Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 5003 Posts

·
E:16
6,195 Posts
Here is the difference between people on the left and being "triggered' and people on the right being "triggered".

People on the left you make fun of them for being triggered for real issues like equal rights minorities, LBGT rights, me-too movement etc whereas the things that trigger people on the right are coffee cups not saying merry xmas, when people say happy holidays to them, when gays want to get married, when people use their free speech to kneel during the national anthem.
Honestly, I don't see why we need the National Anthem before games anyway. I don't know what purpose it is supposed to serve. If I were to watch a ball game I want to watch the game. The Anthem has nothing to do with it.

I never stood for the flag even when I was in Elementary school. I didn't sit as a form of protest or to draw attention to myself. I just didn't understand why we needed to do it every school morning.

I'm not a religious person and so the Happy Holidays thing doesn't bother me. I only get annoyed if one mocks one religion while being extremely protective of another. And as for marriage, I'm for government getting out of it. I don't care how many people get married to who as long as everyone is legal aged and in agreement over the arrangement.
The obscene overuse of patriotism in America is creepy. Americans in my experience have an innate ability to overdo everything. Sometimes this is to their benefit other times not.

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts
Re: Let's Talk About Politics! The Official Political Discussion Thread

Most people who have full time 40 hour per week M-F jobs have some form of vacation/sick time they can take.

Most companies start you at 5 sick days a year, getting an ID is a priority.

You also probably needed an ID when you started the job, so if you are working you should at least have one anyway.

I am interested if your state is like mine, where you can go online and actually order an ID, and have it mailed to you.

I agree 100%, especially considering that most people at our DMV here seem to think work is voluntary.

It is infuriating seeing people stand behind a desk and do nothing, while you are trying to get in and get out.

Good idea.
No, you can't order online in my state ASFAIK.

That part about 40 hour jobs etc., a decent amount of the poor work at jobs that will only give them part time shifts to avoid paying benefits. So, they schedule them for 39 hours a week. Some will work two or more of these "part time" jobs to make up the difference in income. Also, those same jobs give you no paid time off i.e. sick leave/vacation. It's either miss a day's pay and get your I.D. or just forget it and that's if your boss doesn't get pissed at you for taking an unpaid day off.

·
Training to be a Grappler
2,338 Posts

No, you can't order online in my state ASFAIK.
I would definitely double check that.

Here in MD, if you have an ID, you can renew it, and then have them ship you the ID to your home, so you do't even have to take time off work or anything like that.

If you lose your ID though, it is a pain in the ass.

That part about 40 hour jobs etc., a decent amount of the poor work at jobs that will only give them part time shifts to avoid paying benefits. So, they schedule them for 39 hours a week. Some will work two or more of these "part time" jobs to make up the difference in income. Also, those same jobs give you no paid time off i.e. sick leave/vacation. It's either miss a day's pay and get your I.D. or just forget it and that's if your boss doesn't get pissed at you for taking an unpaid day off.
Ok, you are making A LOT of assumptions and excuses in this scenario, so i will break it down how I see it, and you tell me where i may be wrong.

You said your DMV is open Tuesday-Friday between 8-6.

And that you live about an hour away, so lets say a person works at a job part time (poor people can get full time jobs, but i digress)

Well a part time job is classified as less than 32 hours a week, so lets say it is between those days Tuesday-Friday 8-5 (thats the only way it would work in the scenario, because any other day they would have a day off)

Well, most jobs (once again for tax purposes) require you to have an ID to even be employed there, so renewal should be an option as you wouldn't have to take off work for that.

But even saying that your state is the one that doesn't have a renewal, or the person loses their ID for the day, what is the harm of going to your boss and saying "Hey I need a half day off work tomorrow, I lost my ID and need to get a new one"

The Social Security office would probably be open on Monday, which would be your day off, you wait to get your Social Security card in the mail, and then, you take a half day off work to go get your ID.

If you are "the poor"(that is so demeaning how you guys are saying it) I am sure that you being able to have your ID is a priority that you can take 4 hours off work to go get it done, or even 8.

I am currently in management, I don't know any manager that would be able to keep employees if he is flipping out at someone because they need to take time off to go get their ID.

Lastly, the person could probably make up the day on Monday, since most businesses are open 5-7 days a week.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

A vast majority of states have a law that gives you an hour or more to go vote during work. If you're working or on disability/welfare you need to provide ID anyway. There is literally no reason not to need an ID to vote.

·
The Blue Meanie
15,838 Posts

President Trump has accepted Nikki Haley's resignation as UN Ambassador, according to two sources briefed on their conversation. The timing of her departure is still unclear.

What we're hearing: Haley discussed her resignation with Trump last week when she visited him at the White House, these sources said. Her news shocked a number of senior foreign policy officials in the Trump administration.

Background: Haley, the former governor of South Carolina, was easily confirmed four days after President Trump's inauguration in 2017.

She has overseen Trump's shift in dealing with the UN, including the U.S. exit from the UN Human Rights Council, which Haley called the organization's "greatest failure."

Worth noting: Haley wrote a public op-ed in September challenging the N.Y. Times' anonymous op-ed:

"I don’t agree with the president on everything. When there is disagreement, there is a right way and a wrong way to address it. I pick up the phone and call him or meet with him in person."

"Like my colleagues in the Cabinet and on the National Security Council, I have very open access to the president. He does not shut out his advisers, and he does not demand that everyone agree with him. I can talk to him most any time, and I frequently do."

"If I disagree with something and believe it is important enough to raise with the president, I do it. And he listens."

·
2,338 Posts

A vast majority of states have a law that gives you an hour or more to go vote during work. If you're working or on disability/welfare you need to provide ID anyway. There is literally no reason not to need an ID to vote.
I may have read this wrong when i did research

But in MD, you do not need ID for things like subsidy.

Not sure why, because that should be the case as well, even though I do not agree with drug testing people on assistance.

·
From parts unknown
22,904 Posts

Why am I not surprised.

She was all for not continuing to waste 100's of billions of US dollars on the corrupt shitfest that is the UN fpalm

There are too many people dependent on US taxpayers ALL OVER the world.

This shit fuckery needs to end. The US needs to stop all wars and therefore stop bribing the other governments to let them wage wars in their countries.

It's a motherfucking win-win.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
My guess for Nikki quitting is that Nikki is running for Lindsey Graham's South Carolina Senate seat in 2020. She was the Governor of South Carolina. The rumor is that Jeff Sessions is getting fired and Lindsey Graham is taking his spot as AG. If that happens, she wants that seat.

·
From parts unknown
22,904 Posts

It still bothers me that over the last year there is a constant stream of neocons into Trump's administration.

NTY - take it for what its worth - is suggesting that there may have been friction between Bolton and Haley over who gets to take the driving seat in UN policy and Bolton may have been overstepping his boundaries in the recent spat over Iran and sanctions on it.

·
2,338 Posts

My guess for Nikki quitting is that Nikki is running for Lindsey Graham's South Carolina Senate seat in 2020. She was the Governor of South Carolina. The rumor is that Jeff Sessions is getting fired and Lindsey Graham is taking his spot as AG. If that happens, she wants that seat.
It would explain where Lindsey graham found his balls.

They were just hiding underneath the AG application.

Convenient.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts

Single men can't date anymore due to the current climate of false sexual accusations by radical feminists with an axe to grind.

- Vic

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts

Here in MD, if you have an ID, you can renew it, and then have them ship you the ID to your home, so you do't even have to take time off work or anything like that.

Ok, you are making A LOT of assumptions and excuses in this scenario, so i will break it down how I see it, and you tell me where i may be wrong.

And that you live about an hour away, so lets say a person works at a job part time (poor people can get full time jobs, but i digress)

Well a part time job is classified as less than 32 hours a week, so lets say it is between those days Tuesday-Friday 8-5 (thats the only way it would work in the scenario, because any other day they would have a day off)

Well, most jobs (once again for tax purposes) require you to have an ID to even be employed there, so renewal should be an option as you wouldn't have to take off work for that.

But even saying that your state is the one that doesn't have a renewal, or the person loses their ID for the day, what is the harm of going to your boss and saying "Hey I need a half day off work tomorrow, I lost my ID and need to get a new one"

The Social Security office would probably be open on Monday, which would be your day off, you wait to get your Social Security card in the mail, and then, you take a half day off work to go get your ID.

If you are "the poor"(that is so demeaning how you guys are saying it) I am sure that you being able to have your ID is a priority that you can take 4 hours off work to go get it done, or even 8.

I am currently in management, I don't know any manager that would be able to keep employees if he is flipping out at someone because they need to take time off to go get their ID.

Lastly, the person could probably make up the day on Monday, since most businesses are open 5-7 days a week.
I double checked and yes you have to apply for ID in person here in Georgia, you cannot do it online.

Look I'm giving anecdotal evidence from my life and the lives of people I know. Some of them are in the situations I posted about. Can't take time off. Their schedule just doesn't fit it. Their bosses are complete dicks that will not bend on anything. And at least a couple of them did not need to show picture ID to get their jobs, not sure how legal that was. Then there are the elderly that don't have jobs or drive and don't really need ID on a day to day basis. Now absolutely that doesn't describe everyone, but it does describe some which is why I said in my first post that if ID is necessary then make it easy, quick, and free to do. I'm not against voter ID as long as that criteria is satisfied though considering how low in person voter fraud is I don't really see the need for it. Personally with my state I just wish they'd secure the voting machines better. They're using old software, full of holes, with no paper trail.

And I'm not using poor in a demeaning way. That describes a lot of the people I know and myself sometimes. Economically disadvantaged or however you want to say it means that your life is more complicated in some ways than those higher up on the food chain.

EDIT: Also, here in my state anything under 40 hours per week is classified as part time.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

LOL

People are giving you examples of what they had to go through and you are the one making excuses.

Its not easy to an get ID, you could jjust you know google it, and see even more examples of how difficult it is.

I think its funny you still cant show why we should need an ID to vote

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

Oh look GOP allowed to suppress more voters

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/10/supreme-court-makes-it-harder-for-tribal-north-dakotans-to-vote/

Supreme Court Makes It Harder for Tribal North Dakotans to Vote

The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld a lower-court order requiring voters in North Dakota to present certain forms of identification and proof of their residential address in order to cast a ballot in next month’s elections. A case challenging this requirement on behalf of the state’s sizable Native American populations alleged that the requirement would disenfranchise tribal residents, many of whom lack the proper identification and do not have residential addresses on their identification cards.

The Supreme Court’s order will likely make it harder for Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, considered the most vulnerable Democrat in the Senate, to retain her seat in November. Heitkamp won her seat by less than 3,000 votes in 2012 with strong backing from Native Americans, and she is the only statewide elected Democrat. North Dakota Republicans began changing voting rules to make it harder to cast a ballot months after Heitkamp’s victory six years ago. Republicans have claimed the changes to voter ID requirements are intended to stop voter fraud, even though in-person fraud is exceedingly rare.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who was sworn in on Monday, did not partake in the decision, and Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Elena Kagan dissented.

North Dakota’s 2017 voter law ID was challenged by Native residents who alleged that the law disproportionately blocked Native Americans from voting. In April, a federal district court judge blocked large portions of the law as discriminatory against Native voters. “The State has acknowledged that Native American communities often lack residential street addresses,” Judge Daniel Hovland wrote. “Nevertheless, under current State law an individual who does not have a ‘current residential street address’ will never be qualified to vote.” According to the website of the Native American Rights Fund, which represents the plaintiffs, many native residents lack residential street addresses because “the U.S. postal service does not provide residential delivery in these rural Indian communities.”As a result, tribal IDs use P.O. boxes, which are not sufficient under North Dakota’s new law—a specification that seems designed to disenfranchise native voters. Hovland’s ruling was in place during the primaries this spring.

But in September, the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals allowed the law to go into effect. The Supreme Court upheld that ruling Tuesday. In her dissent, Ginsburg argued that the Supreme Court’s order was at odds with one of the top court’s most frequently invoked doctrines on election law: not to change the rules right before an election. By allowing a different set of ID rules in the general election from in the primary, Ginsburg warned, the court was risking widespread confusion and disenfranchisement.

“The risk of voter confusion appears severe here because the injunction against requiring residential-address identification was in force during the primary election and because the Secretary of State’s website announced for months the ID requirements as they existed under that injunction,” Ginsburg wrote. “Reasonable voters may well assume that the IDs allowing them to vote in the primary election would remain valid in the general election. If the Eighth Circuit’s stay is not vacated, the risk of disfranchisement is large.”

Ginsburg noted that according to the factual record of the case, about 20 percent of voters likely to try to cast a ballot in the midterms will lack the required identification. Another “approximately18,000 North Dakota residents also lack supplemental documentation sufficient to permit them to vote without a qualifying ID,” she noted.

·
2,338 Posts

I double checked and yes you have to apply for ID in person here in Georgia, you cannot do it online.
Let me clarify... you can renew online here.

If you lose your ID in MD though, you have to go in person, so I am assuming it is the same in GA

Look I'm giving anecdotal evidence from my life and the lives of people I know. Some of them are in the situations I posted about. Can't take time off. Their schedule just doesn't fit it. Their bosses are complete dicks that will not bend on anything. And at least a couple of them did not need to show picture ID to get their jobs, not sure how legal that was. Then there are the elderly that don't have jobs or drive and don't really need ID on a day to day basis. Now absolutely that doesn't describe everyone, but it does describe some which is why I said in my first post that if ID is necessary then make it easy, quick, and free to do. I'm not against voter ID as long as that criteria is satisfied though considering how low in person voter fraud is I don't really see the need for it. Personally with my state I just wish they'd secure the voting machines better. They're using old software, full of holes, with no paper trail.
Different states different circumstances, but I do have a friend that lives in Savannah, and she told me it was easier.

Like I said, here in MD it is a mild inconvenience, if you have friends/family in that situation, I hope things get better for them;

And I'm not using poor in a demeaning way. That describes a lot of the people I know and myself sometimes. Economically disadvantaged or however you want to say it means that your life is more complicated in some ways than those higher up on the food chain

I don't think you meant any ill will, it just comes off as classifying them in a group.

I do agree with you that in your situation, it should be more accessible

EDIT: Also, here in my state anything under 40 hours per week is classified as part time.
Here in MD, there are jobs that consider 33 hours full time.

If people are i bad situations, I would say look into some companies like Chipotle, ikea, and others that give benefits to anyone over 20 hours

·
2,338 Posts

LOL

People are giving you examples of what they had to go through and you are the one making excuses.

Its not easy to an get ID, you could jjust you know google it, and see even more examples of how difficult it is.

I think its funny you still cant show why we should need an ID to vote
Examples?

Ok, sure.

Well, Since I have had to get an ID, I can tell you how it is in MD,

You have to take ID (you can use an employee badge) to the local Social Security office, they will give you a social security card

They ship you out your card, takes about 3-5 business days,

You take said card to MVA, with a copy of a utility bill, or car registration, and you get your license the same day.

Where is the difficult part again? I can take time off work, and I can afford the $25 it costs to replace it, as the fine to drive without it is higher.

·
Banned
285 Posts

Examples?

Ok, sure.

Well, Since I have had to get an ID, I can tell you how it is in MD,

You have to take ID (you can use an employee badge) to the local Social Security office, they will give you a social security card

They ship you out your card, takes about 3-5 business days,

You take said card to MVA, with a copy of a utility bill, or car registration, and you get your license the same day.

Where is the difficult part again? I can take time off work, and I can afford the $25 it costs to replace it, as the fine to drive without it is higher.
You're wasting your time with him regardless of the subject.

221 - 240 of 5003 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.