Wrestling Forum banner

Let's talk about "Nature Boy" Ric Flair

36K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  Skins 
#1 ·
1. Fave match Ric Flair was involved in?

2. Who do you think he had the best chemistry with?

3. Fave memory of all time in regards to Flair?

4. Thoughts on his promo and in ring ability?

5. Where is Ric Flair on your GOAT list..Discuss

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the first time I ever saw Ric Flair. I was at my uncles house and I looked at the TV and this very video was playing

1. The trilogy with Steamboat in 89 Clash of Champions was my favorite, Bash 90 with Sting, Starrcade 83 with Harley Race, I Quit vs Terry Funk, Starrcade 93 with Vader, Clash of Champions 1 with Sting.

2. Chemistry on the mic-Dusty Rhodes. In the ring- Steamboat. All around Sting. Partner-Arn Anderson

3. The run in at the end of the Funk match at GAB89,

4. Promos- Flair was gold on the mic. He epitomized the wrestling lifestyle and brought it to the screen like no other. He made every match feel big and made every opponent feel like a serious threat. He made you want to see that belt come off of him so bad. I enjoyed his face work with Sting, but he was always in his own as a heel. In ring- No one has put on more classic matches with more opponents than Flair. His was the master of simplicity, yet could keep you interest for 60 minutes. He made every opponent that he stepped into the ring with better.

5.From an all around perspective, which includes booking, Flair was, IMO, the greatest heel ever. He has more classic matches than anyone, and I put him top 10 in ring based on that. His moveset was pretty basic. On the mic he is also top 10 and is a top 5 draw. With all aspect taken into consideration he is Top 5 GOAT

Reactions: ByTor
#3 ·
I'll keep this relatively short because it's either that or I ramble on for hours.

vs. Ricky Steamboat- Wrestle War 1989

Probably Steamboat. I only say 'probably' because Flair had great chemistry with like 98% of the dudes he faced. It's hard to pick a 'wrong' answer.

Coming back to WWF in 2001. Just because of the circumstances. I was working a restaurant job at the time. My friend, who knew I was a Flair fanatic, called the restaurant to tell me Flair was on Raw. I wasted no time in switching the TV over to Raw in order to see my hero return. Since Mondays were slow, switching over to Raw at 9:00 became a thing after this.

Great on promos. He did funny and serious equally well. Easy Top 10 talker of all time. Probably Top 5.

The best ever in the ring. Nobody tops Flair when it comes to sheer volume of matches I really dig.

#1. Nobody entertained me more, or for a longer period of time, than 'The Nature Boy.' WOOOOOO!

#5 ·
I'll keep this relatively short because it's either that or I ramble on for hours.
Ramble away, man. I know you can do a top 10 Flair matches without even having to stop to think about it.

What an introduction! Greatest hype video ever. That video also made me a Europe fan for life.
I looked for this video for years. Words can't describe the joy I felt when I found it.

#6 ·
1. I actually enjoyed his match with Randy Savage at Wrestlemania 8, and also his one against Mr Perfect on Raw, for the loser leaves the WWF match and I LOVED his I Quit match against Foley at Summerslam 2007.

2. Probably Steamboat, as mentioned above, however Flair could usually work any match really, I also thought his I Quit Match with Foley was absolutely spot on!!!!

3. When he came into the WWF, alongside Bobby Heenan with the world title, which of course they blurred out lol

4. I think he's great on promo's, he really got into them didn't he lol, in ring ability is also really good, he would often over sell (you know the famous fall he'd do lol), but it worked and made great entertainment so it was good, he was also good at taking bumps too I think.

5. Difficult to say, I'm not Flairs biggest fan but I like him and his work, on a personal level I'd probably put him lower than a lot of other talents, but I know on a professional level he actually is, very much high up there on the list.

#7 ·
he would often over sell (you know the famous fall he'd do lol), but it worked and made great entertainment so it was good, he was also good at taking bumps too I think.
I used to look forward to the famous fall in his matches. Also when he would flip over the rope and land on his feet on the apron and run to the other post and almost always get slammed off the top rope. He was also the most creative worker ever when it came to different ways to use the ropes for leverage.

#9 ·
Best wrestler of all time when taken into account quality of matches, promo ability, entertainment, character, and longevity. Flair never became boring for me and even in WCW's dying days was one of the few bright spots.

Never as marketable as Hogan or The Rock, but certainly as entertaining.

#10 ·
1. Fav match is Royal Rumble 1992 and against Sting (Forgot which one)

2. Best chemistry with Sting, Rhodes and Steamboat

3. Post royal Rumble Victory with Heenan and Perfect, and the road to WM 8 with his segments

4. As for promo, he is on top, in his prime he is as good as The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, CM Punk and Dusty Rhodes on the mike when they where in their prime.

5. On a purely wrestling basis, he is THE man and the GOAT heel. He is the blue print of how a wrestler is (Despite stealing the gimmick from Buddy Rogers). Only wrestler to ocmpete with him for this spot is HBK.

But when it comes to mainstream appeal as well, he is easilly surpassed by Hogan, Austin, Andre, Taker, HBK, Cena, Rock, HHH and a few otehrs which slips my mind atm

It is just too bad he still is active and embaresses himself. He should have saved up money and retired like in 2003-2004. Same with Hogan for that matter.

#11 ·
1. Ric Flair vs. Big Van Vader from Starrcade 1993
2. His best matches were with Ricky Steamboat, so i guess i'll say him.
3. His match with the Undertaker at WrestleMania 18, probably because i was there live for that. It was a great match
4. His promos were always entertaining, i always thought his ring skills was a bit overrated.
5. I'd rank Flair 5th on my GOAT list, behind Andre the Giant, Austin, Hogan and Angle

#12 ·
The Vader match was really special to me. They did a great job of building Vader up as an invincible opponent and you really had the feeling that it may be over for Flair. Flair's best face work on the mic, IMO. The promo in the limo before the match was awesome. It is definitely a top 10 all time moments for me when Flair won.

#13 ·
Bret Hart would give him 4/10.

Man, Bret really hate Flair according to his book, claiming that Flair is a really bad wrestler. Well, he's wrong IMO. Flair is one of the GOATs, second only to HBK.

#14 ·
Ric Flair is a carbon copy of Nature Boy Buddy Rogers. While wrestlers will borrow gimmicks and parts of the persona of other wrestlers from time to time, Flair stole Rogers' entire persona and repertoire lock, stock and barrel.

The "Nature Boy" title, the Figure Four Leg Lock, the strut, the blond hair, the overall Rogers' wrestling style (including selling the receiving end of a body slam) were plagiarized by Flair who was a Buddy Rogers fan when he was a kid. The only thing Flair invented himself was the "Wooo" scream that he would do.

As I've mentioned in a previous post, Rogers did not seem perturbed by this and actually helped advance Flair's career by putting him over in the "Battle of the Nature Boys" - 60+ years old Rogers vs. 30 year old Flair!!!

I suppose Flair served a purpose by giving you all a chance to see an imitation of the first "Nature Boy" and one of the most influential wrestlers in NWA and WWE history - NATURE BOY BUDDY ROGERS.

Just as an FYI piece of trivia, by the way he applies the Figure Four Leg Lock you can tell Flair is a "lefty" (southpaw). He crosses the victim's left leg over the right, and uses his left leg to anchor the hold and apply pressure. A "righty," like Rogers, crosses the right leg over the left.

- Mike

THE NATURE BOYS - ROGERS & FLAIR

A BLOODY ROGERS PUTS OVER FLAIR IN THE BATTLE OF THE NATURE BOYS

ROGERS APPLIES FIGURE FOUR (NOTICE LEG POSITION OF VICTIM)

FLAIR APPLIES FIGURE FOUR (NOTICE LEG POSITION OF VICTIM)

#17 ·
I chose not to discuss this aspect as I felt that the topic belonged to you. I was hoping you would post this. Thanks. If wrestlers today had the class Buddy had the industry would be much better. For him to put Flair over the way he did was one of the most unselfish acts in wrestling history.

#18 ·
The Greatest of all time.

I'd love to see someone today go from territory to territory on an every night basis and work 60 minute matches with that territories #1 contender and make that guy into a believable threat for the title, and do that almost everyday of the year, twice on Saturdays and Sundays.

#20 ·
1. I'm kind of split between the I Quit match with Terry Funk and Starrcade '93 with Vader. I didn't see the I Quit match until over 10 years after it happened and even in '89, seemed to be a match that would have been just as good had it taken place recently. Starrcade '93, however, I saw shortly after it was released on VHS and just the backstory of Flair's career being on the line and his performance make that match one of my favorites. The 2 matches I'll point to is someone says Flair worked the same match every night.

2. Ricky Steamboat. These guys pretty much faced off over the course of 3 decades, which provides the ability to be perfectly comfortable working with one another. Not to mention, their 3 matches from 1989 received 5 star ratings and I also feel their final match with one another in 1994 on WCW Saturday Night should be up there as well.

3. My favorite memory is the night Arn Anderson introduced the Horsemen, with Dean Malenko as the newest member and says he almost forgot the 4th Horsemen, Ric Flair. And Flair comes out and cuts that "abuse of power" promo on Bischoff. Oh man, I remember my heart beating so fast as a kid when Flair came out and you could see the emotion, as Flair was near tears that night.

4. I loved his promos. They fit him perfectly. A loud, obnoxious guy that touted himself as the best and could back it up. A lot of wrestlers promos today aren't as overly cocky as Flair's was. He bragged about every facet of his life, which was actually true. He acted as a champion and lived his life as a champion and made no hesitation to let fans know anytime he was on the microphone.

As for in ring ability, many say Flair wrestles the same match every night. Not hardly. Everybody has their signature moves but not every wrestler tells a story in that ring. Flair made his matches mean something and I'd say all the way up until 1996, Flair would work nearly every match as if it was a PPV main event. He was a master in the ring that could manipulate the referee, allowing him to do something heinous, earning him the title of "dirtiest player in the game". The fact that he could constantly go out there in the late 80s and wrestle in excess of 30 minutes night in and night out means a lot. And he was able to do that with everybody, from seasoned veterans like Steamboat & Funk to a borderline newcomer Sting to a green as green can get Luger to 450 pound powerhouse like Vader and everybody in between. Bret Hart is probably the only other guy that could maintain quality matches with such a variety of talent, with various size and skill levels.

5. I'd put him in my top 10, maybe even around 5 or 6. No matter the reason he stayed on top or any of the backstage shit, that guy was one of the best workers this business will ever see. Flair was the reason WCW lasted as long as it did, as he carried that company for 3 years, not counting his hardwork in JCP in the 7 years prior to them selling. He was WCW's answer to Hogan and a guy that defined what a champion should be.

#22 ·
My favorite memory is the night Arn Anderson introduced the Horsemen, with Dean Malenko as the newest member and says he almost forgot the 4th Horsemen, Ric Flair. And Flair comes out and cuts that "abuse of power" promo on Bischoff. Oh man, I remember my heart beating so fast as a kid when Flair came out and you could see the emotion, as Flair was near tears that night.
I was lucky enough to have been there in Greenville

#21 ·

I really enjoyed his match with Savage at Wrestlemania 8.
Any match against Ricky Steamboat.

Steamboat, Savage, Hennig, Hart, Rhodes.

Getting superkicked by Shawn at Wrestlemania & receiving the ovation he got. (Just came about 10 years too late.)

I'm mixed on this. His work in the NWA & his first WWF run were amazing. Great on the mic, could tell a story in the ring or on the mic. He sold matches & his character.
Once he returned to WCW, it seemed that his matches & promos all became quite cookie cutter.

5. Where is Ric Flair on your GOAT list

Honestly, not as high as most peoples. Ric Flair would go in my top 20-25.

Not going to lie about this, I don't like Ric Flair. I respect what he did in the business, but watching his career post 1992, he wasn't nearly the wrestler he had been prior. Strictly my opinion, but Ric Flair hurt his career by sticking around as an active wrestler for much longer than he should have.

Had he retired by the mid 1990's (and stayed retired) top 10, maybe top 5. I just feel that he hung around for far too long as an active wrestler & it really hurt his career.
Apart from winning a few more heavyweight titles, he accomplished nothing in WCW between 1993-2001. His second WWF/E run (I'm sorry to any Flair fan) wasn't very memorable. Not from my standpoint anyway, apart from his match against Shawn & giving Roddy Piper a tag team title to pad his resume with.

How about this? Ric Flair pre-1992: Top 5. Ric Flair post 1992: Top 20.

#23 ·
1. Flair vs Savage WM 8
or
'92 royal rumble

2. Dusty Rhodes

3. '92 royal rumble

4. Flair was second to none as far as his promos and his in ring work, though limited always delivered

5. He's #6 on my list

#26 · (Edited)
Don't normally answer these threads but this is one that interests me.

Steamboat Wrestle War 89. Honestly one of my favourite matches ever. Classic written all over it.

In the ring Steamboat without a doubt. Though I'd say overall it's got to be Sting, they were just absolutely made to be rivals both on the stick and in the ring. Great American Bash 90' their match with Sting winning his first world title is one of my favourite moments in wrestling history.

In terms of making me laugh: All of his WCW President run had some of the most hilarious moments I've ever associated with in terms of wrestling. Some absolutely gold moments came out of that time. But overall, has to be the retirement match with HBK. The pure raw emotion that came with it as Flair's send off from wrestling at the time was completely storybook in a way that couldn't have been written anymore perfectly. Of course he had to fuck it up later but it doesn't change my feelings on it.

Unbelievable promo cutter. Top 10 easily of all time and perhaps top 5 from a personal standpoint. At his prime he was fantastic in the ring too but overall I'd say he is a bit overrated in that department. Still in the upper echelons of American Pro Wrestling though.

From a personal standpoint, maybe in or around the top 10 of all time. Stepping back in terms of accomplishments and impact on the business, he has to be at least very close to if not being in the top 5 ever in American Pro Wrestling history.

#27 ·
But overall, has to be the retirement match with HBK. The pure raw emotion that came with it as Flair's send off from wrestling at the time was completely storybook in a way that couldn't have been written anymore perfectly. Of course he had to fuck it up later but it doesn't change my feelings on it.[/B]
Cool. I'm glad it caught your interest and thanks for the reply.

It was a truly powerful moment when Flair was telling HBK to bring the Sweet Chin Music. I won't lie about it. I cried. Shawn was the perfect person to have had his last WWE match with. Their strengths are very similar. The next night on RAW was great, too. To see Vince give the man that was his top competitor for many years to exit he deserved was awesome. I think the ones that got me the most was Steamboat and Race came out.

#28 ·
Flair pissed me off in the 92 Royal Rumble cause he took Rick Martel's longest participant record away from him lol

Don't get me wrong, as mentioned before, Flair is a without a doubt one of the all time greats, no one can take that way from him but when you watch Martel in the 91 Royal Rumble, his endurance is unreal, he is constantly at it all the time, where as Flair, a lot of the time was sat near the corner turnbuckle.

I'm not taking anything away from Flair by the way, the guy performed well too ... but you get my point lol

#29 ·
Flair pissed me off in the 92 Royal Rumble cause he took Rick Martel's longest participant record away from him lol

Don't get me wrong, as mentioned before, Flair is a without a doubt one of the all time greats, no one can take that way from him but when you watch Martel in the 91 Royal Rumble, his endurance is unreal, he is constantly at it all the time, where as Flair, a lot of the time was sat near the corner turnbuckle.

I'm not taking anything away from Flair by the way, the guy performed well too ... but you get my point lol
My little brother was the same about Martel. I am pretty sure he commented on that while we were watching it. I was not fit to be around for days after Flair won. I was rubbing all of my friend's noses in it.

I can't help but to wonder if Flair was resting so much on purpose to draw heat. Especially with as much as Heenan was constantly saying for him to take a breather on commentary.

#33 ·
1. Ric Flair vs Sting - Bash at the Beach 1990

2. Ricky Steamboat or Shawn Michaels (Maybe Harley Race)

3. When he officially retired. Emotional night.

4. Awesome on the mic, great in the ring.

5. Ric Flair is #2 on my list. Second to Hogan.

#34 ·
1. Any of the 3 vs Steamboat in 1989. I Quit vs Terry Funk in 89 was the tits as well.

2. Steamboat or Sting

3. 1992 Royal Rumble

4. One of the top 5 ever in both categories

5. One of the best ever. Easily top 10. Probably top 5.

#41 ·
One of the most charismatic superstars of all time.Great mic skills,amazing heel.And rightly accepted by plethora of wrestling fans and even plenty of wrestlers like HHH,HBK etc as the greatest wrestling superstar of all time.

#42 · (Edited)

I found this jewel. Seeing those 3 in the ring together was awesome.

Flair vs Terry Funk(Chainsaw Charlie) Great American Bash 89. The first PPV I ever ordered. Amazing match and The catalyst to Sting's first main event push. Also some great JR commentary.

#43 ·
I liked his matches with Savage the best, they would go outside the ring and tear it up. I think he is the best interview ever in wrestling. He would just come out and talk to Mean Gene for 10 minutes about nothing, it would be the best segment on the show. If you put him in story lines and crap, you are just killing ratings. Just let him talk to Mean Gene.

#44 ·
The only person I would put above Flair is Hogan, and that is because of the cultural phenomenon of Hulkamania. If Flair was with the WWE in his prime, then he could have been what Hogan was, I think.

Flair is the complete package. Charisma, incredible mic skills, great worker, great actor.

Wrestling Deity and certainly one of my all-time favorites.

#45 ·
The true GOAT. I can't see anyone else having the ability and patience to go to a different city every night of the week, territory to territory and working 60 minute matches with each territory's number one contender, no matter who he was, and making the fans believe that their guy would leave that night with the NWA Championship. Thus, leaving that guy and his territory better off after the match. Doing this every night of week, twice on Saturdays and Sundays. I don't think anyone else in the business could have done this.

:flair3

#46 ·
Basically what he said. All this, after surviving a plane crash. While most wrestlers slow down and just get worse by their late 30s and early 40s, Flair was having the matches of his life. Classics for the ages. His longevity and endurance is unreal.

1. I am torn between Wrestlewar 89 vs Steamboat and I Quit against Funk. Tossup really.

2. So many. As a rival, Dusty Rhodes really represented the complete opposite of everything Flair symbolized. These two men were born to be rivals. Also, Sting was great as a long time rival. Flair made Sting. In ring is obviously Steamboat.

3. Someone already mentioned this, but when he returned to WCW Nitro as the fourth Horseman and the crowd went nuts. Insane stuff.

4. GOAT on the mic. Basic moveset but GOAT storyteller, only person close on the storytelling ability is probably Bret Hart.

5. Number 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.