Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 4157 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
This isn't exactly Stuff straight out of Mexico but most of its Lucha based

WWE - 24/7 - Shorties - Lucha Libre

- Note not all of the matches are shown in full so my ratings are effected.

1. June 23, 1989 - AWA - War In The Windy City
The Guerreros vs The Texas Hangmen & The Executioner

2. April 3, 1999 - ECW - Cyberslam
Super Crazy vs Mosco de la Merced
**1/2

3. April 7, 1997 - ECW
Taka Michinoku, Terry Boy & Dick Togo vs Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada & Masato Yakushiji
***1/2

4. April 25, 1978 - Championship Wrestling
Mil Mascaras, Larry Zbyszko & Haystacks Calhoun vs Strong Kobayashi, Tank Patton & The Golden Terror
*1/2

5. October 17, 1995 - ECW - 2 out of 3 Falls Match
Rey Mysterio vs Psicosis
***1/4-***1/2

6. October 26, 1997 - WCW - Halloween Havoc - Mask vs Title Match
Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guerrero

7. November 21, 1982 - Madison Square Garden
Tiger Mask vs Jose Estrada
**1/4

8. January 23, 1996 - WCW - Clash of Champions 32
Konnan vs Psicosis
**3/4

9. May 26, 1997 - WCW - Nitro
Juventud Guerrera, Super Calo & Hector Garza vs La Parka, Ciclope & Damien

10. April 11, 1999 - WCW - Spring Stampede
Blitzkrieg vs Juventud Guerrera
***1/2

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Negro Casas/El Dandy/Hector Garza vs. El Hijo del Santo/Scorpio Jr./Bestia Salvaje [CMLL 11/29/96]
Coming a week after Santito's shocking heel turn, comes this amazing and bloody brawl. This has to be seen to be believed. How this wasn't on DVDVR's Top 20 Lucha matches of the 90s yet a ton of AAA matches were is beyond me.
"NEGRO CASAS/DANDY/HECTOR GARZA vs. HIJO DEL SANTO/SCORPIO JR/BESTIA SALVAJE - EMLL 11/96
(POGO PETE)
The grudge match coming off Santito's unthinkable rudo turn the previous week, and the tecnicos are out for his blood. This is the Brawl With It All - ungodly heat (when Santo hits the ring and mockingly blows kisses to the crowd, even the piss-poor Televisa audio mix can't hide the fact that these folks would like nothing better than to see his ass on a platter), insane violence (Santo rips a set of ringside chairs off its moorings so he can level a bloodied Dandy with them) and perhaps the ultimate death-for-your-pleasure highspot (Garza tries a Shooting Star Press to the floor and accidentally invents the German Air Show Senton in the process). Dr. Morales marks out about a half-dozen times, the crowd is at a froth the whole time, Bestia is in tears at the end and Negro LAUGHS IN HIS FACE like a maniac. Unbelievably intense and dramatic. American bookers should be strapped in their chairs and forced to watch this Clockwork Orange-style to see how to book revenge matches."

This sets up the classic El Hijo del Santo vs. Negro Casas vs. El Dandy the next month and then the mask vs. hair match a year later between Santo and Casas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0D43mxBlFg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfW4mvHJ5HY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVhYYiDQj00&feature=related

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
El Dandy vs. Black Warrior [CMLL 11/2/96]
What a fantastic match that has a little bit of everything in it. It's a perfectly sound technical bout with some great lucha high spots thrown in for good measure. Not having seen a lot of El Dandy, I was really impressed with his technical prowess and Black Warrior could more than keep up. A ton of nearfalls which rack up the drama and bringing the crowd closer to the edge of their seats. Just really neat stuff.

Just read one of Ohtani Jacket's reviews and I gotta check this match out:
El Dandy vs. Javier Llanes, CMLL Middleweight Championship, 3/11/94

This was the toughest thing I've seen in ages... If people think lucha isn't real wrestling, they need to watch this match. Never before have I see two guys wrestle with such ferocity. It takes practice to make this look believable, and an even greater commitment to go out there and do it as a work, and the close-ups of both guys were more than just selling, they showed effort and bloody-minded determination.

In many ways this was like a sparring session in a gym. At the least there was something basic to it, as there were little or no strikes and neither guy was willing to submit. In this day and age, almost everything that's written or said about wrestling is cynical, but this match, whether it was a con or not, was pure sport. To that end, I was disappointed when the first fall ended off the ropes and thrilled when Llanes took the second by submission, and while they began to tire in the third and it became noticable that Llanes was feeding Dandy his arm, even the carny finish couldn't ruin what was a pure display of submission based wrestling.

One of the joys of lucha is guys submitting instantaneously to crazy looking submission holds, but this was rooted in the style that Diablo Velazco, Gori Guerrero and Enrique Llanes trained these men in. An inaccurate description of it might be 70s style matwork with a worked shoot intensity. I say inaccurate because matwork was around long before the 70s, but as a guy who watches old tapes those are the parameters. I've seen it compared to Dandy's match with Navarro, but I thought this was far more intense.

It's curious then that this match should pop up in 1994 CMLL. This era of CMLL is notable for a number of bare-bone classics, but nothing with matwork to compare to this. Anyway, if you want to watch a match with incredible wristlock work or vein popping submissions, do yourself a favour.

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
That Black Warrior match is good, but you really aught to look to '89-'92 for some really great Dandy. There's a lot of worthwhile Dandy post-'92 (the Llanes match is awesome), but he was at his peak during that four year spell starting in '89.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Goodhelmet made an el Dandy compilation.

Match Listing:
[hide]Disc 1
El Dandy vs. Javier Cruz (Fair VQ) (EMLL 10/26/84)
El Dandy, Talisman y Fuerza Guerrera vs. Rocca, Valaquez y Galactica (EMLL 3/22/85)
El Dandy, Talisman y Guerrero Negro vs. Los Javieres (EMLL 3/21/87)
El Dandy, Talisman y Guerrero Negro vs. Los Javieres (EMLL 1987)
El Dandy, Magico y Superastro vs. Gran Cochise, Javier Cruz y Javier Rocca (EMLL 11/11/87)

Disc 2
El Dandy, Super Muneco y Texano vs. Atlantis, Blue Demon Jr y Angel Azteca (EMLL 3/24/89)
El Dandy & El Texano vs. Atlantis & Angel Azteca (EMLL 3/31/89)
El Dandy y Apolo Dantes vs. Cien Caras y Mascara Ano 2000 (EMLL 5/12/89)
El Dandy, Atlantis y Popitekus vs. Pirata Morgan, Gran Markus y Ulises (EMLL 5/26/89)
El Dandy vs. Emilio Charles Jr. (EMLL 7/28/89)

Disc 3
El Dandy y Satanico vs. MS1 y El Masakre (EMLL 8/11/89)
El Dandy, Javier Cruz y Eddy Guerrero vs. Jerry Estrada, Ary Romero y Rick Patterson (EMLL 10/6/89)
El Dandy, Mascara Sagrada y Atlantis vs. Emilio Charles Jr., MS1 y Tierra, Viento y Fuego (EMLL 11/25/89)
El Dandy vs. Emilio Charles Jr. (EMLL 12/1/89)
El Dandy, Mogur y Popitekus vs. Pierroth Jr., MS1 y Ulises (EMLL 1/5/90)

Disc 4
El Dandy, Angel Azteca y El Texano vs. Fuerza Guerrera, Pierroth Jr. y Jerry Estrada (EMLL 3/2/90)
El Dandy, Chavo Guerrero y El Texano vs. Angel Azteca, Americo Rocca y Javier Cruz (EMLL 3/9/90)
El Dandy, Chavo Guerrero y El Texano vs. Angel Azteca, Americo Rocca y Javier Cruz (EMLL 3/16/90)
El Dandy vs. Angel Azteca (Shaky) (EMLL 3/23/90)

Disc 5
El Dandy, El Gran Hamada y El Satanico vs. Pirata Morgan, Angel Blanco Jr. y Emilio Charles Jr. (EMLL 4/6/90)
El Dandy, El Satanico y Atlantis vs. Ulises, MS1 y Emilio Charles Jr. (EMLL 5/4/90)
El Dandy, El Satanico y Emilio Charles Jr. vs. Atlantis, Javier Cruz y Angel Azteca (EMLL 5/11/90)
El Dandy, El Satanico y Emilio Charles Jr. vs. Atlantis, Angel Azteca y Javier Cruz (EMLL 5/18/90)
El Dandy y Angel Azteca vs. Javier Cruz y Emilio Charles Jr. (EMLL 5/25/90)

Disc 6
El Dandy vs. Angel Azteca (EMLL 6/1/90)
EL Dandy y El Satanico vs. Angel Azteca y Atlantis (EMLL 6/15/90)
El Dandy, Javier Cruz y El Satanico vs. Ringo Mendoza, Masakre y MS1 (EMLL 7/27/90)
El Dandy, Rayo De Jalisco Jr. y Satanico vs. Cien Caras, Mascara Ano 2000 y MS-1 (EMLL 8/17/90)
El Dandy, Atlantis y Ringo Mendoza vs. Perro Aguayo, Kung Fu y El Satanico (EMLL 10/19/90)

Disc 7
El Dandy vs. El Satanico (EMLL 10/26/90)
El Dandy, Sangre Chicana y Lizmark vs. El Satanico, Emilio Charles Jr. y Jerry Estrada (EMLL 11/9/90)
El Dandy vs. El Satanico (Hair Match) (EMLL 12/14/90)
El Dandy, Super Astro y Popetikus vs. Los Brazos (EMLL 5/3/91)
El Dandy, Super Astro y Kato Kung Lee vs. Fuerza Guerrera, Kung Fu y Jerry Estrada (EMLL 5/17/91)

Disc 8
El Dandy, Black Magic y Apolo Dantes vs. Javier Cruz, Pierroth Jr. y Blue Panther (CMLL 8/16/91)
El Dandy vs. El Satanico (Hair Match) (CMLL 12/6/91)
El Dandy vs. Negro Casas (Snowy reception/ Fair VQ) (CMLL 7/3/92)
El Dandy vs. Emilio Charles Jr. (CMLL 11/21/93)

Disc 9
El Dandy vs. Javier Llanes (CMLL 3/11/94)
El Dandy, Silver King & El Texano vs. Chris Benoit, El Vampiro y Rayo de Jalisco Jr. (CMLL 7/8/94)
El Dandy, Bestia Salvaje y Negro Casas vs. Corazon De Leon, Felino y Ultimo Dragon (CMLL 3/3/95)
El Dandy, El Hijo Del Santo y Hector Garza vs. Black Panther, Blue Panther y Fuerza Guerrera (CMLL 11/10/95)
El Dandy, El Hijo Del Santo y Silver King vs. Negro Casas, Apolo Dantes y El Satanico (CMLL 2/10/96)

Disc 10
El Dandy, Atlantis y Hector Garza vs. Apolo Dantes, Dr. Wagner Jr. y Felino (CMLL 6/96)
El Dandy vs. Black Warrior (CMLL 10/15/96)
El Dandy, Negro Casas y Hector Garza vs. El Hijo Del Santo, Scorpio Jr y Bestia Salvaje (CMLL 11/29/96)
El Dandy vs. El Hijo del Santo vs. Negro Casas (CMLL 12/6/96)

Disc 11
El Dandy, Negro Casas, Atlantis, Ultimo Dragon, Mascara Magica, Shocker, La Fiera y Brazo De Oro vs. El Hijo del Santo, Dr. Wagner, Jr., Felino, Scorpio, Jr., Black Warrior, Kevin Quinn, Satanico y Silver King (16 Man Cibernetico Match) (CMLL 4/18/97)
El Dandy, La Parka, Psicosis & Silver King vs. Juventud Guerrera, Super Calo, Chavo Guerrero Jr. & Lizmark Jr. (Souled Out 1/24/98)
El Dandy, Super Calo y Hector Garza vs. Juventud Guerrera, Psicosis y Blitzkrieg (Nitro 2/15/99)
El Dandy, Dr. Wagner Jr., Silver King, & Bestia Salvaje vs. Super Parka, Antifaz, Felino & Mr. Niebla (Monterrey 7/23/00)
El Dandy, Silver King & Arandu vs. La Parka, Silver Star & Hijo Del Santo (Monterrey 8/22/00) (JIP)

Disc 12
El Dandy vs. Antifaz Del Norte (Monterrey 9/17/00)
El Dandy vs. Negro Navarro (IWRG 11/8/01)
El Dandy, Ultimo Vampiro y Fantasma vs. Bomber Infernal, Negro Navarro y Pantera (IWRG 3/14/02)
El Dandy y Fantasma vs. Negro Navarro y Pantera (IWRG 4/4/02)

Disc 13
El Dandy vs. Hijo del Perro Aguayo (AAA 8/31/02)
El Dandy vs. Hijo del Perro Aguayo vs. Electroshock vs. Mr. Aguila – (Cage match) (AAA 9/2/02)
El Dandy vs. Hijo del Perro Aguayo (AAA 2/28/03)
El Dandy vs. Heavy Metal (Chain Match) (AAA 5/3/03)
El Dandy, Super Crazy y Ultimo Guerrero vs. Damian 666, Halloween y Nicho El Millonario (Lucha Libra Azteca 7/11/04)
El Dandy vs. L.A. Par-K (2004 Match of the Year) (ENESMA 10/29/04)
“Who are you to doubt El Dandy?”[/hide]

Personally, I'm not a huge Lucha fan, as the lack of physicality bothers me. Now, I'm not saying all Lucha lacks it, but the majority of what I've seen does. To be honest, my favorite Lucha matches took place in ECW when Misterio/Psicosis/Juventud invaded. "Extreme Lucha Libre" indeed.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Psicosis [AAA 9/22/95]
Upon rewatching this, I'm actually disappointed with this match. When I was just getting into lucha, this was my #1 match but this isn't the best lucha match that I've seen from 1995. I'm going to get some slack for this but I prefer Rey's work that he's done in the WWE over what he was doing in Mexico as I feel that even though he couldn't do the same breathtaking spots, he had to use actual storytelling and psychology to get his work over and in my opinion, he's easily the best worker in the WWE along with Daniel Bryan. Onto the match, maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of early 90s CMLL but this lacks any of the real smooth technique and mastery of the likes of Dandy or Casas and is more of a spotfest but I guess that's the point of the match. Too bad that I don't really like spotfests. Well, I did mark out when Psicosis goes for a spot because he's so out of control and I love that. I consider him one of the best bumpers in the business at the time along with Foley and Sabu. Not an out and out terrible match, in the case of a spotfest, it's a pretty good one and people should seek it out but at this point of my lucha viewing this doesn't do much for me. I do love their ECW 10/7/95 match.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Psicosis [AAA 9/22/95]
Upon rewatching this, I'm actually disappointed with this match. When I was just getting into lucha, this was my #1 match but this isn't the best lucha match that I've seen from 1995. I'm going to get some slack for this but I prefer Rey's work that he's done in the WWE over what he was doing in Mexico as I feel that even though he couldn't do the same breathtaking spots, he had to use actual storytelling and psychology to get his work over and in my opinion, he's easily the best worker in the WWE along with Daniel Bryan. Onto the match, maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of early 90s CMLL but this lacks any of the real smooth technique and mastery of the likes of Dandy or Casas and is more of a spotfest but I guess that's the point of the match. Too bad that I don't really like spotfests. Well, I did mark out when Psicosis goes for a spot because he's so out of control and I love that. I consider him one of the best bumpers in the business at the time along with Foley and Sabu. Not an out and out terrible match, in the case of a spotfest, it's a pretty good one and people should seek it out but at this point of my lucha viewing this doesn't do much for me. I do love their ECW 10/7/95 match.
I love their ECW series. I have, to an extent, similar tastes in lucha. However, I like a blend of both mat work and highspots. Too much of one is always bad, and not enough of the other is also, bad.

·
Banned
751 Posts
I'm watching a bit of the Luchamania video and it is L-A-M-E lame. Although the announcers voice is epic in the vein of 80s instructional videos.
Not to contradict what you just said, but the people who have reviewed it on Netflix (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Luchamania_La_Batalla_por_Mexico/70102624?trkid=2361637) seem to disagree with you. Is it as bad as they say it is?

The production is horrid, but the feud itself is awesome. The commentary is so bad it's funny.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
DVDVR - Top 20 Lucha Matches of the 90's

Disc One

20. CMLL - 23/5/93
Ciclon Ramirez vs Felino
***1/2

19. AAA - 29/1/93
Rey Mysterio Jr, Super Calo & Winners vs Psicosis, Heavy Metal & Picudo

18. CMLL - 26/11/99 - 16 Man Cibernetico
El Hijo Del Santo, Antifaz del Norte, Olimpico, Tarzan Boy, Tony Rivera, Felino, Negro Casas & Emilio Charles Jr vs Rey Bucanero, Ultimo Guerrero, Black Warrior, Satanico, Bestia Salvaje, Blue Panther, Fuerza Guerrera & Zumbido
***1/2
Fun but much too clipped.

Disc Two

17. CMLL - 3/9/97 - CMLL Light Heavyweight Title Match
Mr Niebla vs Dr Wagner Jr

16. CMLL - 3/10/97
Bracito De Oro, Cicloncito Ramirez & Mascarita Magica vs Damiancito El Guerrero, El Fierito & Pierrothito

15. AAA - 3/4/92 - Mask vs Mask
Blue Panther vs Love Machine
***1/2

Will get through the rest eventually.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
DVDVR - Top 20 Lucha Matches of the 90's

Disc 3

14. CMLL - 10/6/94 - Hair vs Hair Match
Javier Cruz vs Ciclon Ramirez

13. Tijuana - 16/3/96
Rey Mysterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera
***3/4-****

12. AAA - 16/6/95 - WWA Lightweight Title
****-****1/4

11. UWA - 26/1/92
Pegasus Kid vs Villano III
****1/4

Disc 4

10. CMLL - 23/6/95
Silver King vs Apollo Dantes

9. AAA - 12/1/96
Psicosis & Juventud Guerrera vs El Volador & El Mexicano
***1/2-***3/4

8. AAA - 16/3/95
El Hijo del Santo, Octagon & Rey Mysterio Jr vs Fuerza Guerrera, Psicosis & Blue Panther
****-****1/4

Disc Five

7. CMLL - 19/9/97 - Mask vs Hair
El Hijo Del Santo vs Negro Casas
****-****1/4

6. AAA - 3/5/95 - WWA Lightweight Title
El Hijo Del Santo vs Psicosis
****1/4

5. CMLL - 6/12/96 - Mask vs Hair vs Hair
El Hijo Del Santo vs Negro Casas vs El Dandy
****1/4-****1/2

4. AAA - 21/4/95 - WWA Lightweight Title
****1/4-****1/2

Disc Six

3. AAA - 22/9/95
Psicosis vs Rey Mysterio Jr
****1/2

2. AAA - 6/11/94 - Mask vs Hair
El Hijo Del Santo & Octagon vs Love Machine & Eddy Guerrero

1. CMLL - 18/4/97 - 16 Man Cibernetico
Negro Casas, Atlantis, Ultimo Dragon, El Dandy, Mascara Magica, Shocker, La Fiera & Brazo De Oro
vs
El Hijo Del Santo, Dr Wagner Jr, Felino, Scorpio Jr, Black Warrior, Kevin Quinn, Satanico & Silver King

While i certainly didnt feel everything on this set was correct. The last disc is worth the price alone. Two fantastic matches. I assume pretty much everyone has seen the tag but the Cibernetico is just as good if not better.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Pretty cool to see a non-lucha fan review some lucha. My ratings of the matches would differ. I'm not a fan of the When World's Collide match anymore and it's one of my least favorite matches on the set. There's a match from a year before that where they had a 40+ minute match and it told a better story in my opinion. At least this match had really great crowd heat.

El Hijo del Santo vs. Negro Casas, in my opinion, is by far the best match on the set. In fact, I thought it rivaled Misawa/Kobashi and Hart/Austin as best match from 1997. I also think that context should be made for the matches on the set as this was stemming from a rivalry they've had since the 80s and this time Santito is the rudo.

Cibernetico would be #2 in my rankings of the set. Too bad when the voting took place, everyone was into AAA, which was the most that was available, but the voting would be very different as a lot of early 90s EMLL is now available and those matches blow away any of the AAA matches on the set.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
Santo/Casas is imo match of the year for 97 and Cicloncito/Damiancito or Misawa/Kobashi would be the runner up. All three of those are top 10 of all time contenders as well. 1997 is fucking RIDICULOUS.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Pretty cool to see a non-lucha fan review some lucha. My ratings of the matches would differ. I'm not a fan of the When World's Collide match anymore and it's one of my least favorite matches on the set. There's a match from a year before that where they had a 40+ minute match and it told a better story in my opinion. At least this match had really great crowd heat.

El Hijo del Santo vs. Negro Casas, in my opinion, is by far the best match on the set. In fact, I thought it rivaled Misawa/Kobashi and Hart/Austin as best match from 1997. I also think that context should be made for the matches on the set as this was stemming from a rivalry they've had since the 80s and this time Santito is the rudo.

Cibernetico would be #2 in my rankings of the set. Too bad when the voting took place, everyone was into AAA, which was the most that was available, but the voting would be very different as a lot of early 90s EMLL is now available and those matches blow away any of the AAA matches on the set.
Yeah some of my ratings are probably effected by my lack of knowledge but it was still a very good set and a very good way to get to know a few more Lucha guys that i wasn't overly familiar with.

161 - 180 of 4157 Posts