Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now this is the original over the top flamboyant gimmick. Great heel work. Sports entertainment wasn't invented by McMahon :p

Based out of Los Angeles, this syndicated program traveled around the country via Kinescopes in the early days of television.

Our host, sports talk pioneer, Allin Slate introduces this week’s main event match. Here we get to see wrestling legend Gorgeous George in action with the full ring entrance. George is a pioneer of the flamboyant wrestler and for a while was one of the greatest draws in wrestling.

His opponent is UCLA football great, actor, wrestler and humanitarian Woody Strode. Strode made a name for himself on the gridiron at UCLA and the CFL. He then followed with a great career on the mat as well as the Silver Screen.

This is a very enjoyable match and a great chance to see a longer match featuring these two. Thanks to information from wrestling historian Yohe, the match itself was filmed at the Wilmington Bowl.

*audio is right channel, originally mono from 16mm film and who ever uploaded to YouTube should have added the mono channel left and right, but still a cool full length 26 minute main event of Gorgeous George.

https://youtu.be/xMyzbHmrAzU

Enjoy

·
Banned
397 Posts
No one wants to watch hairy men hug each other for half an hour.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one wants to watch hairy men hug each other for half an hour.
You haven't seen the the entrance and proof you didn't watch video. Definitely not hairy.

It's wwf style long before McMahon's sports entertainment

The awesome heel work, spraying the ring with perfume and the ref's hand before he touches him.

Refuses to remove the dress

Throws his hair pins into crowd, announcer kayfabing "24 karat gold hair pins"

This is why Gorgeous George gets top honors mixing drama, great heel work, and entertainment with pro wrestling. When back then there wasn't a whole lot of gimmicks and dramatic flair and such. But his Valet and style is just hilarious.

It's a great match also

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Also proof Gorgeous George was such a good heel.

The audience is cheering the black man and you hear yells "Kick his ass Woody!" In 1950s America!

Greatest classic heel

Crowd gets mad at 12:30 George holding Woody's tights for leverage "illegal" but ref don't see.
The audience very vocal throughout the match. Very fun to see classic 50s pro wrestling that has a feel of what the southern boys used in 70s/80s by using a lot of the style to tell a story with a match, the slow pace ramping up then the back and forth. The audience pulled in getting extremely vocal.

Just great stuff any true fan would enjoy.

BTW in today's PG WWE you wouldnt get a character like Gorgeous George, the flamboyant, cross dressing would not be considered politically correct and be seen as poking fun at trannys

·
Banned
397 Posts
You haven't seen the the entrance and proof you didn't watch video. Definitely not hairy.

It's wwf style long before McMahon's sports entertainment

The awesome heel work, spraying the ring with perfume and the ref's hand before he touches him.

Refuses to remove the dress

Throws his hair pins into crowd, announcer kayfabing "24 karat gold hair pins"

This is why Gorgeous George gets top honors mixing drama, great heel work, and entertainment with pro wrestling. When back then there wasn't a whole lot of gimmicks and dramatic flair and such. But his Valet and style is just hilarious.

It's a great match also
I made it clear I didn't want to watch it.

·
Banned
397 Posts
I'm just joshing, I just seen it it's pretty good.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made it clear I didn't want to watch it.
Not really, otherwise you wouldn't have posted in thread

Plus you said you didn't want to see hairy guys :p

Gorgeous George was talked about all the time by Gorilla Monsoon.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Not really, otherwise you wouldn't have posted in thread

Plus you said you didn't want to see hairy guys :p

Gorgeous George was talked about all the time by Gorilla Monsoon.
I guess you didn't see my last post? I saw about 5 minutes of it and it was good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts