Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it funny that Taker FINALLY breaks character after returning as the Deadman in 2004 against Kane, goes 16+ years running the same gimmick, then reverts back to the American Badass/Big Evil or a hybrid between ABA/Deadman (whatever you want to call it), cuts one of the best promos of his career, and not a peep. (even though half of it was bullshit like the Michelle McCool part saying that she got the Styles Clash over) Even social media doesn't give a shit lol.

LOL I guess its too little too late. This should have happened after he left his hat and robe in the ring coming off of the Roman loss. Or when Cena was breaking kayfabe against Taker. Or even back when he lost the streak would have been better. WWE picks NOW in a half-assed feud against AJ that no one gives a shit about to finally pull the plug on the Deadman and do something different. Ths should have been one of the biggest character changes in Taker's career and a true moment. But I guess that ship has sailed with the fans.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Most people don’t care about wrestling right now because of everything that’s going on. People at my job are causal fans and they don’t even care. I was trying to talk about the Undertaker and Edge promos last night and they didn’t give a fuck.

I for one loved the promos last night. I also am excited about some of the Wrestlemania matches. Edge/Orton has been great. Thought Styles/Undertaker has been fantastic. AJ Styles has cut some of his best promo work. Then you had The Undertaker promo. Wyatt and Cena has been good.

·
Death Rides a Horse
798 Posts
Agreed with that it's to little too late. I remember watching the Undertaker as a kid and thinking how bad ass and unstoppable this guy was, but now? That memory has been tarnished. The guy looks like he's on the verge of using a walker, takes an hour to get to the ring, and constantly looks gassed if a match goes longer than five minutes.

If the guy was hard up for money he should have went into acting surely he would have been a good C, D, level actor by now. Plus he could still maintain the illusion of being a badass kinda of like a fat Steven Seagal.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I don´t want the Undertaker to return as ABA, so I just listened to the promo and didn´t actually look. At this point in his career, there´s no need to change the gimmick.. If SCSA returned as The Ringmaster, people would be dissappointed, it´s the same with Undertaker - The nostalgia carries ½ of the presentation.

·
Registered
12,616 Posts
WWe has been pushing away their audience for years.

Throwing them a bone once every five years isn't enough to keep people interested.

Combine that with WWe's inability and unwillingness to push multiple people over multiple demographics and you end up where they are now.

The audience is gone, simple as that.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
It was a good promo, and it was a little surprising to see him dressed like American Badass Taker, but this Mania is so weird that it's hard to get excited about anything.

Also, while he was dressed in biker clothes and spoke normally, he still snuck the "Rest In Peace" line in there. So I think it was meant to be more "Mark Calaway" than the American Badass. Hard to get hyped when they're holding back on really giving us what we want.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,713 Posts
Well I kinda cared since 'Big Evil' Taker is who I wanted back at WM34 against Cena originally, The promo was good in a sense he wanted to fire back at AJ by getting under his skin as much as possible I mean AJ did insult Taker and his wife about saving tigers and so on besides classing his wife as a good digger pretty much.

Still expect AJ to win for a plethora of obvious reasons.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Taker has become a 35 year old guy who still shows up to college keggers. No one kicks him out because he's nice and buys beer for everyone. But no one particularly wants him there and would prefer that he stopped coming.
I see him as a sellout to the business. When you have a retirement moment that includes leaving your boots and hat in the ring, that means you're done. Permanently. You don't get to come back from that, without losing all credibility.

If Undertaker hadn't done that, then I'd be say wrestle forever. But once you say you are retired and go thru that entire spectacle, your word should mean something. Hell, CM Punk's "retirement" has lasted alot longer than Undertaker's ever did, and CM Punk is 15 years younger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No one cares about this dying wrestling product anymore. WWE has not been good at all in years and no, its not the pandemic's fault

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I guess people want the visual of him coming back in a motorcycle using the Limp Bizkit song with crowd erupting, that said I never liked that gimmick.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts