Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, without a single hesitation of a doubt .... this guy was one of the BEST heels in wrestling history .... fact!!! Everything he did was absolutely spot on ... and that laugh ... well, that deserves a mention on it's own merit lol

Let me just also add, I've spent quite a bit of time with Dibiase too ... and he really is such a nice, genuine, lovely guy ... who has time for everyone and is very warm to people.

So as before ... but in regards to Ted Dibiase.

1. Fave match Dibiase was involved in?

2. Who do you think he had the best chemistry with?

3. Fave memory of all time in regards to Dibiase?

4. Thoughts on his promo and in ring ability?

5. Hall Of Fame worthy? .... Discuss. (Yes, he's in).

Ted Dibiase Promo

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Yes lets!

1. Tough call but I will go with the match vs Flair in 1985 for the NWA title on the Mid South set that just came out or the match vs Savage at Wrestlefest in 1988 vs Savage for the title. Also have a soft spot for his match with Bret Hart on the SNME DVD set cuz I was in the crowd...match was in 1990.

2. Great chemistry with Savage, JYD, Jim Duggan and Jake Roberts.

3. Without a doubt when he bought off the refs and bought the title in 1988 when Andre "beat" Hogan.

4. One of the best on the mic ever. One of the best workers ever. One of the best sellers ever. Underrated as fuck. Incredible heel gimmick. He made his own damn belt! Just a mother fucking beast really.

5. Without a doubt. In my mind the best heel of all time that Vince did not push near enough. Should have had a run with the title in 1988 and this is coming from a Savage mark. Savage should have won the title at WM4 but then dropped it to DiBiase in the summer of 88 and Savage should have won it back at Survivor Series or Rumble before turning heel. Oh well.

I'd donate $100 to his church to leave the outgoing message on my cell phone.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Still hard to believe neither DiBiase nor Piper were ever WWE Champion. I know this was absolutely the Hulk Hogan era but both would have made fantastic heel champions to feud with Hogan/Savage etc. Could really have drawn big heat in much bigger programs but I suppose it's not really hindered their legacy.

Summerslam 88 was probably the first old VHS I ever got a hold of as a kid (would only have been a few months old when it happened) and the Mega Powers v the Mega Bucks left a huge impression on me. Not seen it in years and a bit hesitant to watch it back now in case it hasn't held up well, but I loved watching it over and over back then. I had the same reaction as Ted towards Liz at the end too

One of the best ever heels though, no doubt. Rare breed these days.

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts
1. I have to now see his match with Flair. Savage at WM4 was a classic. Mega Powers vs Mega Bucks at SS88. When Money Inc Beat the LOD.

2.In ring. Savage. All around the list goes on an on. Jake, Hogan, Andre, Duggan, and I have to include Virgil

3. Tied between when he paid the ref or when he made a young RVD kiss his feet for 100 bucks

4. In ring he could work with anybody and make them look damn good. I loved his promo to the Warrior when he was talking about he can actually wrestle. His promos are off the charts. When it comes to skits I will only put Rock and Jake in his league as heels. His work with Virgil right before Virgil turned on him was some of his best stuff. I also loved his work with Andre. He did an awesome job of carrying Andre in their years together in promos.

5. Hell yes. He is, IMO the best heel promo guy ever. It is sad that Vince never put the belt on him like he promised to. His character was based on the character Vince wanted to be himself and to put that kind of faith in someone says a lot. He excelled at whatever he did whether it be promos, in ring, or as a manager. I really got behind him as the Steiners manager. One of the most underrated ever.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Creepycrawl....just buy the mid south dvd/blu ray set....it's amazing.

Mega Powers vs Mega Bucks with our next president as ref is totally a guilty pleasure match. I love it still.

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts
Still hard to believe neither DiBiase nor Piper were ever WWE Champion. I know this was absolutely the Hulk Hogan era but both would have made fantastic heel champions to feud with Hogan/Savage etc. Could really have drawn big heat in much bigger programs but I suppose it's not really hindered their legacy.

Summerslam 88 was probably the first old VHS I ever got a hold of as a kid (would only have been a few months old when it happened) and the Mega Powers v the Mega Bucks left a huge impression on me. Not seen it in years and a bit hesitant to watch it back now in case it hasn't held up well, but I loved watching it over and over back then. I had the same reaction as Ted towards Liz at the end too

One of the best ever heels though, no doubt. Rare breed these days.
Holy shit. I mentioned this in a post a week ago. This was also my first VHS from the the video store.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Rasslemania 3 was my first VHS. I still have it in a box somewhere.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I had quite a few VHS tapes and a LOT of wrestling figures as a kid.

Threw it all out or gave to charity or something when I was a little older and assumed I'd 'outgrown' wrestling.

Lesson learned :( Shoulda kept it all stored away in the loft or something.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I still have like 35-40 LJN figures. I'd really like to sell them.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
one of the best characters ever!
I think you'd agree with me a Sting thread is in order. Him and DiBiase are from the same hometown....45 mins from me.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
^Sting was from Nebraska?!? Mind blown! Btw, I 3rd the Sting thread idea.

vs. Flair- NWA title match on Mid South TV.
*I love Dibiase and all but I'm having trouble coming up with a list of classic matches from him.

Savage I guess.

His introductory vignettes. Basketball, pool, feet kissing...just pick one. They all ruled.

The Hogan/Andre SNME match was my biggest markout moment as a kid. Dibiase played a role in that, so it deserves a mention here.

Great on promos.

Very good in the ring, but I do think he was missing a little something to be considered an all time great in ring competitor. For starters, a lack of great matches. But also seemed a little too 'technical' at times. I mean he was a great 'technical' wrestler, but he probably should have done more heeling when he was the Million Dollar Man.

5. Hall Of Fame worthy? .... Discuss. (Yes, he's in).

Obviously. He was one of the biggest heels of WWF's Golden Age and was a huge star in Mid South before that. I don't know how many people here have seen his Mid South stuff, but he's a surprisingly awesome face there.

*Teddy is one of my Top 25 favorite wrestlers of all time. Think I had him at #21 last time I made that list. He was an iconic figure of his era and one of the greatest heels/characters ever.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Tooooo many DiBiase matches ended in DQ or countout.

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts
I would love to see how he would do if he was in today's product in his prime. I think he would fit in so well as the corporations champion

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts
Ted Dibiase is in my top five favourites of all time! The WWE may not recognize it, but as far as I'm concerned, Ted Dibiase is a former WWF Heavyweight Champion! (Hey, if HHH can be handed a championship, Dibiase can certainly buy one)

Any match against Randy Savage. He had a great match against Bret Hart on (I think) Saturday Night's Main Event. Maybe Superstars.

Everyone. Dibiase did no wrong in that ring.

I have a few:
Buying the WWF Heavyweight Championship from Andre.
Introducing the Million Dollar Championship.
Staring at Liz.
His laugh.
Meeting him. Great guy. Very personable.

In both areas, one of THE best ever. I've never heard a bad promo & I've never seen a bad match with Dibiase. Shit, he actually had good matches with the Ultimate Warrior. C'mon! The Warrior?!

5. Hall Of Fame worthy?

Does Everybody have a Price?

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
^Sting was from Nebraska?!? Mind blown! Btw, I 3rd the Sting thread idea.
Yep. Sting and DiBiase are both Omaha boys.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts

Reactions: SpocksEvilClone

·
Registered
167 Posts
One of my all time favorites. Perfect heel. Has said that he was the character Vince would have been had Vince been a wrestler (and his character was basically an early version of Mr McMahon). Incredible promo guy, his spots with making people crawl around like dogs and similar things then stuffing money in their mouths were incredible. Had huge heel heat.

Great worker, much stronger than his physique appeared (I remember they had a video of him doing squats one time and it was serious weight, and not the fake "Dino Bravo bench press" type of weight, either).

One of the best ever. Legendary heel.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought it was cool when he bought Sapphire too from Dusty Rhodes lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts