Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On her Twitch stream last night, Lita revealed that she didn't want to do the Live Sex Celebration segment with Edge in 2006, but was threatened that she would be fired if she didn't do it.
A lot of guys including Edge & John Cena tried to stop it, but WWE went ahead with it because Vince McMahon liked it. This is why Lita left the company afterwards, and was buried on her way out because she was uncomfortable doing it.

Wow, even Cena couldn't stop it but I think saying this now can maybe effect her future appearances with the company

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rank the best non-match segments of WWE 2005-2021, and the live sex celebration will land somewhere in the top 10. Vince was right and the talent was wrong. Remember when that was possible?
The reason she didn't want to do it (and Edge/Cena were backing her) likely had to do with the fact she wasn't comfortable being a part of it rather than them believing it wouldn't be a popular/memorable segment though...?
I'm sure everyone's aware something like that would get people talking, but if Lita didn't want to do it she shouldn't have been forced to take part in it or lose her job.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
4,707 Posts
The reason she didn't want to do it (and Edge/Cena were backing her) likely had to do with the fact she wasn't comfortable being a part of it rather than them believing it wouldn't be a popular/memorable segment though...?
I'm sure everyone's aware something like that would get people talking, but if Lita didn't want to do it she shouldn't have been forced to take part in it or lose her job.
Wait...why not? She's effectively an actress on the set of a TV show. If the producers tell you to do "X" and you refuse, you get fired from the show. Are you not aware of how show business works? Is this really that complicated?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I'm surprised Vince didn't think to do it earlier during the Edge/Matt Hardy feud, having the sex celebration with Matt Hardy locked in a shark cage or handcuffed to the ropes forced to watch. Seems like the perfect cold Vince McMahon idea for a TV-14 product.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wait...why not? She's effectively an actress on the set of a TV show. If the producers tell you to do "X" and you refuse, you get fired from the show. Are you not aware of how show business works? Is this really that complicated?
Which is why she still did it, don't be dense. However I'm pretty sure when she signed up with the company she didn't specifically have skimpy live sex celebrations in mind as part of her contract either so I understand why she might have been hesitant and distressed over it. And why her boss should've taken that into consideration instead of threatening with her job altogether.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think actor/actress have "some" room to avoid those situations... they have a manager and/or unions (wrestlers are alone), they can read the script in advantage (wwe script is often decided mere MINUTES before going live), they can have some contracts negotiations... obviously they aren't immune to some last-minute outlandish decision from the director, but at least the "big names" have some more protection (and lita, edge and cena WERE big names in 2006).

Now, my only doubt is: the live sex skit REQUIRED the topless part (and so this clearly looks very, very bad for the wwe) or it was only a "fully dressed" simulated act under the sheet, an edge/lita decided by themself to "go naked" (with the unfortunate incident caught on camera)?

·
Registered
237 Posts
You're not wrong, as such, but I do think it is more complicated. Firstly, while she is an actress, she is an actress who in that scenario was effectively playing herself. Her whole character was based around the relationship she and Edge has legitimately built and the affair they legitimately had. Her heat at the time was legit heat and the crowd's reaction to her was very real. When they hated her, it was not her character they hated, but her actions toward Matt.

And while she may have been an actress on a TV show, the character she originally agreed to play was probably not one who had sex in the ring. As a human being, that situation, even simulated, is fucking terrifying. I think if you sign up for one thing it's ok to reassess where your lines are later on. When she agreed to play the part of Lita I'd bet a hell of a lot of money she never even considered the possibility she might be asked to do what she was asked to do then.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
4,707 Posts
Oh,
Which is why she still did it, don't be dense. However I'm pretty sure when she signed up with the company she didn't specifically have skimpy live sex celebrations in mind as part of her contract either so I understand why she might have been hesitant and distressed over it. And why her boss should've taken that into consideration instead of threatening with her job altogether.
I think actor/actress have "some" room to avoid those situations... they have a manager and/or unions (wrestlers are alone), they can read the script in advantage (wwe script is often decided mere MINUTES before going live), they can have some contracts negotiations... obviously they aren't immune to some last-minute outlandish decision from the director, but at least the "big names" have some more protection (and lita, edge and cena WERE big names in 2006).

Now, my only doubt is: the live sex skit REQUIRED the topless part (and so this clearly looks very, very bad for the wwe) or it was only a "fully dressed" simulated act under the sheet, an edge/lita decided by themself to "go naked" (with the unfortunate incident caught on camera)?
You're not wrong, as such, but I do think it is more complicated. Firstly, while she is an actress, she is an actress who in that scenario was effectively playing herself. Her whole character was based around the relationship she and Edge has legitimately built and the affair they legitimately had. Her heat at the time was legit heat and the crowd's reaction to her was very real. When they hated her, it was not her character they hated, but her actions toward Matt.

And while she may have been an actress on a TV show, the character she originally agreed to play was probably not one who had sex in the ring. As a human being, that situation, even simulated, is fucking terrifying. I think if you sign up for one thing it's ok to reassess where your lines are later on. When she agreed to play the part of Lita I'd bet a hell of a lot of money she never even considered the possibility she might be asked to do what she was asked to do then.
Oh, I agree that WWE performers aren't exactly the same as actors in movies, in large part because they are (or were!) performing in front of live audiences and are working from scripts that are often altered drastically only hours or minutes before performance time. Still in all, I don't feel too bad for her because she wasn't asked to actually expose herself or do anything outside the confines of the show's rating. Like so many professions, if you're not up to the task, you simply need to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
She made her debut as a ho.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
And? That literally doesn't change anything or invalidates how she felt about that situation.
Let alone it's completely different periods of her life and career as already alluded to.
Doesn't surprise me the same company covered up for pedo Patterson, treated Ashley Massaro like crap, etc..

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,469 Posts
Considering she left the company not too long after, she probably should have just outright refused and taken the firing. The fact that they still punished her afterward is pretty low on their part.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts