Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cody is on commentary this week for the MacIntyre/Christian match, and here are some of his lines:

Striker: "Wow, you smell good Cody! You look good..."
Cody: "I smell dashing."

Todd: "Have you ever thought about working for an oldies radio station? You have a great DJ voice."
Cody: "That's uh, that's really clever. I've got a lot of good things."
Striker: "It's a dashing voice...it's raspy...dare I say sexy?"

Cody: "Todd, I'm a little disappointed. Earlier today I saw you walking around and, uh...one long, black nose hair, huh?"
Striker: "Ewwww."

Either way, he seems really secure.

And on a serious note, is anyone else loving him more and more. I like the fact that he actually makes an effort...it's blindingly obvious when you compare him to the RAW team. And commentary on PPV has picked up ever since he started calling the whole show. He livens up King and Cole a ton.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
I was about to make some constructive criticism about your thread title until you said "on a serious note".

Matt Striker is awesome. I always love his commentary and wish the WWE would put him on RAW. He sounds so articulate when he speaks and he's very funny. I love his smart ass responses too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
He gets so into it, he really makes you believe he loves what he's doing. Listen to him when Daniel Bryan was announced as the seventh man, he lost it. Even called him American Dragon, it was awesome.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Is there anything in WWE people DON'T complain about? If JR said the same thing, ppl will be like "WWE is ruining JR by scripting him so much". This forum is getting worse and worse each day. Jericho probably receives least amount of complaints on here but even then, people still complain that jerichos not what he used to be.

Striker is calling these matches as a fan and has to play abit of a heel role as well while doing so.

·
Banned
858 Posts
Is there anything in WWE people DON'T complain about? If JR said the same thing, ppl will be like "WWE is ruining JR by scripting him so much". This forum is getting worse and worse each day. Jericho probably receives least amount of complaints on here but even then, people still complain that jerichos not what he used to be.

Striker is calling these matches as a fan and has to play abit of a heel role as well while doing so.
No, Striker is calling these matches as a pompus, know-it-all, sickly-sweet, fake prick. I don't know the guy, so I can't say if that's how he truly is but I hate his on-screen character. If you're wondering why see the following:

• When he sings along to songs
  • When he goes on and on about Vickie Guerrerro while everyone (him included) knows shes a pig
  • When he over-reacts to everything
  • When he tries to come across as knowing the reason and cause of everything under the Sun
  • When he uses shitty alliteration with every wrestler
  • When he tries to talk up an event/wrestler/entrance by going off on a 45 second monologue which is followed by silence from his broadcast partner

I could go on but I've made my point. The fact is, on-screen, he's not a fan, his on-screen character is an announcer and I feel he should start acting like one or better yet, send him backstage.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
I haven't heard any of Striker's commentary in the last week and a half because I was at all of the shows and I just got back home last night. I'll watch and listen to them all soon.

For me, and I say this ruefully, Matt Striker peaked somewhere around last October-November-December. I think it was that Slammy's Show or something in there that kind of took away some of the greatness that I had become excited about from him. He's fallen into some fairly uninspired and unfortunate announcing habits during matches. It seemed like around last December or January, Vince or somebody told Striker, "More, more more!" and he's consequently lost his balance. There was something "adult" about Striker before, but he's becoming increasingly dependent on his particular crutches of announcing.

I'm very excited to hear him mark out for Danielson, though. That restores some hope. The guy has his heart in the right place and he's very passionate, you can feel that from him, but he's not what he once was and that's too bad. But he's still better than that glorified corpse in hideous shirts, Jerry Lawler.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
he's hit or miss for me. usually depends who is in the ring or what is going on. there are things he is much better at than others.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He was calling him ugly (duckface) a few months ago before the gimmick took off.
Really? I remember him calling Cody the most attractive male on the roster a month or two prior to the initial 'Dashing' promo.

And I don't really think 'duckface' is necessarily a bad thing. Michelle Williams is kinda duck-like, but she's stunningly beautiful.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And to be honest, I'd rather have someone try too hard than someone who doesn't try at all. The fact that he cares so much to the point where he comes up with all these facts for each and every wrestler makes me like him more.

Of course, Melina is my favourite wrestler, and she defo tries too hard at times too, so maybe that kind of thing just works for me.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts