Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every now and then you see something that reminds you how close WWE was to having something really cool and then you think, Jesus, they really fucked this up.

Today it's...Baron Corbin's old entrance?

I admit I wasn't the first person on the Corbin bandwagon. But eventually I saw the potential he had. Big Banter Corbin was money. He had a cool as fuck finisher (End of Days). He had a really cool signature move that he actually got wins with (Deep Six). Most of what he did leading up to those was pretty, well, "ok," but definitely serviceable. Oh, and he had this great run where he was an indy killer. Really, the worst thing about him was his thinning hair.

You see him here and the music is still great and better than what he has now. The entrance video is fucking cool with the city on fire and the black dripping onto the video board to where there's only a spotlight on the guy. There is definitely something there.

And WWE fucked it up. First it was the weird issues Vince or Dunn has with bodies and Corbin's smallish love handles and baby fat on his stomach were just too much so they stuck him in a sleeveless t-shirt. Then they hot shotted him too soon to win the MitB and he was embarrassed by Cena. Then they changed his music. He was looking lost in the ring. He didn't talk any shit to opponents. Any edge he had was just gone.

If that wasn't enough, they changed his character entirely and made him look like a smarmy manager of a TGIFridays. His gear completely sucked. His character took an even bigger downturn as*they made him Constable Corbin. A dude named a constable...in 2019. How fucking dumb. People hated this dude and not for the right reasons and so of course he had to become the thing WWE would shove down*people's throats for nearly 2 years.

The biggest positives for that whole period of time were him shaving his head and ditching the vest.

It's just weird to look back at what they had and see how badly they fucked it up. I don't even know if they can rehab this guy now and honestly, I WANT to see Corbin be rehabbed. I want him to be good and cool. I just don't know if that's even possible now.

One last point...I think a good step in the right direction would at least give him this entrance back, keep his shaved head look, and go with something different for ring gear. Have him start squashing dudes. See if they can get fans to start counting how long his matches last. As much as I bitch about WWE, I bitch about it because I know it can be better and I want it to be better. I don't want this show to suck. I don't want these characters to suck.

So what do some of you think? Is there any chance for Corbin to be rehabbed and be cool again?

·
The Babyface of WF
12,191 Posts
The old Baron Corbin had that badass vibe to him and it sold really well I'm talking about circa 2016-17, Now he's got that Corporate look going and he doesn't feel that badass anymore he's just a smug classic Heel that's hard to take seriously, He has two moves I like due to the execution of them both but he's lost all that appeal he once had.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
He definitely had potential. His lone wolf gimmick worked for him but when he became an authority figure he completely changed and everything about him shifted and somehow all that potential seemed to fade away. At this point I think he still can be saved but he would need to disappear for awhile, and upon returning he would need different ring gear rather than the dress clothes.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,051 Posts
Honestly I am not sure what I think

Old Corbin was never going to get over as a legit bad a$$

He just did not have the look. Balding baby boy...

However he has actually gotten "heat" and I mean legit heat. Fans hate him.

I understand a lot of it is simply due to the fact that they push him down our throats, so he does have some "go away" heat.

However he legit has heat with casuals, and does not care, which is more than a lot of modern WWE heels have had in years.

I mean Baron is one of the few heels not trying to be "cool bad guy" he's a pandering heel and that's pretty cool to me.

While I do hate his push, I think he's probably overperformed and could be a great "manager" of legit threats moving forward.

Enough of Corbin the contender....let's have Corbin the mid card guy/ manager of stars.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,959 Posts
I like all versions of Corbin and I like all versions of his entrance music. People don't like the Olive Garden manager look but I think when he had his shirt unbuttoned and you could see his heart tattoo with the gold chain, that he looked like a right scumbag, like Jeffery Epstein on a boat with 10 teenaged girls type scumbag.

·
Banned
4,891 Posts
I like all versions of Corbin and I like all versions of his entrance music. People don't like the Olive Garden manager look but I think when he had his shirt unbuttoned and you could see his heart tattoo with the gold chain, that he looked like a right scumbag, like Jeffery Epstein on a boat with 10 teenaged girls type scumbag.
He should drop the black shirts and start wearing his pimp shirts to the ring

He's already got the gold and tats, just give him a pack of hoes and a pimp hat :vince$

·
Registered
672 Posts
Never been a fan.
I get why "The Look" marks would love Lacey, but Baron Corbin..........?? He looks shit. He just looks like a big, overgrown, retarded baby.
He's got a terrible physique, he ring-gear looks stupid, he doesn't look like a badass, and he doesn't have any presence at all. He's just good at playing a total tool. Probably because he is a total tool in real life.
And for all the "anti-smarks" who think he is a badass etc etc etc.............He was called Constable Corbin............Constable Corbin. Constable!
Plus he is a pretty average on the mic and in the ring as well.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
He's so mediocre at everything. All the time devoted to him should have been used on someone like Ec3, Roode, Elias. Someone that's actually worth building around.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
In terms of Corbin I don't get why there's 2 sides of either he fucking sucks or he's god's gift to wrestling. He's a good heel who's not quite main event worthy but is worthy of a strong upper midcard position and a constant midcard title challenger if WWE knew how the hell a midcard is supposed to work these days that would be a great spot for him to hold (obviously they don't but that doesn't change the fact saying someone would be good in the midcard of a properly booked company is not an insult)

I also think he probably should ditch the current attire but again I don't hate it like a lot of people it's just not something I think suits him well personally but that's the only thing I'd really change about his presentation.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,408 Posts
so of course he had to become the thing WWE would shove down*people's throats for nearly 2 years.
I need clarification because this claim is thrown around all the time. But how exactly is Corbin being shoved down peoples throats? The guys a glorified jobber. Whats the last feud he won? Whats the last match of any importance he won? Kurt Angle at WM. A retirement match against an old man that could barely move.

Pretty much all Corbin has done for the last year and a half is job to The Shield. He's feuded with the Shield trio over and over again, in various different feuds and been jobbed out in all of them. He's filling The Miz's old role; The Shields favourite jobber.

People act like he's getting some huge monster push, when all the guy ever does is job to The Shield guys. Yeah he's in the Main Event scene often, but again always as a jobber. And lets apply this logic to someone else, Dolph Ziggler has received several World Title matches recently, is Ziggler being shoved down our throats? Samoa Joe has challenged Lesnar, Styles and Kofi for the World Title in the last two years, six Title matches, is Joe being shoved down our throats?

I don't understand this narrative that Corbin is being forced upon us and he's getting this huge push. He's in the same spot Heel Miz was in, he's in the same spot Samoa Joe is in; jobber to the stars.

If Baron was getting this supposed monster push he'd be World Champ by now. Vince has shown fan reaction/reception doesn't put him off pushing those he wants pushed.

I'm a Corbin fan, so I'd like to be able to say he's getting this big push and its hilarious seeing the Indy fanboys have a meltdown but Baron is just a jobber to the Stars.

If you're sitting there saying Elias, Roode, etc should be getting Corbins push instead of Corbin, what you're really saying is Elias, Roode, etc should be getting endlessly jobbed out to Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman and the WOAT Main Eventer; Seth Rollins.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,149 Posts
I need clarification because this claim is thrown around all the time. But how exactly is Corbin being shoved down peoples throats? The guys a glorified jobber. Whats the last feud he won? Whats the last match of any importance he won? Kurt Angle at WM. A retirement match against an old man that could barely move.

Pretty much all Corbin has done for the last year and a half is job to The Shield. He's feuded with the Shield trio over and over again, in various different feuds and been jobbed out in all of them. He's filling The Miz's old role; The Shields favourite jobber.

People act like he's getting some huge monster push, when all the guy ever does is job to The Shield guys. Yeah he's in the Main Event scene often, but again always as a jobber. And lets apply this logic to someone else, Dolph Ziggler has received several World Title matches recently, is Ziggler being shoved down our throats? Samoa Joe has challenged Lesnar, Styles and Kofi for the World Title in the last two years, six Title matches, is Joe being shoved down our throats?

I don't understand this narrative that Corbin is being forced upon us and he's getting this huge push. He's in the same spot Heel Miz was in, he's in the same spot Samoa Joe is in; jobber to the stars.

If Baron was getting this supposed monster push he'd be World Champ by now. Vince has shown fan reaction/reception doesn't put him off pushing those he wants pushed.

I'm a Corbin fan, so I'd like to be able to say he's getting this big push and its hilarious seeing the Indy fanboys have a meltdown but Baron is just a jobber to the Stars.

If you're sitting there saying Elias, Roode, etc should be getting Corbins push instead of Corbin, what you're really saying is Elias, Roode, etc should be getting endlessly jobbed out to Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman and the WOAT Main Eventer; Seth Rollins.

Thats the problem. Corbin never wins anything. People complain about lack of fan interest in his main events, well NO SHIT. When you know the guy is gonna lose of course you're not interested. He always looks like a goof when the chips are down. The two times he didnt were where he won MITB, then rubbed Cena the wrong way backstage and got completely buried, then he beat AJ and had the US title, and his first feud was against SIN CARA and then he lost the thing. I mean what the fuck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts