Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...
I'm not sure if this is normal around here, but over on MMA forum people tend to do little write ups when they attend live events. I was at RAW last night and thought I'd give a breif synapsis of some of the things "the underground" find interesting.

First, I was surprised at the crowd. It was realitively small. I was also at the 1000th episode here in Saint Louis and it was of course sold out, whereas this time, the camera side was very vacated.

The loudest entrance pop of the night was CM Punk, by a landslide. Followed by Bryan and the Rhodes brothers.

The loudest match pop/response was easily Rhodes Vs The Sheild, and Big Show got a huge ovation when he came through the crowd. Bryan and ADR were also getting a great crowd response.

Speaking of Del Rio. Despite getting a lot of flack around here, he easily recieved the loudest BOOs from the crowd... including children that were literally screaming "I hate you"... his heat was double what Stephanie and Hunter got.

All in all, I think Saint Louis was a good crowd. I haven't watched the televised version yet, but it did surprise me to hear how seemingly more involved the crowd was when you're there live.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Rhodes brothers got a pop? Didn't come across that way on TV, sounded like all of two people gave a shit. Good to know that wasn't the case.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,319 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks for the synopsis, I hope you had a great time.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
St. Louis is actually a good city to go to.

I always say the cities with the largest populations, especially the ones with multiple major sports teams, will field the loudest and most raucus crowds.

There are exceptions, but that tends to be the rule it follows. More people go, and the people are used to going to events and being loud, so they're less likely to be reserved.

St. Louis not only has a couple sports teams, but they're also kind of an in between of southerner and fully civilized. So they're casual yet kinda smarky too so they'll pop for everyone.

Chicago is sorta the same way. They cheer for smark favs loudly but also pop the casual guys like Cena to their typical levels while not chanting negative shit like "what?" and "you can't wrestle" all the time. Those are the best kinds of crowds imo.

And it's interesting to hear Del Rio's getting some more heat now. Cena/Del Rio may end up surprisingly good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
St. Louis is actually a good city to go to.

I always say the cities with the largest populations, especially the ones with multiple major sports teams, will field the loudest and most raucus crowds.

There are exceptions, but that tends to be the rule it follows. More people go, and the people are used to going to events and being loud, so they're less likely to be reserved.

St. Louis not only has a couple sports teams, but they're also kind of an in between of southerner and fully civilized. So they're casual yet kinda smarky too so they'll pop for everyone.

Chicago is sorta the same way. They cheer for smark favs loudly but also pop the casual guys like Cena to their typical levels while not chanting negative shit like "what?" and "you can't wrestle" all the time. Those are the best kinds of crowds imo.

And it's interesting to hear Del Rio's getting some more heat now. Cena/Del Rio may end up surprisingly good.
Very good points all around!

And yeah, I was very surprised at the ADR heat... it was impressive. The current "top heal" being Triple H, he and Stephanie still received some cheers mixed in... Del Rio was just a chorus of boo.

I also forgot to mention, The Real Americans didn't get much pop when they entered the arena... but they were very well recieved by the end of the match. Any cheers Tons of Funk were suppose to be getting all went to Swagger and Cesaro and there were a lot of them... and rightfully so. I don't know if it was on TV or not, but Cesaro actually stayed in the ring after the count and spun Tensai.

I all most forgot one of the most improtant things. The night actually ended with a dark match between Bryan and Orton in which Bryan cleanly defeated randy with his running knee.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I noticed that too that CM Punk and the Rhodes vs The Shield got a louder response than St. Louis' very own Randy Orton. It wasn't the same crowd response as he was there the last time. I also saw the vacated seats as well in the camera views but overall like you said, St Louis was a great crowd.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
you mention everyone but the hometown guy orton how was his heat or cheers?
His first entrance was a bit of a mix... but honestly it was underwhelming to say the least. Then he did a good job of switching it all to boos with his "not too bright" dig. His match worked though cause The Miz was actually getting some good pops before the Wyatt interference.

No one cared when he "attacked" Brie or Bryan in the back... at all!

The Saint Louis crowd was clearly a smart one though... cause after the tag match, everyone knew the show was over and they announced the "main event" as Randy Orton Vs. Daniel Bryan... at that point, it was as if the crowd broke character themselves and cheered for Orton... however in mid match he once again grabbed the mic and insulted the crowd creating more boos... it was pretty funny actually.

But to answer your question in general... though there were a decent amount of Orton shirts around... he was far less received than The Shield, the Rhodes, and Punk.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was at the show also, one of the better StL crowds for the most part. The "you got knocked out" chants at Hunter were loud, although it sounded like they were off timed, as one side of the building was a little ahead of the other, lol. By the time the main event started the crowd was pretty quiet, mostly due to just the tedium of Raw being 3 hours I think.

Once that match kicked into high gear though, we were rocking. The noise was much better than they captured on television...YES chants were crazy loud but they didn't come off quite as well due in part to Cole's voice over top of it.

I was hoping the taping would have ended later too, as we really let Hunter have it with the YES chants, which continued for a good while and then transitioned into cheers for team "Rhodust" and "na na na na goodbye" for HHH and company. Overall a fun show to be at with a very hot main event. (Y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts