Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
Taker's run was Nov 1990 to Apr 2017 as a top guy, so 26 years. The last 5 or so years was just as a part timer, so we're looking around 20-21 years as a top guy.

Then you look at Hogan who wasn't just a top guy but pretty much THE top guy in the industry between 1984-2002. Which is an 18 year run. You could add on a few extra years for his matches with the likes of HBK & Orton and maybe even tack-on his TNA run but for my money Undertaker's 21 years do not match up to Hogan's 18.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Forgive me for saying this, but I bet Alberto Del Rio is more famous than this El Santo. Longevity without universal fame and recognition is futile.

When Del Rio has a comic book about him that runs for 35 years, stars in movies, is the subject of a google doodle, has his picture on Mexican lottery tickets, wrestling cards held in his honor, statues made of him etc. the he'll be approaching the same level fame El Santo had.

A few articles on El Santo

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/23/el-santo-google-doodle-mexico-wrestler-lucha-libre

http://slam.canoe.com/SlamWrestlingFeatures/santo.html

·
WWE Fan Since '81
1,083 Posts
So many people in this thread with no clue as to what they are talking about. Taker is without question one of the best in regards to longevity, but to say he's the "greatest WRESTLER of all-time, without question" or "100 percent and it's not even close" is just asinine and shows how ignorant some fans are. Here are some numbers in regards to longevity...

Gypsy Joe 60 years

"Superstar" Bill Dundee 53 years

Harley Race 53 years

Sputnik Monroe 53 years

Abdullah the Butcher 52 years

The Sheik 49 years

Terry Funk 48 years

Mil Mascaras 48 years

Lou Thesz 47 years, although he did wrestle a match in 1990 which would make it 58.

El Santo 47 years

Bullet Bob Armstrong 47 years

Jackie Fargo 46 years

Jerry "The King" Lawler 45 years

Carlos Colon 45 years

Dos Caras 43 years

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine 41 years

Blue Demon 41 years

Atshushi Onita 40 years

So while what Taker has accomplished is a great feat, it pales in comparison to many other great wrestlers over the years.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I guess it comes down to consistency for me. If I'm looking at years as the top guy of their promotions, my list has Hogan and Flair looks like this
Flair- 81-91 not debatable. For that decade he was champion for about 8.5 cumulative years.
92- Debatable with Hogan and Savage
93-Debatable with Sting and Vader
94 - Debatable with Hogan

Hogan
84-87 Not debatable
88- Debatable with Savage
90. Debatable with Warrior
92. Debatable with Flair and Savage.
94- Debatable with Flair
95-97

Hogan gets enoumous points for being responsible for two booms, but there was some really bad stuff in there, too. Robbing Bret at WM9, Fingerpoke of Doom, robbing Jarrett of the title. 99-01 were terrible.

Flair was always an amazing performer. Even into his 50s, imo. It's just that once Bischoff decided that the WWF were going to be the top guys he was booked as a mid carder.

Of course these two squash Taker if your emphasis is on time on the very top. Which is fair.

Taker was never the top guy, but if you don't think that ABA was a failure he has 24 years of being a quality top 5(at some points higher) guy. He was a maineventer for 27 years, butnthe last three weren't quality. There aren't any shitstains for 24 years. Plus there's the steak.

If I'm working a 15 year timetable, Flair wins. If I'm working a 25 year timetable I'm sticking with Taker. Again, I'm sticking with what I know well. 80s- present.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
Yes. Also, it's not easy to play a 90s era gimmick in the internet/social media age. He was able to sustain interest after 2004 by the high caliber matches he offered.

I wish he had tweaked the Dead Man character a bit back into BikerTaker after the streak ended. Heel Taker from December 2001-October 2002 was amazing. He also shouldn't have buried Wyatt that bad.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
588 Posts
No. For me Flair and Hogan are above him. Also HHH is pretty close to him.

Reactions: venkyrenga
21 - 32 of 32 Posts