Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Those are very good questions. I would assume some sort of mental disorder and parental neglect.
I wouldn't blame the parents at all. I attempted suicide many times as a kid (and later in life) and I had as good an upbringing as you could ask for. Unfortunately, some of us just don't feel able to find a place in this world and that's not a pleasant way to live.

Yes, that'd be classed as a mental disorder both medically (though if you really look into it, every bastard has one. Ever feel like you can't be arsed to get out of bed? That's a mental disorder, kids! Because feeling tired or lazy cannot go unclassified!) but I tend to find those who classify it as such are part of the problem - they're usually too stupid to see they don't understand as anything but an illness.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,241 Posts
I'm not usually one to jump to the defense of the police for stuff like this but I'm going to side with them here. I highly doubt that he had a desire to use a taser on the kid. I think he did what he thought was best given the tough situation he was in. And the end result was a good one. The girl is fine.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
One officer took a step toward the child but stopped when she turned the knife toward him.
At that point they could have taken it away.

But the officer made a quick move in order to control the situation, so I think it might have been the best move.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Kid had a knife against her chest
That is basically as 'for her safety' as it can get.
Ehh I'm not so sure about that, without having actually been there nobody can say for sure if they could have gotten the knife away from her before she hurt herself, but I can't imagine the little girl could have actually done much if any damage if a grown man rushed her and snatched the knife away. She probably wouldn't have even have had time to react.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Read the story. It was justified force by the cop.
Parent's are sue happy douche bags which is probably why the girl was trying to stab herself in the first place.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Ehh I'm not so sure about that, without having actually been there nobody can say for sure if they could have gotten the knife away from her before she hurt herself, but I can't imagine the little girl could have actually done much if any damage if a grown man rushed her and snatched the knife away. She probably wouldn't have even have had time to react.

That leaves it to chance. Using the taser reduces that significantly.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
It's pretty messed up that there's a story of a copper using a taser on a child and it was the right thing to do! The kid had a knife to her own chest then threatened the police officer. Granted at that point he may have been able to get it but the officer really couldn't take any chances. He did what he thought would ensure the safety of the child even if it meant hurting her at that moment.

Also, why the hell did a kid have a knife to her chest in the first place? That needs looking into imo.

·
Banned
11 Posts
That little girl brought it on herself. North Dakota is a place full of thugs and criminals. They should have taken her out so that she wouldn't grow up to be another loser.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts

Reading your comment, I see you have never been or seen a life threatening situation like this. Just because someone is a certain age doesn't mean they can't hurt you. Especially with a knife. Next time you see a mentally unstable 8 year old, try to rush her and take the knife. Then come on here and tell us all how it went.... That is if you still have any fingers.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Reading your comment, I see you have never been or seen a life threatening situation like this. Just because someone is a certain age doesn't mean they can't hurt you. Especially with a knife. Next time you see a mentally unstable 8 year old, try to rush her and take the knife. Then come on here and tell us all how it went.... That is if you still have any fingers.
That's why I always laugh when people say "he should have aimed for the legs!" I took a brief law enforcement class and they had a video on time gaps during hostile situations. The window of opportunity is literally just two to three seconds to make a decision in a moment of hostility. Obviously the officer in this situation thought he had to do this and it turned out he was right. Wrestling a knife out of anyone's hand is an asinine suggestion.

·
Listen. No really, LISTEN.
5,535 Posts
And if the cop had used his baton to knock the knife out of the girl's hand, breaking it in the process, we would still be hearing about this lawsuit with people asking why he didn't just tase her, instead of breaking her wrist. This family needs to find out what is wrong with their daughter, instead of looking for a quick cash grab and ignoring the real problem.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,626 Posts
I wouldn't blame the parents at all. I attempted suicide many times as a kid (and later in life) and I had as good an upbringing as you could ask for. Unfortunately, some of us just don't feel able to find a place in this world and that's not a pleasant way to live.
You have zero information about the girl's home life so try not to jump to conclusions based on irrelevant anecdotal evidence from your own life.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
You have zero information about the girl's home life so try not to jump to conclusions based on irrelevant anecdotal evidence from your own life.
Do you have more evidence than I do? Because you made an equally baseless assumption about her home life. So, Mr. Pot, it seems we're both black.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts