Wrestling Forum banner

LETTER GRADE these WRESTLERS**

2305 Views 39 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  Jason WWE
On their wrestling(in ring performing) and then also they're promo ability(general mic work)

AJ Styles - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work C-

RVD - Wrestling: A- Mic Work: C-

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: B Mic Work: A

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: B Mic Work: D

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: B+

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: C Mic Work: C+

The POPE - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: A-

ABYSS - Wrestling B- Mic Work: A- (lets face it dude can cut an intense promo)

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: C-

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B

Robert Roode - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: B+

James Storm - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: A (think his promo abilities are very underrated)

*This is just a few of the wrestlers I found the most interesting to get the opinions of other posters on the board, feel free to add more of the roster to your list if you'd like to grade them.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
481 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C-

RVD - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: D+

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: A

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: A-

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: C+

The POPE - Wrestling: C Mic Work: B+

ABYSS - Wrestling F Mic Work: B

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: B+ (previous work was way better) Mic Work: C

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: B-

Robert Roode - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B+

James Storm - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: A-

· Registered
2,059 Posts
RVD - Wrestling: C Mic Work: F
-Should be shown the door. At this point his athleticsm is pretty much shot, he gets blown up minutes into a match, and he has neither mic skills nor ring pyschology to his credit. The guy is a waste of time at this point.

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B (as heel)
-No problems with this guy as a heel. He plays his part very well and does what needs to be done to have people want to see other guys kick his teeth in. I like him in TNA alot.

-Simply the best in the business even at 41 since his only competitors, HBK & Jericho, are both gone.

-Love the guy, ooozes charisma, has superstar talent, the only guy in the "youth" movement that has the ability to carry TNA to greener pastures. With that said, he needs a much better finisher. People call the People's Elbow The Rocks finisher but his finisher was really The Rock Bottom. Hogan got away with a lame finisher but those days are gone. Pope needs to perfect the DDT ala Jake The Snake and make that his finisher, it would work well for him, utilize his quickness, and he can apply it to any size wrestler which is important when you are talking about a guy as small as Dinero.

ABYSS - Wrestling D Mic Work: F
-Absolute garbage, indy level wrestler. Should be cut immediately and never seen again on television.

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: B-
-Kinda underrated on the mic IMO, Joe always gets his point across and is believable in his delivery. This is a guy TNA should push to the top.

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: D+ Mic Work: C-
-Despite the low grades, I see potential in Morgan as a main eventer. His look needs to be completely repackaged, he needs to begin dressing like a Kevin Nash and looking like an actual big man. Needs to lose the Mountain Man goatee and go with the look he had in the 'E. But he has potential, he can work the mic no doubt but he comes off as lame and cheesy. He smiles at the wrong time, laughs at the wrong time, he just does stuff that a 6' 250 lb wrestler would do and that doesnt work for a 6'8" 300 lb guy that should be menacing, not trying to be charismatic and funny.

Robert Roode - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: B+
-One of TNAs hidden gems, this guy should be a main eventer and the central figure of Fortune when they turn heel on AJ Styles at Lockdown. Love this guy, absolutely should be pushed to the moon and back.

James Storm - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: N/A
-I just havent seen enough mic work from Storm to know if he is just good at delivering key phrases or if he can actually carry a feud on the mic. Not sure if this guy doesnt get lost as a singles competitor but he should always be a regular in the tag division whether it is with Robert Roode or if they ever reunite AMW and he is back with Chris Harris.

· Registered
9,930 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: A Mic Work: B

RVD - Wrestling: B Mic Work: D

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C+

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A Mic Work: A

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: B+

The Pope - Wrestling: C Mic Work: B

Abyss - Wrestling: C- Mic Work: B

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: C Mic Work: C

Robert Roode - Wrestling: A Mic Work: B+

James Storm - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: B+

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
AJ Styles - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C-

RVD - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: D+

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: A-

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: C+

The POPE - Wrestling: C Mic Work: B+

ABYSS - Wrestling F Mic Work: B

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: B+ (previous work was way better) Mic Work: C

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: B-

James Storm - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: A-
Dang that was a little harsh, especially on Abyss. I think he moves great for a big man, and is not shy to do high spots or take big bumps. But of course you're entitled to your opinion!

Surprised by a lot of these posters grades actually. Ever since I've been on this forum I've been highly critical of most of TNAs moves, but I guess I was being generous in grading.

But I haven't watched TNA religiously like I used to for about 2 or 3 months so maybe things have gotten worse.

· Registered
840 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: B-

RVD - Wrestling: B Mic Work: D

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: C- Mic Work: B+

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C+

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A Mic Work: B+

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: C Mic Work: B

The Pope - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: A+

Abyss - Wrestling: D Mic Work: C+

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C+

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: C Mic Work: B-

Robert Roode - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C

James Storm - Wrestling: D+ Mic Work: B-

· Banned
10,885 Posts
Can't be bothered to add any more but I rated the ones that you did:

AJ Styles - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work B+

RVD - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: B

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: A

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: C- Mic Work: D

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: A+

The POPE - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: B+

ABYSS - Wrestling D- Mic Work: B

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: B

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: C Mic Work: B

Robert Roode - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: A+ (it doesn't get any better than RR)

James Storm - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: C

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RVD - Wrestling: C Mic Work: F
-Should be shown the door. At this point his athleticsm is pretty much shot, he gets blown up minutes into a match, and he has neither mic skills nor ring pyschology to his credit. The guy is a waste of time at this point.
I think you've being extremely hard on Rob, but I guess his style is not for everybody. I don't think his mic work is F bad, I just don't think he's given a chance to speak, or even given any good material. Basically TNA tries their best to pass him off as just a top wrestler.
Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B (as heel)
-No problems with this guy as a heel. He plays his part very well and does what needs to be done to have people want to see other guys kick his teeth in. I like him in TNA alot.
I think you are spot on here, no arguments, his mic work has been much improved as heel. But then again it is much easier to be a heel than a face in this business, so that should be taken into consideration. Especially in this day and age.

-Simply the best in the business even at 41 since his only competitors, HBK & Jericho, are both gone.
No arguments, Kurt Angle is a total package and an all time great in this business.

-Love the guy, ooozes charisma, has superstar talent, the only guy in the "youth" movement that has the ability to carry TNA to greener pastures. With that said, he needs a much better finisher. People call the People's Elbow The Rocks finisher but his finisher was really The Rock Bottom. Hogan got away with a lame finisher but those days are gone. Pope needs to perfect the DDT ala Jake The Snake and make that his finisher, it would work well for him, utilize his quickness, and he can apply it to any size wrestler which is important when you are talking about a guy as small as Dinero.
No argument, and I especially loved your point about the finisher. The DDE is not a main event caliber finisher. It's actually kind of lame. I personally think he should just steel Christian's "Unprettier" and call it something else.
ABYSS - Wrestling D Mic Work: F
-Absolute garbage, indy level wrestler. Should be cut immediately and never seen again on television.
Couldn't disagree more, especially about the mic work. I'm a big Abyss fan and for a good reason. Not trying to be offensive but I just don't think you appreciate his talent.
Samoa Joe - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: B-
-Kinda underrated on the mic IMO, Joe always gets his point across and is believable in his delivery. This is a guy TNA should push to the top.
Wrestling all good, Mic work needs work, I don't know how you can say Abyss is an F on the mic and Joe is a B-. I think you're letting some favoritism cloud your judgement. But I agree as I have always agreed Samoa Joe should be a constant in the main event and upper echelon. TNA has dropped the ball on him for YEARS now.

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: D+ Mic Work: C-
-Despite the low grades, I see potential in Morgan as a main eventer. His look needs to be completely repackaged, he needs to begin dressing like a Kevin Nash and looking like an actual big man. Needs to lose the Mountain Man goatee and go with the look he had in the 'E. But he has potential, he can work the mic no doubt but he comes off as lame and cheesy. He smiles at the wrong time, laughs at the wrong time, he just does stuff that a 6' 250 lb wrestler would do and that doesnt work for a 6'8" 300 lb guy that should be menacing, not trying to be charismatic and funny.
Can't disgaree that Morgan's "gimmick" doesn't fit his body type. But he has potential to be a great mic worker given the proper gimmick, and for a big man he is wrong in the ring. I think you tend to forget that smaller guys movie better in the ring, and when you got near 7 footers, you should take it into consideration. Size coupled with Body of work. Big guys are there to be big and menacing power houses like you said, they aren't typically the premier athletes however.

Robert Roode - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: B+
-One of TNAs hidden gems, this guy should be a main eventer and the central figure of Fortune when they turn heel on AJ Styles at Lockdown. Love this guy, absolutely should be pushed to the moon and back.
I love Roode, one of my favorites, he needs to be pushed to the TOP. It pays (or at least it should) to be Roode.

James Storm - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: N/A
-I just havent seen enough mic work from Storm to know if he is just good at delivering key phrases or if he can actually carry a feud on the mic. Not sure if this guy doesnt get lost as a singles competitor but he should always be a regular in the tag division whether it is with Robert Roode or if they ever reunite AMW and he is back with Chris Harris.
James is a carbon copy of Roode, similar in ring styles, but Storm is typically the cynical drunk on the mic, which to be is pretty funny. He's like Steve Austin in reverse, the laid back drunk that will still kick your ass. I have no problem with his gimmick, other than that they should try to make his character a little more serious, while still valuing his cynical and arrogant drunken demeanor.

· Registered
44 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: B+

RVD - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: D

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: A Mic Work: A+

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: C-

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A Mic Work: A-

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: B+

The Pope - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: B+

Abyss - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: B+

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: A++ Mic Work: B+

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: C+

James Storm - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B+

· Registered
12,862 Posts
Out of those.....

AJ Styles-Wrestling:A-/Mic Work:B

RVD-Wrestling:B-/Mic Work:C+

Ken Anderson-Wrestling:B-/Mic Work:A+

Jeff Hardy-Wrestling:B/Mic Work:D

Kurt Angle-Wrestling:A+/Mic Work:A-

Jeff Jarrett-Wrestling:C+/Mic Work:B

The POPE-Wrestling:C+/Mic Work:A-

ABYSS-Wrestling:C-/Mic Work:B+

Samoa Joe-Wrestling:A+/Mic Work:B

Matt Morgan-Wrestling:C+/Mic Work:B

Robert Roode-Wrestling:B+/Mic Work:B+

James Storm-Wrestling:B+/Mic Work:A

· Registered
2,059 Posts
Im very intrigued by James Storm, dont get me wrong. I love the guy but I just wonder in the back of my head if the reason I love him is because he hasnt been shoved down my throat.

And I guess we will disagree on Abyss. Everyone talks about Hogan, Bischoff, & Vince Russo being the top 3 guys they would get rid of but if I had my way the top 3 guys gone from TNA would be Abyss, RVD, and Orlando Jordan.

We will just have to agree to disagree about RVD and Abyss, I think we agree on everything else. I like Matt Morgan and I think he has great potential on the mic but I really dont like his current persona.

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Im very intrigued by James Storm, dont get me wrong. I love the guy but I just wonder in the back of my head if the reason I love him is because he hasnt been shoved down my throat.

And I guess we will disagree on Abyss. Everyone talks about Hogan, Bischoff, & Vince Russo being the top 3 guys they would get rid of but if I had my way the top 3 guys gone from TNA would be Abyss, RVD, and Orlando Jordan.

We will just have to agree to disagree about RVD and Abyss, I think we agree on everything else. I like Matt Morgan and I think he has great potential on the mic but I really dont like his current persona.
That's fine, I used to take disagreements too seriously on this board. Since I started watching again, casually, I've come to to realize it's just pro wrestling, at this point and everybody has different ideas of what they'd like to see.

That said... suicide sucks. and that jersey shore character, don't even get me started. that might be worse than "Killer spelled Backwards" Rellik.

· Registered
136 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work B+
Syles is one of the best Wrestlers in TNA hands Down and his mic work is pretty good too

RVD - Wrestling: A Mic Work: B-
i will say this RVD has lost a step or 2 in ECW days he was the best and he still one of the best in the industry he can beat u with kicks or from the top rope his mic work is alright

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: A+
Anderson is a decent wrestler but his magic is his Mic Work i would say he is one the best on the mic in TNA

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: D-
Hardy is no doubt a good wrestler but great no he def. has loss alot in the last 2 or 3 years as of wrestling skills and his mic work is not very good he might have good Promo here and there but the whole anti-christ thing i don't know just isn't working

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: A-
Pure Wrestling Kurt is Hands Down the best in all of wrestling and his mic work is awsome too

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: D Mic Work: D-
Jarrett i never thought he was great wrestler to me he sucked in WWE he sucked in WCW and TNA his wrestling skills suck and on the mic he isn't much better

The POPE - Wrestling: C Mic Work: A
he has some moves but not enough to make him great wrestler but i will say he can cut a promo

ABYSS - Wrestling C- Mic Work: C-
it hard for a big man to be a great Wrestler and his mic work is alright but not great but he would take the crown for most intense promo's though

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: B Mic Work: D
he is good wrestler has alot of moves and can move for bigger man and his mic work need help alot

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C
morgan is good wrestler for his size and mic work has gotten better in the last year

Robert Roode - Wrestling: C Mic Work: C
Roode is alright ring proformer and alright on the mic

James Storm - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: B-
i see storm alittle better then roode in the ring and alittle better on the mic

· Registered
1,188 Posts
Can't be bothered to add any more but I rated the ones that you did:

AJ Styles - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work B+ - It's a shame wrestling is limited to A+.

RVD - Wrestling:C Mic Work:B - Way past his prime.

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: A+ - Funniest guy in pro-wrestling (until Rocky came back)

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling:B+ Mic Work: C - Underrated in-ring skill.

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: B+ - His mic skills during the Jerrett story line have taken a plunge. Still near perfect in ring.

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: D Mic Work: C - Decent on the mic, that's all I got to say about that.

The POPE - Wrestling: C Mic Work: A - Has the mic skills to be a future star.

ABYSS - Wrestling D Mic Work: D -Not a fan. He use to be better though.

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: D - Ask me this 3 years and you would get a totally different answer. He's really not as good nowadays.

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: D Mic Work: B+ - He's limited in the ring but good on the stick.

Robert Roode - Wrestling:B Mic Work: B+ - I don't buy into a lot of the hype, but I admit he is solid.

James Storm - Wrestling: B Mic Work: A - Sorry 'bout your daym luck = best catch phrase ever

· Phantom Thief
21,490 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: A Mic Work B+

RVD - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: C+

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: C- Mic Work: C+

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: F Mic Work: D

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: A

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: B Mic Work: A

The POPE - Wrestling: C Mic Work: B

ABYSS - Wrestling C- Mic Work: B

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: A- Mic Work: A-

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B+

Robert Roode - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B

James Storm - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: C+

· Registered
1,408 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work B

RVD - Wrestling:B Mic Work: C

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: B Mic Work: A

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B as a heel, D as a face

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work: A

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: A Mic Work: A

The POPE - Wrestling: A Mic Work: A

ABYSS - Wrestling C Mic Work: C

Robert Roode - Wrestling:A Mic Work: A(given a chance)

James Storm - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: A

· Registered
10 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: A+ Mic Work C-

RVD - Wrestling: A Mic Work: C-

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: B Mic Work: A-

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B- (heel)

Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C+

ABYSS - Wrestling C Mic Work: C+

Robert Roode - Wrestling: B- Mic Work: B+

James Storm - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: B-

· Registered
1,352 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: C
RVD - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: D
Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: C Mic Work: D-
Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A Mic Work: A-
Jeff Jarrett - Wrestling: C- Mic Work: C
The POPE - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: C
ABYSS - Wrestling F Mic Work: D-
Samoa Joe - Wrestling: B+ Mic Work: C+
Matt Morgan - Wrestling: C+ Mic Work: B
Robert Roode - Wrestling: A Mic Work: B
James Storm - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B+

· Premium Member
28,183 Posts
AJ Styles - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C

RVD - Wrestling: D Mic Work: D

Ken Anderson - Wrestling: C Mic Work: B

Jeff Hardy - Wrestling: C Mic Work: D

Kurt Angle - Wrestling: A Mic Work: B

The Pope - Wrestling: C Mic Work: B

Abyss - Wrestling: F Mic Work: D

Samoa Joe - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C

Matt Morgan - Wrestling: C Mic Work: C

Robert Roode - Wrestling: B Mic Work: C

James Storm - Wrestling: B Mic Work: B

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.