Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm surprised Vince didn't think to do it earlier during the Edge/Matt Hardy feud, having the sex celebration with Matt Hardy locked in a shark cage or handcuffed to the ropes forced to watch. Seems like the perfect cold Vince McMahon idea for a TV-14 product.

I laughed harder than i should.

·
Registered
83 Posts
And? That literally doesn't change anything or invalidates how she felt about that situation.
Let alone it's completely different periods of her life and career as already alluded to.
How can you be appalled that your company is asking you to perform in a sexual manner when you were literally hired to perform in that role? I understand these events were 7 years apart and she made quite a name for herself in-between, but sexuality was always at the forefront of women in WWE at that time. Lita was no exception, unless you're saying competing in sexualized matches was purely athletic and wearing a whale tail all that time was just purely for style.

·
Registered
296 Posts
How can you be appalled that your company is asking you to perform in a sexual manner when you were literally hired to perform in that role? I understand these events were 7 years apart and she made quite a name for herself in-between, but sexuality was always at the forefront of women in WWE at that time. Lita was no exception, unless you're saying competing in sexualized matches was purely athletic and wearing a whale tail all that time was just purely for style.
I can most certainly understand how going out there just to look/act sexy and having an actual full on live sex celebration would feel different for her especially, again, considering the particular situation she was involved in at the time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
So at one point Vince would not only green light but encourage softcore p*rn on live tv even in the publicly traded era. Now he's too wrapped up in greenlighting silly Fiend puppet segments that make the product look like a kids show.

·
None. More. Hated.
Tuck Your Chin.
7,855 Posts
She did that one segment where they peaked in on her in the shower and she had nothing on but a tiny g string. I mean, simulating sex under blankets isnt that far off. The shot of her boob was just unfortunate timing.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
4,737 Posts
How could Lita have possibly expected something like the live sex celebration from a company like WWE?

Oh.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
As awful as it was, it made sense with Edge's character and the time it was in. Today, it's disgusting that they would force someone to do that!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Rank the best non-match segments of WWE 2005-2021, and the live sex celebration will land somewhere in the top 10. Vince was right and the talent was wrong. Remember when that was possible?
It has nothing to do with how good the segment was or not. She probably felt humiliated and exploited so I understand her not wanting to do it. Vince forcing her is just fucked.

·
Registered
859 Posts
She did that one segment where they peaked in on her in the shower and she had nothing on but a tiny g string. I mean, simulating sex under blankets isnt that far off. The shot of her boob was just unfortunate timing.
Different female celebrities that portray themselves sexually have different limits on what they want to do publicly. Just because someone's fine being photographed in skimpy outfits doesn't mean they're fine simulating a sex act.

·
4,737 Posts
It has nothing to do with how good the segment was or not. She probably felt humiliated and exploited so I understand her not wanting to do it. Vince forcing her is just fucked.
Meh, you can spend your time feeling sorry for her collecting a huge paycheck on TV and playing a character that did something that made her uncomfortable if you'd like. I won't be clutching any pearls over it.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Meh, you can spend your time feeling sorry for her collecting a huge paycheck on TV and playing a character that did something that made her uncomfortable if you'd like. I won't be clutching any pearls over it.
Money isn't everything man. Sure she got paid to do it, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they threatened to fire her if she didn't. That makes it even worse because then it's feels like prostitution. Forced prostitution.

Reactions: LilacLotus

·
4,737 Posts
Money isn't everything man. Sure she got paid to do it, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they threatened to fire her if she didn't. That makes it even worse because then it's feels like prostitution. Forced prostitution.
Forced prostitution? How melodramatic. If they'd ACTUALLY had sex, that's a different story, but this was playing a character without any intended nudity pretending to have sex for a few moments. WWE can do whatever they want with their performers as long as they don't break FCC rules. If the performers don't like it, they can go elsewhere. That's true for ANY television performers except those who have specific clauses in their contracts addressing such a situation, which I can guarantee Lita didn't. Not shedding any tears for her.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Forced prostitution? How melodramatic. If they'd ACTUALLY had sex, that's a different story, but this was playing a character without any intended nudity pretending to have sex for a few moments. WWE can do whatever they want with their performers as long as they don't break FCC rules. If the performers don't like it, they can go elsewhere. That's true for ANY television performers except those who have specific clauses in their contracts addressing such a situation, which I can guarantee Lita didn't. Not shedding any tears for her.
And in there lies the problem. WWE cannot do whatever they want with the performers. They aren't puppets. "If they don't like it they can go elsewhere" it's not that simple. It's people's livelihood you are talking about. Telling someone you are fired unless you humiliate yourself and pretend to have sex with someone on live TV is straight up unethical. If she says no she basically loses her career and her livelihood but she "can go elsewhere." And take a huge pay cut, lose your dream job and get humiliated on the way out. "Not shedding any tears for her," that's fine no one asked you to but that is just a reflection of your lack of empathy. If you can't empathize for someone who was forced to commit sexual acts on a live TV show, fake or not, then I that's on you. And yes it can be seen as forced prostitution. Prostitution doesn't only apply to penetration. Sexual activity is a number of things. WWE isn't portrayed as a TV show, it is presented as real and you are supposed to believe what you see.

Let me paint a scenario for you. Let's say you were a wrestler, and Vince told you, that you had to pretend to suck someones dick backstage in a segment or else you were fired, would that be ok with you?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Well, it got the ratings. Granted it was just a bunch of honey desperate dudes hoping to see a nipple, but it got the desired results. I've never considered it a great segment regardless of the viewership. I feel the same way about the segment now that I felt then, it was boring.

The fact Lita was threatened with her release for not wanting to do the segment makes it worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Vince actually wanted her to be naked, which anyone would be uncomfortable with.

The treatment of Lita during that time was disgusting. One of the best and the most popular woman WWE had, but she's treated like garbage by the WWE and the fans because she cheated on Matt. Meanwhile, those same fans were championing Edge for being ever to nail Lita.

·
None. More. Hated.
Tuck Your Chin.
7,855 Posts
Different female celebrities that portray themselves sexually have different limits on what they want to do publicly. Just because someone's fine being photographed in skimpy outfits doesn't mean they're fine simulating a sex act.
Off the top of my head that year she took her top off in front of Matt Hardy, showing about everything but her nipples and telling him hed never get to touch them again, and took her top off and sat on Big Shows lap while Edge basically pimped her out.

It wasnt a huge stretch is all Im saying.

·
4,737 Posts
And in there lies the problem. WWE cannot do whatever they want with the performers. They aren't puppets. "If they don't like it they can go elsewhere" it's not that simple. It's people's livelihood you are talking about. Telling someone you are fired unless you humiliate yourself and pretend to have sex with someone on live TV is straight up unethical. If she says no she basically loses her career and her livelihood but she "can go elsewhere." "Not shedding any tears for her," that's fine no one asked you too but that is just a reflection of your lack of empathy. If you can't empathize for someone who was forced to commit sexual acts on a live TV show, fake or not, then I that's on you.

Let me paint a scenario for you. Let's say you were a wrestler, and Vince told you, that you had to pretend to suck someones dick backstage in a segment or else you were fired, would that be ok with you?
Dude...this isn't about empathy or even ethics. This is about show business. Characters on all kinds of shows do all sorts of things that the actor/actress wouldn't do in real life and wouldn't be proud of, but it doesn't matter because it's FICTION. FICTION. What about all the characters in TV history that are murderers, rapists, drug dealers, wife beaters, etc. Why is that any different? The script calls for them to do something terrible, the actor does it, and we all move on with our lives. If the actor doesn't want to perform whatever act and can't come to an agreement with the director and/or the production company, they part ways. Why is this different?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Dude...this isn't about empathy or even ethics. This is about show business. Characters on all kinds of shows do all sorts of things that the actor/actress wouldn't do in real life and wouldn't be proud of, but it doesn't matter because it's FICTION. FICTION. What about all the characters in TV history that are murderers, rapists, drug dealers, wife beaters, etc. Why is that any different? The script calls for them to do something terrible, the actor does it, and we all move on with our lives. If the actor doesn't want to perform whatever act and can't come to an agreement with the director and/or the production company, they part ways. Why is this different?
Answer the question then would you pretend to suck a dick if you worked for the WWE and Vince said you had to?

Reactions: QuietInRealLife

·
Aggressively White
6,269 Posts
I'm surprised Vince didn't think to do it earlier during the Edge/Matt Hardy feud, having the sex celebration with Matt Hardy locked in a shark cage or handcuffed to the ropes forced to watch. Seems like the perfect cold Vince McMahon idea for a TV-14 product.
Forget cold Vince McMahon, this is Chris Kreski on speed tier gold

·
4,737 Posts
Answer the question then would you pretend to suck a dick if you worked for the WWE and Vince said you had to?
Sure, why not, as long as I'm not actually doing it? That's the character, not me, and I'm secure in my manhood. Why do I care? Maybe the problem is that I've actually done some acting. I can assume you haven't. I once played a contract killer. I didn't even blink when they told me to rub a gun on a chick's forehead. Who cares? Now, you answer my questions about how this is different from Hollywood fiction in general.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts