Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Estimates on Lockdown were about 17,000 buys. It was down from Lockdown the last several years, probably the lowest since they started doing the show, but it looks like it was well over double that of Victory Road in March. I would suspect next month will go back down to around half that since that’s what they’ve been doing unless it’s a major show or it’s Jeff Hardy challenging Roode on top.
Source: Wrestling Observer

Man TNA needs needs good news on the business front it is getting fairly depressing to see things not clicking (yet).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I dont know if it will ever click in TNA. They have lost so many consumers over the years and consumer confidence would be as low as its ever been. And the fact is TNA's ppvs are just not up to scratch and when they do have a good card on paper it tends to under deliver with matches not getting time, booking issues etc

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
They don't give people a reason to buy these PPV's.

When was the last time a main event on PPV ended with a clean finish?

·
Banned
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know if it will ever click in TNA. They have lost so many consumers over the years and consumer confidence would be as low as its ever been. And the fact is TNA's ppvs are just not up to scratch and when they do have a good card on paper it tends to under deliver with matches not getting time, booking issues etc
They book too many unsatisfying main events. I think a lot of buyers would feel jipped by the ending of the cage match.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
The Roode/Storm promo before the PPV was money but it was in a VERY tough position to draw a few weeks after the biggest money show in wrestling history and one week before one of the biggest MMA fights of the year with Jones/Rashad. Add to that the low trust there's in their fanbase and you got your answer. No matter what you put on the show from the current group, it's not going to be a game changer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not Surprising, besides Hardy vs. Angle & Roode vs. Storm, there was absolutely nothing else on the card worth watching, and even then, Roode vs Storm had a stupid finish.

·
Self High Five!
146 Posts
These days in wrestling, Is there really any difference between what you get on Impact/Raw and what you get on the PPV's.

Half the time, the night after the PPV will just be a throw away rematch on the weekly show anyway, and we see so many matches on Impact/Raw involving all the main wrestlers, that when it comes to the PPV it hardly feels 'special'

Back in the day when you'd have a bunch of jobbers being squashed by the 'superstars' and have a main attraction match thrown in, by the time it got to a PPV where you'd see Superstar vs Superstar, it was a huge occasion..months of build and not seeing these wrestlers go head to head every week added to the magic of a PPV...

why pay $40 for something you've seen time and time again on the weekly shows!?

I understand lockdown is a special attraction PPV, so maybe that should do a little better, but still, the magic of PPV's dissapeared a long long time ago ..and it's sad. I wish it wasn't like that.

Add the fact it really doesn't help when there's a PPV every 4 weeks, and to be honest even then it seems like they are every 5 minutes because the time goes so fast!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling is a privately held professional wrestling promotion founded by Jeff Jarrett and Jerry Jarrett. The company broadcasts its events on television and the Internet fifty two weeks a year with over a million weekly viewers on its primary television program, Impact Wrestling on Spike.

Some guys really hate TNA, even in the dirtsheets, i dont get it, i really dont.

·
Registered
800 Posts
These days in wrestling, Is there really any difference between what you get on Impact/Raw and what you get on the PPV's.

Half the time, the night after the PPV will just be a throw away rematch on the weekly show anyway, and we see so many matches on Impact/Raw involving all the main wrestlers, that when it comes to the PPV it hardly feels 'special'

Back in the day when you'd have a bunch of jobbers being squashed by the 'superstars' and have a main attraction match thrown in, by the time it got to a PPV where you'd see Superstar vs Superstar, it was a huge occasion..months of build and not seeing these wrestlers go head to head every week added to the magic of a PPV...
This is exactly why I stopped buying PPVs... Why pay the money, when you can see the rematch the next day... Both companies are cutting their own legs out from themselves...

·
Registered
957 Posts
*Insert TNA Private Company Quote Here*

Whilst it's easy to speculate and maybe these dirtsheets have insider information, you got to take it with a grain of salt. I personally enjoyed the PPV and TNA are said to be producing a profit. People seem to ride TNA based on ratings and buys, and whilst I won't take away from their importance they aren't the be all and end all of a professional wrestling company.TNA is EXTREMELY successful in over aspects of business:

- Making a profit (Apparently)
- Talented roster mixing big names with talent
- Primetime TV slot with millions of viewers (they currently share a third of viewers RAW gets)
- Tons of International exposure through television (even beating WWE in UK ratings)
- Financial stability and solid investments (Panda, Spike and Direct Auto)

TNA gets a lot of slack because they are battling WWE on ratings and similar aspects, and I won't lie that is still important. But TNA isn't exactly a failure, it is just stuck in an industry that is overexposed and over-saturated by WWE's dominance. But to be where they are in such a short time as a brand-new company is quite remarkable and I don't feel TNA gets enough credit for it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I find it hard to believe that Lockdown would be worse than the last couple of TNA PPVs considering this was a very hyped up PPV.

·
Banned
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling is a privately held professional wrestling promotion founded by Jeff Jarrett and Jerry Jarrett. The company broadcasts its events on television and the Internet fifty two weeks a year with over a million weekly viewers on its primary television program, Impact Wrestling on Spike.

Some guys really hate TNA, even in the dirtsheets, i dont get it, i really dont.
Do we have to do this every thread? Do they create posters like this in a factory? WWF,WCW,ECW and UFC were all private companies yet Dave still got the numbers. Dave's estimation methods have been proven to be extremely close
to final published number in regards to WWE's buyrates.

The idea Dave Meltzer hates TNA as a company is stupid beyond words. I am amazed people still bring this up. Most people who say this don't actually read the dirtsheets 99% of the time.

Kamikaze™;11365052 said:
Whilst it's easy to speculate and maybe these dirtsheets have insider information, you got to take it with a grain of salt.
Good post overall.

I dont mind anyone have a healthy scepticism but this whole durrr the dirtsheets are totally BS and Meltzer hates TNA thing is really eye rolling.

Fuck Observer, they report crap or half-crap most of the time. If true, then cool.
Do you read it?

I find it hard to believe that Lockdown would be worse than the last couple of TNA PPVs considering this was a very hyped up PPV.
No. It is one of the lowest Lockdowns.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Do we have to do this every thread? Do they create posters like this in a factory? WWF,WCW,ECW and UFC were all private companies yet Dave still got the numbers. Dave's estimation methods have been proven to be extremely close
to final published number in regards to WWE's buyrates.

The idea Dave Meltzer hates TNA as a company is stupid beyond words. I am amazed people still bring this up. Most people who say this don't actually read the dirtsheets 99% of the time.

I dont mind anyone have a healthy scepticism but this whole durrr the dirtsheets are totally BS and Meltzer hates TNA thing is really eye rolling.

Do you read it?

No. It is one of the lowest Lockdowns.
Wow. And you work for them?

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
Well, there was no exciting match, including Storm/Roode which is just not as hot as TNA wants us to believe it is. TNA needs to push recognizable and reliable names like AJ Styles again, and then use him to elevate whatever new guy they choose to push after giving him a nice run with the title. Options should be Pope, A Double and Magnus, talent with the "it" factor and drawing potential. They made the big mistake out of trying to create something out of TWO unestablished names, that's like going from Triple H vs John Cena to Dolph Ziggler vs Cody Rhodes as the ME at Summerslam. Having two glorified midcarders mainevent the 2nd biggest TNA PPV of the year was just not a good business decision, despite the buildup. If Joe was motivated he would be another option for someone who could have mainevented and put either guy over, he's a proven draw and a big name who draws great reaction almost everywhere. Without AJ or Joe you can't do it.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
Joe Vs Roode would be an awesome feud.

·
Registered
721 Posts
These numbers are bullshit! PPV companies would not even bother running the shows if this are the buyrates they drew.

·
Comin' at you like a double-fisted kangaroo
21,054 Posts
These numbers are bullshit! PPV companies would not even bother running the shows if this are the buyrates they drew.
Yes they would, especially since TNA is locked in a contract with the providers and have to put on a show so they can get their cut. That's why there's talk of doing less ppvs once the current contract runs out.

As for the number, even with TNA lessening the importance of their B-shows it's a little shocking that their second-biggest show would do less then 20K, still double the number of their other shows.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The PPV companies dont pay the costs, they just air it and collect a huge amount of the money. Many PPVs (none wrestling) before had around 1000 buys and werent cancelled. That Urban Wrestling company had about 2000 buys total i think, yet they are still around doing PPVs. 14000 buys means the PPV companies made over $200000 for a few hours of airtime.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts