Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you play it? I always felt that Vince missed out on alot of money regarding wCw, let's hear how you would've booked the whole thing.
I'll keep mine somewhat brief:

-Still have the backstory of Shane buying wCw, with Stephanie coming in to help bring WWE down.

-I would've shown the top guys respect and brought in the real wCw big guns, namely the likes of Goldberg, Sting and Flair (who didn't join the company until later).

-I'd have Smackdown replaced (up to Wrestlemania) by "wCw Friday night Nitro", or was it thursdays at the time?

-Have the WWE vs wCw storyline still.

-Have Booker T continue his push as the face of wCw (ultimately ending up as a top guy in WWE)

-Culminate the feud at Wrestlemania and have a true Top guys vs Top guys elimination match. With WWE winning and Smackdown returning.

-Have the nWo lead team wCw.

Teams (ignoring injuries / current feuds) :

WWE - The Rock, Triple H, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle, Undertaker.
wCw - Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Goldberg, Sting.

How would you have done it?

·
Keeping the red flag flying high
2,044 Posts
I Would have done it pretty similar except for incluing Hogan, Hall & Nash (mainly because their entire gimick was to bring WCW to the ground so including them in a 'Team WCW' wouldn't really have fit), I would have the same Team WWE (Rock, Trips, Austin, Angle & Taker) but I would change the WCW team to Goldberg, Sting, Flair, Booker T & DDP or Turn Jericho and have him take DDP's Place.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Total control would require me to re-write months of previous WWF programming to prevent it's own storylines from interfering. Since that's going too far I'll do my best to work with what they gave me:

First things first, I would not have run it as an invasion storyline at all, by 2001 there had been a change in the presentaion in the mojor federations whereby it was much harder to see guys coming in as athletes who had worked their way up through the minor leagues to earn spots on the big stage, instead they were clearly employees. Instead I would've brought in as many big names as were available from the start which would probably be limited to Booker T and DDP initially (possibly Jarrett as well) with people like Hogan, Savage, Luger, Steiner, Nash and Hall coming in as soon as possible.

Once I had 5 or 6 big name stars (especially the ones who'd already been huge in WWF prior to the Attitude Era) I would begin to put them into the big PPV spots instead of those who'd actually won the Monday Night Wars for Vince (and some sort of deal would be struck whereby a percentage of their merchandise sales would go to the WWF guys to make up for the loss of PPV money, got to keep my own guys happy). Initially the WWF guys (Austin, Rock, Jericho etc) would still get chances but over a period of 4 or 5 months they would dry up and we'd end up with PPV cards dominated by the WCW talent.

Re-enter Shane McMahon. At some point following his WM feud with Vince he would've disappeared, now, with Survivor Series approaching he would make his return, still a shareholder in WWF. Upon his return he would bring 3 or 4 of the best young lower card WCW guys, a few WWF guys who he'd had past kayfabe friendships with (Test and Big Show for example) plus a few of the buried WWF stars (Austin, Rock, Jericho etc) to re-ignite the family feud with him as the babyface. The promos would be shoot-style, not to the extent that WCW's were at the end but certainly close to the knuckle and based around Vince repeating the mistakes the Bischoff and Russo (not by name) had made. This would result in scuffles backstage, interference in matches and (not quite) cross-promtional matches which would be much more heated than normal. A 5-on-5 elimination tag would be made for Survivor Series which Shane's team would lose (he'd be the manager btw).

With the battle lines drawn the 2 factions within WWF would continue to feud and, due to a further influx of talent including Sting, would now have a slight advantage. Sting would win the Royal Rumble and head to towards a WM18 match with WWF champion Hulk Hogan meaning that, regardless of the result, Vince would retain control of the championship. Between the Rumble and WM18 Sting would turn face and join Shane, this however would not be enough to turn the tide his way.

One factor I haven't mentioned yet is Paul Heyman and ECW. This was deliberate since I want them to be the X factor in this angle. Around the time that Stings turns on Vince Heyman would turn up with 4 or 5 of the biggest ECW guys that hadn't already been signed by WWF, I'm thinking Dreamer, RVD, Sabu, Sandman and Steve Corino, all but 1 of whom former ECW champions and well known to the WWF fanbase. I would spend a couple of weeks teasing which side they were on, they'd had ties with WWF which had been mentioned previously and Heyman always hated WCW but, on the other hand, he's never been a fan of the old guys retaining their spots which is what WWF would now represent. He would pick Shane, tipping the scales going into No Way Out (or whatever it was called back then) and the upcoming WM18.

At WM18 control of the company would be up for grabs. Sting would defeat Hogan with the Scorpian Deathlock to claim the WWF title, forcing Hulk out of the company in the process, a number of others would have their final matches as well. Vince would accept the occasional on-screen role of WWF President (with no real power), Heyman would become WWF Commissioner and we would move into the Ruthless Aggression Era with a new generation of talent.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
I'd do it the exact way that he did, only with more top named stars rather than the nobodies that they brought in from WCW like Chuck Palumbo

·
Registered
97 Posts
i would keep them seperate...

let the WWE move into the PG13 kid friendly money making machine it is today with Cena as the poster child once we lose the rock and Austin and keep it on national TV

WCW would be renamed and branded and wll take over where the attitude era left off from pleasing the hardcore like us with the keeping of the hardcore title and cruiserweight titles... it would be kept on cable (i would try and get it on HBO or showtime so cursing would be allowed) it would just be filled with all the stuff that made the attitude era so special

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
I'd do it the exact way that he did, only with more top named stars rather than the nobodies that they brought in from WCW like Chuck Palumbo
Despite the fact that basically all big names were still under big WCW contracts, so they were being paid for sitting behind the TV with a beer all day, so they didn't even WANT to wrestle. This is what many people forget, they blame Vince for not using the big guns but he couldn't, unless he bought out their contracts which would have cost him a shitload of money. Also, Sting didn't even want to wrestle for the WWE, he has said numerous times he's not interested in the WWE because of his history.

They could have used the same guys, but instead of letting them play second fiddle to the WWF guys the whole time, the likes of Booker T and DDP should have been put in main event spots from the get-go. Booker T should have beaten The Rock (didn't even have to be clean), retaining the WCW Title. DDP should have beaten someone like Chris Jericho to gain momentum. I don't know what the situation with Flair was (he came immediately after the storyline was over, kinda weird), he could have been a great mouthpiece for WCW. Also, instead of putting WWF guys like Test and The Dudley Boyz in WCW/The Alliance, they should have put over tag teams like Storm & Awesome and The Natural Born Thrillers, because they WERE WCW, while The Dudleys had been in the WWF for months and the crowd didn't really see them as outsiders. That's one of the biggest mistakes they made, not putting over actual WCW wrestlers. The WWF guys were protected too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts