Wrestling Forum banner

401 - 415 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel like they have a ton of talent, even at times some can say even better than Impact and AEW depending on how you are looking at it. As I watch their TV show from week to week, something feels disjointed to me about it lately. I am about 2 weeks behind, so I do need to get caught up. Just like my rant with the NWA season 1 where 45 minutes per episode was not enough, MLW can definitely use more than 1 hour a week due to their roster size.

I do think the introduction of the Opera Cup tournament was quite cool.
I've been watching ML Dub since Low-Ki's reign of terror, and then it exploded once Contra Unit hit the scene. They were so damn crazy mang, with the antics they had with the spike and they just gutted the hell out of that fatass Ace Romero, Fatu practically killed that 800 fat tub of lard, Barrington Hughes in 3 seconds, Sameal literally burned & made french toast out of the Lucha Bro's & Teddy Hart's faces, etc.

The amount of crazy shit they do just kept me glued to my screen every week. Then it suddenly died after Contra Unit finally creamed Salina's Promciones Dorado, who was the only other Heel faction who was at their level.

MJF's The Dynasty are coming up, and they managed to steal Gino away from Salina, which does have me intrigued to see if they'll eventually try to do a power grab for all of the gold since they now have a member to compete for each belt. Hammerstone is really the only one who could believably dethrone Fatu, if he weren't a heel. The barefoot Von Erich is the most believable face, but his mic skills suck, big time. At least Hammerstone says so much insane garbage, that his promos kinda remind me of Scott Steiner, since a lot of what he's saying doesn't even make sense, but he's such a braggart, that he makes it work.

Another thing that caused me to lose interest, was how some of these guys' storylines seems to be in stasis, like my mang ol' Mance Warner. Why the hell is he still feuding with that twink Jimmy Havok? A couple months ago, it looked as if Mance were moving up to eventually feud with Fatu or Teddy (someone, anyone who had gold.), but he's just doing the same deathmatch every other week with the same chump that he beat the crap out of, several times already.

Take the mid weight belt off of Myron, he hasn't even been doing anything lately ever since Contra Unit practically gifted it to him.

·
Working on a novel about about nothing
2,097 Posts

If MLW manages to get a decent TV deal we are looking at 4 American wrestling promotions that could be giving good paydays to folks. We are starting to see more and more MMA jump to wrestling once they've moved past their MMA peak. Between Lawal and Lawlor the promotion seems like a prime spot for those folks, plus you have Thatcher, Davey Boy and others that make the style "friendly" for them.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

If MLW manages to get a decent TV deal we are looking at 4 American wrestling promotions that could be giving good paydays to folks. We are starting to see more and more MMA jump to wrestling once they've moved past their MMA peak. Between Lawal and Lawlor the promotion seems like a prime spot for those folks, plus you have Thatcher, Davey Boy and others that make the style "friendly" for them.
I wonder who might be some potential TV partners they can go with. That would be awesome, imagine having 4 wrestling promotions in the US on national TV.

I've been watching ML Dub since Low-Ki's reign of terror, and then it exploded once Contra Unit hit the scene. They were so damn crazy mang, with the antics they had with the spike and they just gutted the hell out of that fatass Ace Romero, Fatu practically killed that 800 fat tub of lard, Barrington Hughes in 3 seconds, Sameal literally burned & made french toast out of the Lucha Bro's & Teddy Hart's faces, etc.

The amount of crazy shit they do just kept me glued to my screen every week. Then it suddenly died after Contra Unit finally creamed Salina's Promciones Dorado, who was the only other Heel faction who was at their level.

MJF's The Dynasty are coming up, and they managed to steal Gino away from Salina, which does have me intrigued to see if they'll eventually try to do a power grab for all of the gold since they now have a member to compete for each belt. Hammerstone is really the only one who could believably dethrone Fatu, if he weren't a heel. The barefoot Von Erich is the most believable face, but his mic skills suck, big time. At least Hammerstone says so much insane garbage, that his promos kinda remind me of Scott Steiner, since a lot of what he's saying doesn't even make sense, but he's such a braggart, that he makes it work.

Take the mid weight belt off of Myron, he hasn't even been doing anything lately ever since Contra Unit practically gifted it to him.
I started watching MLW a bit later, but with the nice thing that all of their episodes are on YouTube I was able to start from the start. They do have a nice product, though I do feel like they need more than 1 hour per show and I hope they can do something with this possible TV deal.

I love Contra Unit, such a great and original faction. Hopefully they have Fatu signed up for a long time, because he is someone I see going to WWE or AEW if given that chance and the money is right.

Have to wonder what will happen now with The Dynasty that MJF is done with MLW. I do wish they would have gotten all 3 guys in AEW, would be such a legit faction for them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
MLW's deal with beIN Sports is up in April, right? So we should get an announcement by late February or early March on where they're taking Fusion next.

The Showtime rumor is interesting and would be an upgrade on beIN, but not a significant one I believe (Showtime is in 29.7m homes, beIn in 23.3m as of 2018). No guarantee yet that Showtime will be their new home anyways though. At the very least, I think Showtime is measured by Nielsen so we'd at least get access to their viewership numbers each week unlike now.

·
Working on a novel about about nothing
2,097 Posts
ASo
MLW's deal with beIN Sports is up in April, right? So we should get an announcement by late February or early March on where they're taking Fusion next.

The Showtime rumor is interesting and would be an upgrade on beIN, but not a significant one I believe (Showtime is in 29.7m homes, beIn in 23.3m as of 2018). No guarantee yet that Showtime will be their new home anyways though. At the very least, I think Showtime is measured by Nielsen so we'd at least get access to their viewership numbers each week unlike now.
Sure, Showtime isn't in THAT many more homes...but it's Showtime. That's one of THE premium cable stations. HBO is the undisputed #1 but then it's Showtime and miles of road between that and whatever #3 might be.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

Availability has nothing to do with how many people actually watch the channel.

The last numbers I saw, BeIn Sports averages less than 6,000 viewers per hour of primetime television, which means the rest of the time there are probably fewer than 2,000 people watching whatever they air on that channel. By comparison, Comet, the digital subchannel that used to air ROH before Sinclair launched Charge and Stadium (newer digital subchannels that are focused on sports and action shows rather than scifi like Comet), averages 77,000 and AXS averages about 69,000. El Rey, former Lucha Underground broadcaster, averages about 25,000.

Showtime currently has a roster of 20 scripted shows. The least popular among the averages over 100,000 viewers while the most popular averages over 1.2 million. Showtime averages over 180,000.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
CBS and Showtime didn't announce anything about mlw at the TCA meetings but did confirm Bellator was coming over to Showtime sports.

Wishful thinking at this point. I think the big meetings was that they signed with ICM and they are nowhere near a new tv deal

·
Registered
493 Posts
Who is the 3rd national promotion you guys are speaking of? WWE, AEW, and ? Because I dont see AXS as a mainstream channel, they aren't even tracked by Nielsen.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Who is the 3rd national promotion you guys are speaking of? WWE, AEW, and ? Because I dont see AXS as a mainstream channel, they aren't even tracked by Nielsen.
National TV is national TV. AXS isn't big but it's available nationwide. Same goes for Charge and Stadium, which are available on OTA free TV in almost 50% of US homes. Technically even the tiny BeIn Sports is national.

According to Variety, AXS is roughly in between Destination America and Logo for scripted TV networks. The #116 most watched channel. BeIn is #140, Pop TV is #89. El Rey is #135.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
National TV is national TV. AXS isn't big but it's available nationwide. Same goes for Charge and Stadium, which are available on OTA free TV in almost 50% of US homes. Technically even the tiny BeIn Sports is national.

According to Variety, AXS is roughly in between Destination America and Logo for scripted TV networks. The #116 most watched channel. BeIn is #140, Pop TV is #89. El Rey is #135.
It's a stretch, plus Impact is trash. Sinclair is definitely in more homes.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It's a stretch, plus Impact is trash. Sinclair is definitely in more homes.
Of course Sinclair is in more homes, but that's not relevant. AXS is still a national outlet. And the quality of Impact is irrelevant. There are 5 national promotions in the US right now, and they rank as follows in terms of TV reach:
1. WWE
2. AEW
3. ROH
4. Impact
5. MLW

Calling them all national doesn't imply they're all close to the same size as one another. But they're all still orders of magnitude bigger than your average indie.

·
Premium Member
43,710 Posts
I just saw the last episode of Fusion with the finals of the Opera Cup...meh.

I was a little disappointed because I've been enjoying the tournament, but the finish just felt normal. Like Davey just won and that's it. I do like that they will be doing it annually and hopefully this win means something for Davey moving forward.

·
Registered
22,636 Posts
Been catching up with MLW recently. Saw the Opera Cup and the last couple of Dallas shows. Some thoughts I had:

*Davey Boy Smith and Brian Pillman Jr. of the Hart Foundation do nothing for me. God they are boring. I hate saying that, but it feels like without the wild antics of Teddy Hart these 2 are nothing. DBS is a boring promo and his combination of technical skill and power just put me to sleep when he wrestles.

And Pillman Jr.....I mean I've seen a lot of the praise for the guy and I don't get it. He's got a cool look, I'll say that much. But there's nothing special about the way he works. There's nothing special about the way he talks. And if his last name wasn't Pillman, there would be nothing there.

*Love the Dynasty, and it makes me sad that MJF is apparently done in MLW, even though they introduced his replacement. Gotta say, screw Butcher and The Blade. Why can't Hammerstone and Holiday be in AEW with MJF? That would be gold.

*Contra Unit continues to entertain. Fatu is an absolute beast. He's like Umaga but even more athletic and can talk too. They create this feeling that anything could happen on the show.

*Mance Warner is a gem. Can cut a great promo. Can be funny, can be serious. He feels different than any other personality in wrestling.

*Filthy Tom Lawlor never did anything for me as a face. But as a heel? The guy is very entertaining. Him wrestling "Rip Von Erich" is an example of that.

401 - 415 of 415 Posts