Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on TNAinsider.com and thought it deserved it's own thread. very good read.

Magnus appeared as a guest on Busted Open Radio, hosted by Doug Mortman and Dave LaGreca (Busted Open Radio airs every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Sirius 94 and XM 208), where he discussed a number of TNA-related topics. Highlights from the interview are as follows:

On people expressing negativity towards TNA through social media platforms: “People think because that they watch a few DVD’s that document one part of history and how the business went and they are able to predict what’s going to happen in a completely new set of circumstance and I tend to ignore it and I don’t really give it much thought. These are basically the people that throw something out there with no filter because they are nobodies and I’m not trying to knock anyone. It’s easy to say when you have nothing to lose and to throw out an opinion in the hope that it actually happens and then you can say: ‘See, I was right. I told you.’ For some reason now we live in an age now where all wrestling fans think are obsessed with showing on how much knowledge they have and its either you’re just a fan or you’re in the business.

“Your knowledge is kind of irrelevant unless you are in the industry or unless you are making a living off of our sweat or talking about and I’m one of those people too, I have a column in a wrestling magazine that I get paid to do but the only difference is that I get paid to do it because people read that magazine because they want to hear something’s on the ground that makes for a nice change. I use Twitter as a promotional tool and somewhat as a barometer, it’s like an instant focus group and I think if you take it anymore serious, then you are probably wasting your own time and I tell my fellow peers the same thing especially the younger guys who don’t have as much experience for their age and are bothered and affected by this kind of stuff on Twitter and I said look: ‘This is what Twitter is. In terms to your significance, your life, your career and your psyche, don’t take it seriously then you should do, which is not very much at all.’”

On giving an inside look at TNA: “Honestly, I am not qualified to answer that. I’m not trying to dodge the question, I promise you. I’m not really qualified to speak on physical matters or anything like that as far as the company is concerned. I will say this that any wrestling fan who claims to be a wrestling fan should get off this bandwagon of: ‘Let’s all talk about the state of TNA’s business.’ Anyone would tell you that and I’m talking about people on Wall Street, people in any industry, particularly the entertainment industry where the reputation of image is very important, that sometimes all you need is the rumor even if there is no validity to it and then the rumor can actually become a possibility. It boggles my mind there are people out there that you read their bio or they will tell you: ‘I eat, sleep and breathe wrestling man. I love it’ but then they are the ones that say: ‘TNA is going to go out of business and yada, yada, yada.’

“Do you want that to happen? Do you want to have less wrestling on TV? Do you want all of these performers that you admire have to go find work somewhere else? I don’t understand that. That to me has always been a strange thing and the irony of it is that these are the people that claim to be the most dedicated wrestling fans and the one who are not paying for the Pay-Per-Views, they are illegally downloading them and they are busy knocking everything at every opportunity and becoming armchair writers or armchair quarterbacks as the saying goes. You are harming the business more then you are aiding it and I don’t understand why would do that if you claim to love it so much. It’s not me trying to say: ‘Oh please, stop expressing you opinion.’ But if you are being overwhelming negative all the time then you should focus it somewhere else and focus it on yourself.”

On focusing to be better: “Normally, it’s studying tapes. Sometimes things happen organically based on the right opponent and suddenly and I’ve borrowed more than a couple things from Japan and the trips that I had over there over the last year have been very beneficial in that respect and being so close to (Samoa)Joe and A.J. (Styles) and learning from guys like that and also, it’s funny because you do something once because it just happens to fit in that particular match and then sometimes the reaction is so strong or somebody that you trust like A.J. or Kurt or Joe, who really knows there stuff, will say: ‘Hey, that’s a keeper.’ Pretty much my entire move set as we like to call it, is stuff that I have done somewhere along the line and when I comeback either Kurt, Joe or A.J. have said: ‘That’s a keeper’ and no more has to be said about that. I’ll keep doing that and once you do that, you are good from there.

“Once you get your foundation, you can play around with variations and let it happen very organically and it’s up to me to make it happen. People didn’t see me from day one and say: ‘This is his future.’ It was based off of my work with Samoa Joe in 2012 and I stepped up and it’s funny because one you start getting labeled, that’s when you get a lot of pushback and it bears repeating, the only reason why the conversation is happening is because of what I’ve done. The pressure is fine, I can handle that but it’s up to me to make it happen and to take that step and make it mean something.”

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Re: Magnus Reacts To Fans Saying TNA Will Go Out Of Business, Negativity On Social Me

It's a tv show and if a tv show sucks people are going to complain or say what could of been done better. Every damn tv show is the same so idk why wrestlers think theirs is special just because it's live.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Re: Magnus Reacts To Fans Saying TNA Will Go Out Of Business, Negativity On Social Me

Hurt feelings and damage control imo
No, he just sounds like an intelligent guy that actually works in the business and has a greater understanding. Alot of what he says is spot on, you only have to look on here to see people rolling out the same old rhetoric they have for years, week in week out.

The product sucks, the product is great, the product sucks again. Find me a mainstream company in wrestling that has consistantly put out greatness. In 5 years the exact same discussions will be happening, just like they were 5 years ago.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

wrestling fans on the internet want to not only complain, without really even knowing everything that is going on, but also act as if they can do better, without really even knowing everything that is going on.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts

Agree with The Big O 100%, just look at the TNA section on any given day and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Mind you, someone should tell the Mag Daddy that the vast majority of people who knock TNA are WWE marks , children and sheep who think it's 'cool'

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
This is basically a copy and paste of Matt Morgans rant a few months ago.

Both are wrong of course. They need to take tips from tv writers and actors on how to take criticism.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Reactions: Chip Kelly

·
Registered
734 Posts

I can honestly see both points of view.
1. If you work for a TV show you should expect some criticism if things are not done right.
2. But some people out there look for things to be pissed about. And some criticism is based on some weird obsession, of some people, to see TNA die.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts

No, he just sounds like an intelligent guy that actually works in the business and has a greater understanding. Alot of what he says is spot on, you only have to look on here to see people rolling out the same old rhetoric they have for years, week in week out.

The product sucks, the product is great, the product sucks again. Find me a mainstream company in wrestling that has consistantly put out greatness. In 5 years the exact same discussions will be happening, just like they were 5 years ago.
No he sounds upset and like hes trying to squash legit criticism. "You dont work in the industry" isnt a good argument against concerns of low ratings/gates and poor story telling.

·
Registered
198 Posts

In fairness it's not criticism TNA gets off of the internet, it's constant anti TNA bile and as others have said, a weird obsession by a few in that they seem desperate for TNA to "die".

If you watch Impact and debate about what you thought was good and bad, then fair enough.

But most just want to talk about how they are supposedly going out of business and are the worst thing to ever grace pro wrestling, without actually watching the show.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts

Meh, if someone watches the show week in and week out they have a right to express their opinion on the product whether that opinion is good bad or indifferent. You don't have to work in the business to have an informed opinion on what you are actually watching.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts

Regardless what anyone thinks, Everything is declining and that means you must change. When a show declines if you dont make big changes it goes under.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,632 Posts

well he's not gonna say TNA's going out of business.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Three cheers for Magnus! He's absolutely right. Internet wrestling fans are booker-wannabes who are basically, as he said, "nobodies."

I'm happy to be a fan, period.

·
Registered
955 Posts

Something I've noticed about some people in the industry, especially when it comes to TNA because Bischoff does this all the time, but they can't handle criticism. They hear the negativity and they can't just let it roll off their back. They have to reply and wag their finger at fans and say they don't know anything. Feeding into this and replying is really what fans want. In Bischoff's case especially, he's shown that he has a pathetically thin skin. Even Eric Young on Sunday got into it. He said on twitter that anyone who didn't like Bound For Glory was "stupid". When it comes down to it, these guys are angry we, as fans, have an opinion about wrestling. I'm not even going to try and explain how freaking stupid that is.

Now the bigger problem I think is in play here is the possibility that TNA as a whole ignores the negativity. They write it off as fans don't know anything and ignore a lot of very valid complaints about TNA programming. I have no inside information, this is only a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Bischoff has made the decree to ignore any negative remarks about TNA. Getting positive feedback is great, but the megative feedback is what can help you grow. It lets you step back and look at what you're doing and see what the problem is. You can finally solve the problems.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts

Nick being Nick

A company boot lick

·
Registered
4,746 Posts

To be fair, Magnus isn't exactly wrong with his statement.

For every person who talks about wrestling on the internet with intelligence, there is always two or more people who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Also, I agree with Maguns when he said that it's ridiculous that they're people who want to see TNA go out of business. IMO, it's one thing to have legit criticisms about the company, but to say that you want it go out of business just because you don't like the current product is messed up, IMO.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Meh, if someone watches the show week in and week out they have a right to express their opinion on the product whether that opinion is good bad or indifferent. You don't have to work in the business to have an informed opinion on what you are actually watching.
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the people who think they know the business inside and out and do nothing to actually support the product.

Has nothing to do with opinions which is a lame duck excuse. People make opinions and then people also swear they do better than professionals. That is the point he was making.

The ones getting defensive about it here are the ones that will swear he's wrong when he's actually correct.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

1 - 20 of 79 Posts