone who doesn't expect a non-clean finish with Park vs Rush must not be aware of the ramifications among Lucha. That said, I don't care what goes down. I just want another violent brawl between the two. Which I'm 99% confident will be the result.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts
WHERE IS THE SHOW WITH PARK/CALLIHAN
Sad to tell you, man but...they didn't tape it...it was a live event show only from the looks of it. :vincecry

·
Registered
612 Posts
That Conan Low ki match was interesting. It wasnt the wrestling exactly but the plot that was intertwined. Conan ended up defenceless in the ring. Through out the match im thinking where is his back up. He needs a hand. At the end of the match we see a bloody conan. Filthy tom comes to aid him which progresses his story with low ki. But also we find Pentagon lying backstage and taken out. Schiavone leads us out with his tune in next week and the camera pans away.

I was watching this with a friend who has been out of watching wrestling for a while and he enjoyed the show. I think how the show is 45 minutes long and spends 5-10 minutes with promos and repeating past plotline points helps new people understand what is going on.

Having wrestlers come on every 2 to 3 weeks while the belts are talked about every week keeps the wrestlers fresh and gives time for a couple of plotlines in a 45 minute show.

Having the two championships differentiated by weight class is strange to me. I have zero issue with smaller guys challenging for heavyweight titles, but when 90% of the roster is a lightweight it seems odd to then introduce a Middleweight belt. It clearly is intended to be more midcard, but the division makes little sense. And both Teddy Hart and Gringo Loco look to be larger than middleweights perhaps?

I love MLW - quickly has become one of my favorite promotions - but there are still a lot of head scratchers when it comes to the booking. The in-ring product is really good though, and the talent roster is one of the best going.
I have raised this issue a few weeks ago. And when you take a look at the heavier guys they consist of ace romero and Hughes who are more for fast matches and short fill ins. One guy though who is a heavy weight and still entertaining is Davey Boy Smith Jr. Since Tedy Hart has the middle weight title they could maybe look to get Davey Boy involved in thw Heavyweight mix and build up the heart foundation even more.

MLW also lost PCO who was a heavyweight but wasnt booked in the title picture. The fans seemed to love him.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Low Ki vs Lawlor (Y)

If there is one wrestling resurgence today I can do without, it is 100% Teddy Hart. Just...no.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Low Ki vs Lawlor (Y)

If there is one wrestling resurgence today I can do without, it is 100% Teddy Hart. Just...no.
I like the skits he has been doing lately but I understand the controversy behind him.

MLW just updated their attendance figures from last year.

A revitalized Major League Wrestling ran 13 shows in 2018. The first half of the year included six shows in Orlando while the second half of the year included a more ambitious slate outside of Orlando, with only 1 show running in the city, while two events were held in Queens, NY, one in Fort Lauderdale and two back to back events in Miami to close out the year.

In numbers verified by Court Bauer of MLW, the company drew 9,322 fans in 2018 for an average of 717 fans per event (Court notes that there is a VIP section at every event but those complementary seats are never counted in the final figure). In the second half of the year, the company averaged 1,008 fans per show. 5 of 13 events sold out for the year (38%). The average for the second half is competitive with Ring of Honor, which averaged 964 fans per show (although ROH ran 18 shows over that period).
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/01/how-many-fans-did-major-league-wrestling-draw-in-2018-649647/

Just want to edit in, don't know how much to trust those numbers since promoters can always inflate them.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Hart's matches have never really been my thing. These days he still hasn't worked out the kinks and in some regards, he's a bit worse than in years past.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm loving the new stuff! But I found one of the 2002 episodes and I want more. Anyone know where I can find those shows? And no, I'm not talking about underground TV. I already have that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Superfight wasn't as good as I expected. The build up and the hype was great but it was so rushed it was such a shame! Still loving MLW but I hope they don't make that mistake again

·
Registered
23,955 Posts
Watched their Super Fight show. Had a great venue with the 2300 arena (I think that's where they were?).

Pentagon/Fenix vs. Teddy/Davey was a really fun spot fest. And that finish of a Doomsday Device into a Canadian Destroyer. Damn. Now that's how you finish a match.

I don't know enough about MLW's stories or Tom Lawlor to know why the main event went 5 minutes. So yeah, not much to comment on that one.

61 - 80 of 443 Posts