Wrestling Forum banner

Luckiest things to happen to WWE

4122 33
Curtain call incident punishes Triple H, while Steve Austin is given a much earlier push than planned

Tony Shiavone spoiling the prerecorded outcome to The Rock vs Mankind match live on WCW Nitro and sarcastically remarking "That'll put a lot of butts in seats" ironically sparks interest in the show

Kevin Wacholz's (known as Nailz) testimony and admitted hatred of Vince McMahon leads to an acquittal during steroid scandal
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
18,710 Posts
I think the WWE was pretty lucky that WCW buried Bret Hart when interest in him was at an all-time high... Meanwhile the WWE turned that into the Mr. McMahon character...perhaps the most successful heel character of all time.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
Wow, great thread idea and I love all three of your picks.

To go along with those, I'll say the way everything led to the Montreal Screwjob turned out to work out brilliantly for WWE. In large part, that was the birth of Mr. McMahon, the character. (Though he had had altercations with Bret Hart in early '97, too, which is so juicy and ironic when you think about it.)

What about the storied episode of Stephanie McMahon overhearing John Cena rapping on a bus?

· Banned
2,204 Posts
Starrcade 97,John Cena and The Rock

· Registered
225 Posts
Hulk Hogan emerging in the 1980s
Hulk Hogan becoming the greatest politician of all time in the late 1990s WCW
Jeff Hardy's contract expiring just a month before that embarrassing drug bust
Jeff Hardy getting crazily over and selling a ton of merchandise before disappearing to TNA
The sudden, spontaneous rise to stardom of Batista
Russo leaving, being employed by the competition, and helping sink them

· Joker
698 Posts
Mr. McMahon, say no more.

· Registered
5,813 Posts
they buried Bret Hart? you mean OWEN Hart!
What? He said WCW buried Bret, and I hope you simply meant Owen was buried on television. Even though, he really never was and was always a good part of the product.

Montreal HAS to be the luckiest thing that happened to them. Birth of The Rock, John Cena and Stone Cold aren't neccesarily lucky because the 3 characters had such trememndous charismatic talent behind them that they just ran with it and it clicked.

The screwjob was such a hot moment in wrestling history and spawned so many things, including the Mr. Mcmahon character that became the protaganist to Steve Austin who is, without doubt, one the 3 most over superstars of all-time. Vince isn't a wrestler, yet was involved in one of the biggest fueds ever in mainstream wrestling, and before Montreal he wasn't really capable, or expected to be anything other than what he was. There are so many other things that came from that, if Bret had stayed around and was as adamant as he seemed to be against certain things, I can't imagine WWE going the direction it did and hitting such a massive boom and becoming the success it was during the late 90s.

It's lucky, because fans could have just stuck with Bret and left WWE. They SHOULD have. Luckily, they didn't and the product grew and here we are.

· Registered
4,644 Posts
boys in the Kliq create so many moments in wrestling industry
-Curtain call give Steve Austin a chance to show himself at King of the Ring 96...Austin 3:16
-Bret-Shawn Incident and real life fued, Bret spoke out on his hatred on Shawn and from there Vince Mcmahon slowly involve into one of the greatest heel Mr Mcmahon. WM13 suppposed to be Bret vs Shawn but it didn't work out so Bret vs Austin occur which put Austin on the map.
-Hall/Nash join WCW and form NWO...Hogan was smart guy that he turn heel...lucky moment for WCW
-lucky moment for people who got fired from WWE, Jeff Jarrett got fired from WWF so he create his own promotion known as TNA which is Alternative to WWE for people want to wrestle elsewhere other than WWE...

· Registered
995 Posts
Perhaps not so much 'lucky' but imo, THE moneymaker of all time in WWE:

'You thunp your little bible, you say your little prayers and it don't get you anywhere!! You talk about psalms, talk about John 3:16......AUSTIN 3:16 says I JUST WHUPPED YOUR ASS!!'

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.