Wrestling Forum banner

Let's Return to WM 24 for a Minute

3473 Views 49 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  steamed hams
Wrestlemania 24. Sort of an "off" year for the top of the card, with Edge/Undertaker main eventing and both men putting on a decent performance. Perhaps the most memorable moment of the card was Floyd Mayweather knocking out the Big Show, or maybe CM Punk winning Money in the Bank for the first time.

Oh, and they threw Cena/HHH/Orton in there. What an ending, right? Nobody saw that coming! HHH is about to get the pin on Cena, then Orton comes out of nowhere with the punt, and HE'S the man to pin Cena. What a great moment for Orton, one that surely breathed new life into one of the strongest reigns of the deca-oh wait, he lost the belt a month later.

So why am I bringing this up? Because! They threw Cena into this match, and he lost. There was much cheering from the IWC! But let's pretend for a second that he was the man who won the belt, only to lose it a month later to HHH. Because then Cena's WrestleMania record would look like this:

20: defeated Big Show
21: defeated JBL
22: defeated HHH
23: defeated HBK
25: defeated Edge and Big Show
26: defeated Batista
27: vs. Miz

Cena could be 7-0 at Wrestlemania and on his way to 8-0. Why should you care? If you're building up to Cena/Undertaker next year, you could have had Cena with a streak of his own, one that would convince marks, smarks, and casuals alike that he was the man to defeat Undertaker. You could build that match for months, and it would do bigger business than anything since Austin/Rocky. It would be the ultimate matchup. You really wouldn't be able to predict a winner. It's pissing me off so much right now, knowing that we were one shock Orton win away from it.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Wrestlemania 24. Sort of an "off" year for the top of the card, with Edge/Undertaker main eventing and both men putting on a decent performance. Perhaps the most memorable moment of the card was Floyd Mayweather knocking out the Big Show, or maybe CM Punk winning Money in the Bank for the first time.

Oh, and they threw Cena/HHH/Orton in there. What an ending, right? Nobody saw that coming! HHH is about to get the pin on Cena, then Orton comes out of nowhere with the punt, and HE'S the man to pin Cena. What a great moment for Orton, one that surely breathed new life into one of the strongest reigns of the deca-oh wait, he lost the belt a month later.

So why am I bringing this up? Because! They threw Cena into this match, and he lost. There was much cheering from the IWC! But let's pretend for a second that he was the man who won the belt, only to lose it a month later to HHH. Because then Cena's WrestleMania record would look like this:

Cena could be 7-0 at Wrestlemania and on his way to 8-0. Why should you care? If you're building up to Cena/Undertaker next year, you could have had Cena with a streak of his own, one that would convince marks, smarks, and casuals alike that he was the man to defeat Undertaker. You could build that match for months, and it would do bigger business than anything since Austin/Rocky. It would be the ultimate matchup. You really wouldn't be able to predict a winner. It's pissing me off so much right now, knowing that we were one shock Orton win away from it.
I guarantee you that there will be no mention of his triple threat match at WM24 and that when he faces Undertaker next year, announcers will push him as being "7-0 in singles competition all-time at WM."

· Know Your Worth
15,244 Posts
You don't need to have a side gimmick for Cena/Taker. The match would sell itself. The top guy in the company vs. The Streak.

· Premium Member
4,692 Posts
... Perhaps the most memorable moment of the card was Floyd Mayweather knocking out the Big Show, or maybe CM Punk winning Money in the Bank for the first time.

As for the rest of it, Cena/Taker doesn't need anything else added to it. Less is more. Their two names on the marquee would be enough to get a million buys.

· Registered
1,852 Posts
That's a good idea but a record that size would have just been dwarfed by all the talk about Undertaker's WM record anyway. Besides just the fact that the match is called John Cena vs. The Undertaker it wouldn't need a gimmick along with it.

· Leader of #TeamBAE
1,599 Posts
I thought Wrestlemania 24 was really good actually. Cena/Taker can sell itself. It doesn't need Streak vs. Streak, if we're going into detail, having Edge be in MITB at WM 23 and be knocked out, destroyed the potential they could have done for that at WM 24.

· Dragon Slayer
6,701 Posts
First off you will never convince smarks OR marks that Taker is losing at Mania. Smarks because they know better, marks because they think Taker is that good at Mania.

Second you don't need some stupid streak v streak gimmick for Cena/Taker. This is in essence next years Hogan vs Andre.

· Premium Member
46,609 Posts
That's a very good point and it showed that the WWE just had zero foresight or didn't realize what they had.

I made the EXACT same point when Edge was put into MITB at 23 & lost. Edge had been undefeated at Mania up to that point: 2000 he won Triangle Ladder Match with Christian, X-Seven he & Christian won TLC II, X-8 he beat Booker, 21 he won Money in the Bank, & at 22 he beat Foley in a Hardcore Match.

So Edge had a pretty awesome streak going himself and not only a streak, but he was winning some dangerous matches. TLC, Money in the Bank, Hardcore Matches and alot of those matches included multiple opponents. It was a pretty impressive feat for the character. So don't you think they should have realized what they had and thought "Hey, if we ever do Taker/Edge at Mania, we can sell it as Undefeated Vs. Undefeated". It would have added so much more to their Match at Mania XXIV if both men were truly undefeated at Wrestlemania. By that point, nobody else had come anywhere close to having that long of a streak, so they could have sold it as Edge probably being the one guy that could do it. But no, he lost at 23 (although ironically he would end up getting the MITB title shot anyway) and killed his streak. No foresight.

With Cena, its the same thing. I hate his character, but I've said a million times that if there is one guy on the current roster that would be a believable threat to the streak, its him. It would be interesting because I actually can see him beating Taker. Looking at Taker's Mania history, to me the only true threats to the streak were Kane at XIV, Triple H at X-Seven, & Orton at 21. So its been 6 years since I actually felt like there was a chance of Taker's streak ending.

If they had kept Cena undefeated, he'd be 7-0 now, which would have eclipsed Edge's previous streak. And I think there is a VERY good chance he's going to beat Miz, so lets say he would have been 8-0 coming out of XXVII. So Taker/Cena at XXVIII & OMG! Another chance for undefeated Vs. undefeated! It would have been something to sell and make the match more interesting. But again, no foresight on the WWE's part.

· Fear Me!
3,463 Posts
Undertaker vs. Cena could sell itself, it doesn't need no "Streak vs. Streak" story behind it. Though, it would add a little something to the fued heading into Wrestlemania, it wouldn't be needed.

If this match does in fact take place at Wrestlemania 28 next year, I could see the announcers selling the fact that Cena is undefeated in singles matches at Wrestlemania.

· Banned
1,143 Posts
Wrestlemania 24. Sort of an "off" year for the top of the card,
with Edge/Undertaker main eventing and both men putting on a decent performance. Perhaps the most memorable moment of the card was Floyd Mayweather knocking out the Big Show, or maybe CM Punk winning Money in the Bank for the first time.

Are you kidding me? If anything it was one of the best combination of mania main events that we've had since Wrestlemania 20.

· Registered
5,005 Posts
I don't think UT will make it to WM 28 honestly. He barely making it to 27. It would make them A LOT of money to have UT/Cena but I don't see it either UT won't make it or they will book Cena in another WM main event (title match) either way I don't think it'll take place. But let's say it does, it sells itself 1 million buys easy and it doesn't need a gimmick attached to it. If they were to do it, they should reverse the roles by having UT challenge Cena. UT has been challenged 3 straight years by guys who want to break the streak. They could bill it as UT's last WM win or lose.

· SAL
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a very good point and it showed that the WWE just had zero foresight or didn't realize what they had.
Well I'm not blaming WWE, just saying that they missed an opportunity to give the match more meaning. Look at the HHH/Taker build...they still haven't given me a reason why Taker agreed to the match, especially the year after HBK had to do everything short of digging up Taker's dead parents and superkicking them to get his match.

Are you kidding me? If anything it was one of the best combination of mania main events that we've had since Wrestlemania 20.

Well, I'd take the main events of WM 21, 22, 23, and 26 over 24, but sure!

· Ho!
20,682 Posts
I would say Mania 23's main events (or title matches) are the only one all around that beat Mania 24's (out of the ones mentioned). The World Title match was better, and the WWE Title match was better. But aside that 24 wins hands down on title matches, although Taker/Shawn WM26 did main event the show, and it was better then WM24's main event which was a title match so... bah, it's all confusing. I hope you get the point though. It beats Mania 21 and 22's main events though hands down in my opinion.

As for the possibility of streak vs. streak, just read TripleG's post, and I agree completely.

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Who cares if he lost in a triple threat match? It's still a loss. His damn shoulders were pinned to the mat by Orton and he was counted down. Which means HE lost. He's not undefeated at Mania and there's no way to really spin it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.