Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually got the idea of this thread from two feuds in TNA that are seemingly set to carry on into their biggest PPV of the year in Bound For Glory in AJ Styles/Christopher Daniels and Rob Van Dam/Jerry Lynn. As good as both Christopher Daniels and Jerry Lynn both are they have spent the majority of their careers in the shadow of AJ Styles and Rob Van Dam respectively despite both being better all round so what other wrestlers can be seen in the same way.

Of course there is the obvious ones like Marty Jannetty being firmly in the shadow of Shawn Michaels and Stevie Ray being firmly in the shadow of Booker T but that always seems to happen in tag teams as one will have a stellar career whilst one will languish. Ones that come to mind that i hate to say would be Randy Savage in the shadow of Hulk Hogan, Lex Luger being in the shadow of Sting, Rick Steiner being in the shadow of Scott Steiner and Arn Anderson being in the shadow of Ric Flair.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
I'd say Matt Hardy was always in the shadow of Jeff for the most part.

·
Registered
300 Posts
no matter what david flair does he will never get out of the shadow of hi father

kane in undertakers

randy orton in cenas

chavo in eddies and reys

matt in jeffs

maybe someday mason ryans in batistas lol

ted dibiases in his fathers, randys, codys, and maryses

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,027 Posts
An obvious one would be Christian in Edge's

Owen Hart in Bret Hart's

Some 3rd/2nd gen superstars such as David Flair, Ted Debiase jnr, Micheal McGuilicuty and Goldust(He's More in Cody's shadow though)

Colt Cobana in CM Punk's(Punk has had a pretty good career, but his good friend and former tag partner hasn't had much success.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
An obvious one would be Christian in Edge's

Owen Hart in Bret Hart's

Some 3rd/2nd gen superstars such as David Flair, Ted Debiase jnr, Micheal McGuilicuty and Goldust(He's More in Cody's shadow though)

Colt Cobana in CM Punk's(Punk has had a pretty good career, but his good friend and former tag partner hasn't had much success.
Golddust is Codys, serious? How long have you been watching, a year or two?

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was actually thinking of Matt Hardy living in th shadow of Jeff Hardy and Christian living in the shadow of Edge but for some reason began thinking about what Rick Steiner had achieved, or didn't, in comparison to Scott Steiner and then forgot to include them. I would agree to a certain extent about Demolition living in the shadow of The Road Warriors but then when you really look at it i would say that Demolition had just as good a career within WWE as The Road Warriors did despite being a blatant rip off.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Perhaps Farooq is currently in the shadow of JBL. Although before APA began Farooq was in NOD having much more success than JBL did in The New Blackjacks but after APA eventually broke it off JBL had the longest title reign in history while Farooq was limited to just "DAMN" segements every once in a great while. So I would say overall Farooq probally hears JBL's name come up in when discussing Wrestling while JBL moved on to bigger and better things so he's somewhat in the shadow of him. Although I do like them both and there's really no shame in being in the shadow of your tag team partner.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,766 Posts
Wait, Savage in the shadow of Hogan?

I have to disagree with that one. Both had pretty stellar careers.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Wait, Savage in the shadow of Hogan?

I have to disagree with that one. Both had pretty stellar careers.
Very true and I agree to an extent. Being in the shadow of somebody means you were always in the same era or always being compared to or put in the same sentence with but not quite as big of a name or as successful career. Christian has had a stellar career so far as well but there's no denying he is\was in the shadow of Edge. As good of a career Randy Savage had, Hulk Hogan was superior in terms of popularity and impact.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,766 Posts
Very true and I agree to an extent. Being in the shadow of somebody means you were always in the same era or always being compared to or put in the same sentence with but not quite as big of a name or as successful career. Christian has had a stellar career so far as well but there's no denying he is\was in the shadow of Edge. As good of a career Randy Savage had, Hulk Hogan was superior in terms of popularity and impact.
When we are talking about Hogan, though, he was bigger than everybody, so that would mean everyone was living in his shadow.

Hogan is a hard one to place, imo. Though he was extremely successful, you have to be pretty darn successful yourself to being wrestling in the 'Hogan era' and still be popular.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
When we are talking about Hogan, though, he was bigger than everybody, so that would mean everyone was living in his shadow.

Hogan is a hard one to place, imo. Though he was extremely successful, you have to be pretty darn successful yourself to being wrestling in the 'Hogan era' and still be popular.
Well not EVERYBODY can be in the guy's shadow because a lot of them didn't even deserve to be in the same sentence. Randy Savage was always attached to Hulk Hogan because how good he was and was probally the number 2 guy behind Hogan in the 80's, Therefore he is in the "shadows" of him. You can't just pick any jobber or something and claim they are in the shadow of Hogan because they actually have to be successful to even be in the same discussion with Hogan. Like you said, Savage had a very successful career and to be compared to or along the same lines of Hogan in the 80's is an accomplishment in itself. You can only make a case for the top names in the business such as Savage, Warrior, Roddy Pipper, or Andre The Giant (80's) being in the shadows of Hogan you can't really say that for just ANYBODY. Not sure if that makes sense or not but I'm sure you are getting at what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
no matter what david flair does he will never get out of the shadow of hi father

kane in undertakers

randy orton in cenas

chavo in eddies and reys

matt in jeffs

maybe someday mason ryans in batistas lol

ted dibiases in his fathers, randys, codys, and maryses
I liked that Maryse mention. Repped.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,766 Posts
Well not EVERYBODY can be in the guy's shadow because a lot of them didn't even deserve to be in the same sentence. Randy Savage was always attached to Hulk Hogan because how good he was and was probally the number 2 guy behind Hogan in the 80's, Therefore he is in the "shadows" of him. You can't just pick any jobber or something and claim they are in the shadow of Hogan because they actually have to be successful to even be in the same discussion with Hogan. Like you said, Savage had a very successful career and to be compared to or along the same lines of Hogan in the 80's is an accomplishment in itself. You can only make a case for the top names in the business such as Savage, Warrior, Roddy Pipper, or Andre The Giant (80's) being in the shadows of Hogan you can't really say that for just ANYBODY. Not sure if that makes sense or not but I'm sure you are getting at what I'm trying to say.

Sorry, I didn't mean the jobbers, I meant all the popular guys of that time. Probably should have clarified that but I was mostly thinking it to myself and forgetting to pass that on in my post, lol.

The whole Hogan thing is funny, anyways. The guy was never good in the ring, just good on the mic and being a hero (and eventually a heel), but he is over like mad. Not saying he doesn't deserve it or anything, just a bit funny how other guys had better mic skills and in ring skill but Hogan still surpasses them.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,027 Posts
Golddust is Codys, serious? How long have you been watching, a year or two?
Goldust in cody rhodes dream get out of here fool.
Look at Goldust's career compared to Cody Rhodes. While Goldust might have had an ok career, it's not spectacluar. His only claim to fame was his gimmick up until 1996/97 when he was actually over. But that's it. The rest of his career has been disappinting and just as bad as Mark Henry's. Don't get me wrong, Goldust is cool and all but his career hasn't gone anywhere further then mid-card jobber or tag team partner and isn't going to go any further by the looks of it. Meanwhile Cody's career looks more promising. He's been doing quite well since he made his debut. Has managed to step out of his father's shadow and create his own persona. As well as that WWE looks to be preparing Cody for a future World Championship reign. If that happens, his career will shit all over Goldust's by comparison. Cody is only going to go upwards from here. Goldust, not so much.

So yes, Goldust is living in Cody's shadow. If not now, then he will eventually.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps Farooq is currently in the shadow of JBL. Although before APA began Farooq was in NOD having much more success than JBL did in The New Blackjacks but after APA eventually broke it off JBL had the longest title reign in history while Farooq was limited to just "DAMN" segements every once in a great while. So I would say overall Farooq probally hears JBL's name come up in when discussing Wrestling while JBL moved on to bigger and better things so he's somewhat in the shadow of him. Although I do like them both and there's really no shame in being in the shadow of your tag team partner.
Originally when i thought about this thread i considered saying Ron Simmons was in the shadow of JBL but in reality it is far from the truth as Ron Simmons is regarded as the first ever black World champion and was also one half of Doom who were one of the best tag teams of their era. In comparison JBL had a long run as WWE champion in 2004 and had a lot of high profile feuds and matches with people like John Cena, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho and Rey Mysterio but then Ron Simmons had worked with many big names as well in both WWE and WCW so i would consider them on equal ground with Ron Simmons probabaly having the bigger and better career if i had to really choose.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts