Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
pretending to be nice
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So alot of people here give crap to WWE for not pushing new talent and for not trying to create new stars.
Let's take a look at what they have tried in the last few years:

- The Nexus, these rookies got a huge push and became the main heels of the brand. I believe WWE thought that Wade Barrett would step up his game and perform well in the main events he got as the leader of Nexus, but instead reviews were bad and the public opinion was that the Nexus as a whole was too green. Of course other things affected the fact that the Nexus as a stable failed, but it was really Wade Barrett's ring work that made WWE push him down the card.

- Jack Swagger, even though he was a midcarder, he sounds like the perfect guy to push. He's athletic, can perform one hell of match, is a big guy with a good look and has atleast average mic skills compared to the entire roster, without his lisp he'd probably be much higher in that category. Regardless, he got the belt and in my opinion, had alot of great memorable segments in SmackDown and received good heat (but then again, it's hard to tell when it's SmackDown). But for one reason or another, the viewers never bought him as a main eventer. Maybe it's the lack of build-up, or maybe just that at the time there were many more credible main eventers in SmackDown; Swagger was feuding with Jericho, Edge, Big Show and Rey Mysterio, some of the WWE's biggest names at that time. But he dropped the belt and was depushed VERY low in the card.

- Alberto Del Rio, at the beginning he was great because he was fresh. Problem with ADR is that he never got any new stuff. He got stale and quick. Everyone was and is sick of his boring repetitive promos and the destiny "storyline" (if you could call it that). But he still got pushed down our throats. He even became the WWE champion, only to lose it the next PPV because WWE didn't feel safe with ADR as the champion, despite the huge push they've been giving him from day one. He's closer and closer to getting the Wade Barrett and Jack Swagger treatment and getting pushed down the card.

- John Morrison, it's funny how the WWE wants him to be a main eventer, and the fans want him to be a main eventer, yet he's never really going to be one. He's been pushed almost to the main event many times. Is it the WWE's fault that he was pushed down every time he was on the edge of main event status, or is it his fault that he never made that one last step to become one? Dolph Ziggler is right now doing the thing that Morrison should have done, stepping up his game. They are very similar in fact, both had the ring work and the look, but were missing mic skills and charisma. Ziggler has worked his ass off and has become one of the best. Morrison? Not so much.

- The Miz, in a way his position right now is debateable, but I'd say he is a success. Thing is, he really was the #1 heel for a very long period of time. He had a good reign that made him credible. The Miz could challenge John Cena right now and I'd buy The Miz as the #1 contender and a main eventer. He might be doing subway commercials right now, but he still has his heat and his uppercard status and he can be in the main event again once they need him.

- Christian, they finally managed to turn "that midcarder who we want to be in the main event but never will be" to an actual main eventer. However it's hard to say whether this was really a push for a new star. He's a WWE veteran who I thought was more popular as part of Edge & Christian years ago than as the World Heavyweight Champion this year. But yeah, they succesfully made him a main eventer and didn't even take that much pushing to do it.

- Mark Henry, we can't yet tell if he will have any longetivity, but right now he has become from the veteran in midcard who only ever won one European championship, to the #1 heel in the company and the World Heavyweight Champion. He's credible as hell, and his nickname "Ratings" isn't in vain as he managed to pull SmackDown to a 2.3 rating, way higher than normal. If he can stay in the main event atleast until Wrestlemania I'd say he really is a succesful new main event star. However, the thing with Mark Henry is, he's old (40 years old to be exact). Sure he's a new main eventer, but is he one of those guys who are gonna carry WWE once the veterans retire? No, he's one of those veterans. Would this push have been better for Brodus Clay or Mason Ryan or some other rising star?

- Sheamus, the Great White wasn't well received at the beginning. Not because of his borderline racist nickname, but because.. Well, who the hell knows? He rised to the top as the guy who got a fluke victory over Cena. At this point he didn't get much of a crowd reaction. He floated around the main event in RAW throughout the Nexus era. At times it was looking like he was another big push gone to waste, it was like he was on hold to be ready for Triple H's return and their feud, but it never came, only a one episode burial before Triple H moved on to face the Undertaker. Then Sheamus moved to SmackDown and turned face. The crowd loves him. I guess it's a bit like with Zack Ryder. All the fun (and "fun") stuff like Lobsterhead, Too many limes, or Jar of human mayonaise, all that stuff made him over with the kids. It looks like he got his redemption and is again floating around the main event, will he make it or end up vanishing again?

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
How does WWE make stars? Based on who Vince likes. He gives push after push to those he likes, regardless of whether it's deserved or not. Then if it fails, he'll reboot and push again. Those he doesn't like, he'll depush and bury regardless of whether it makes sense or not. It's easy to tell who those lucky men (and woman) are. If WWE had to do a mass firing, who would Vince save? The choices are obvious.

Vince's "stars"

John Cena
Randy Orton
Alberto Del Rio
The Miz
Rey Mysterio
Sin Cara
Sheamus
Cody Rhodes
Ted DiBiase Jr.
Jinder Mahal
Mason Ryan
Kelly Kelly

*Skip Sheffield is supposed to be on this list but he's injured so who knows what Vince is thinking now. He may never come back.

Subcategory:
*CM Punk
*Christian

CM Punk/Christian round out the list but they belong in a subcategory. I'm not sure Vince absolutely loves them and view them as stars but he knows that it's in his best interest to keep them around. It makes business sense to have them on roster.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
But DiBiase has been a midcarder for years now, it is time to move him up to main event but building him up proper since in Priceless the tag team with Rhodes back in 2008 he was mid-card and then 2009-10 came along with him in Legacy he was upper-midcard, and then now he is still midcard, I say time to make him a star

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
But DiBiase has been a midcarder for years now, it is time to move him up to main event but building him up proper since in Priceless the tag team with Rhodes back in 2008 he was mid-card and then 2009-10 came along with him in Legacy he was upper-midcard, and then now he is still midcard, I say time to make him a star
Difficult to make a guy with below average mic skills and charisma a star, especially when he has just turned face and honestly, hasn't really improved in anything other than in-ring work slightly for 2-3 years now. Even harder when considering his former tag partner has improved in leaps and bounds. WWE are probably comparing the 2 thinking, what the hell happened Ted? He needs to improve. Even if it's not his mic skills he needs to learn how to work a crowd as a face. Orton for example doesn't have the greatest mic skills but his facial expressions get the crowd hyped up.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Vince's "stars"

John Cena
Randy Orton
Alberto Del Rio
The Miz
Rey Mysterio
Sin Cara
Sheamus
Cody Rhodes
Ted DiBiase Jr.
Jinder Mahal
Mason Ryan
Kelly Kelly

*Skip Sheffield is supposed to be on this list but he's injured so who knows what Vince is thinking now. He may never come back.

Subcategory:
*CM Punk
*Christian

CM Punk/Christian round out the list but they belong in a subcategory. I'm not sure Vince absolutely loves them and view them as stars but he knows that it's in his best interest to keep them around. It makes business sense to have them on roster.
Not sure about some guys on your list but I'd put Rey Mysterio in the subcategory. I feel like Reyrey's not someone the WWE is completely keen on but since he's a HUGE cashcow, it is indeed with their best interest to push him from time to time.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
So alot of people here give crap to WWE for not pushing new talent and for not trying to create new stars.
Let's take a look at what they have tried in the last few years:

- The Nexus, these rookies got a huge push and became the main heels of the brand. I believe WWE thought that Wade Barrett would step up his game and perform well in the main events he got as the leader of Nexus, but instead reviews were bad and the public opinion was that the Nexus as a whole was too green. Of course other things affected the fact that the Nexus as a stable failed, but it was really Wade Barrett's ring work that made WWE push him down the card.
Nexus literally started going downhill when it debuted. It's debut was the best thing about it. Now I think you're totally off on why the Nexus failed. It failed due to poor booking, simple as that. Wade Barrett isn't a worse in-ring worker than the Miz. In fact, sometimes Cena isn't such a good in-ring worker either, especially when he's SuperCena. Cena is a good wrestler (see: vs CM Punk), but did you see his "A" game shine through when he worked with Miz or R-Truth? The answer is no. Anyway, Wade Barrett had a pretty good non-gimmicked singles match with Cena, so the bad wrestler argument is moot.

Bad reviews of the Nexus, too green, bullshit. This was not the key factor in the failure of the Nexus. What was the failure? Poor booking. Let's see - at Summerslam, a makeshift WWE team ruined all of Nexus' momentum and credibility by beating the group in their first try, with SuperCena shining by beating both Gabriel and Barrett after a DDT on concrete.

The next mistake? Not giving the Barrett the WWE title. We already had the group not being taken seriously, and its leader also failed to win any singles title despite Barrett's character almost perfectly fitting into the main-event. Barrett was a badass top heel, one of the very best talkers in the WWE. Watch this and tell me that Barrett isn't epic.

In a sense, WWE never gave the group or its leader proper credibility. That's what doomed the original Nexus. I don't think I need to talk about the New Nexus.

- Jack Swagger, even though he was a midcarder, he sounds like the perfect guy to push. He's athletic, can perform one hell of match, is a big guy with a good look and has atleast average mic skills compared to the entire roster, without his lisp he'd probably be much higher in that category. Regardless, he got the belt and in my opinion, had alot of great memorable segments in SmackDown and received good heat (but then again, it's hard to tell when it's SmackDown). But for one reason or another, the viewers never bought him as a main eventer. Maybe it's the lack of build-up, or maybe just that at the time there were many more credible main eventers in SmackDown; Swagger was feuding with Jericho, Edge, Big Show and Rey Mysterio, some of the WWE's biggest names at that time. But he dropped the belt and was depushed VERY low in the card.
Viewers never took Swagger seriously? Maybe that's because Swagger wasn't booked to have any credibility? A champion of his size could be a dominant heel champion, but no, WWE chose not to give Swagger the aura of the a champion. Swagger was bloody over, by the way.

- Alberto Del Rio, at the beginning he was great because he was fresh. Problem with ADR is that he never got any new stuff. He got stale and quick. Everyone was and is sick of his boring repetitive promos and the destiny "storyline" (if you could call it that). But he still got pushed down our throats. He even became the WWE champion, only to lose it the next PPV because WWE didn't feel safe with ADR as the champion, despite the huge push they've been giving him from day one. He's closer and closer to getting the Wade Barrett and Jack Swagger treatment and getting pushed down the card.
Stale, yes. Another problem? He took too long to win a world championship, Edge and Christian delayed him, rendering him stuck floating in the upper-midcard feuding with someone obviously below him in Kofi Kingston. That was a momentum killer. Then when he won MITB, it was even worse - he was still stuck in the upper-midcard without a feud, and he even lost to CM Punk clean in five minutes if I remember correctly. Don't get me started on that absolute shit excuse of a title reign. How do you expect ADR to be a star after that?

- John Morrison, it's funny how the WWE wants him to be a main eventer, and the fans want him to be a main eventer, yet he's never really going to be one. He's been pushed almost to the main event many times. Is it the WWE's fault that he was pushed down every time he was on the edge of main event status, or is it his fault that he never made that one last step to become one? Dolph Ziggler is right now doing the thing that Morrison should have done, stepping up his game. They are very similar in fact, both had the ring work and the look, but were missing mic skills and charisma. Ziggler has worked his ass off and has become one of the best. Morrison? Not so much.
You said it bro. He's been pushed almost to the main event many times. Almost. Almost. Almost. But WWE never bothered to do it. Ziggler is getting promo time, is Morrison getting promo time? Does WWE bother to give Morrison a character? Hell no.

- Christian, they finally managed to turn "that midcarder who we want to be in the main event but never will be" to an actual main eventer. However it's hard to say whether this was really a push for a new star. He's a WWE veteran who I thought was more popular as part of Edge & Christian years ago than as the World Heavyweight Champion this year. But yeah, they succesfully made him a main eventer and didn't even take that much pushing to do it.
Christian is in the main-event, yes, but his credibility is shot to pieces, needing to win the championship by DQ, hiding behind a lawyer, two short title reigns, constant whining and bitching and moaning for one more match adds up to a horrible, terrible character.

Mark Henry, the Miz and Sheamus
Now... these seem to be successes in my opinion.

Now OP, why haven't you mentioned CM Punk?

·
pretending to be nice
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now OP, why haven't you mentioned CM Punk?
Says in the first post, I only listed attempts from the last few years. I came back to wrestling in 2009 when Punk was feuding with Jeff Hardy and was already a main eventer, so I don't know the beginning of that tale. However now that I think about it, Punk had the same fate as many others. He was pushed to the main event, but after the Hardy and Taker feuds in 2009, he went back to midcard being Mysterio's bitch for a year. Then the injury. Then another push to main event to face Cena as Nexus leader, but Cena was changed to Orton. After WM Punk was against lost in the midcard, until his famous shoot. Maybe this time he'll become a real top star?

Tl;dr of your post: You blame it all on WWE booking. Oh and I totally agree with you too, the booking has been terrible. But it's ALSO because of the wrestlers not performing well enough. Do you really think they would have de-pushed Lesnar or The Rock or Austin after they won their first world titles? Hell no. They really need to push the right people.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Says in the first post, I only listed attempts from the last few years. I came back to wrestling in 2009 when Punk was feuding with Jeff Hardy and was already a main eventer, so I don't know the beginning of that tale. However now that I think about it, Punk had the same fate as many others. He was pushed to the main event, but after the Hardy and Taker feuds in 2009, he went back to midcard being Mysterio's bitch for a year. Then the injury. Then another push to main event to face Cena as Nexus leader, but Cena was changed to Orton. After WM Punk was against lost in the midcard, until his famous shoot. Maybe this time he'll become a real top star?

Tl;dr of your post: You blame it all on WWE booking. Oh and I totally agree with you too, the booking has been terrible. But it's ALSO because of the wrestlers not performing well enough. Do you really think they would have de-pushed Lesnar or The Rock or Austin after they won their first world titles? Hell no. They really need to push the right people.
Lesnar, Rock, and Austin changed the definition of the "right people." That's why Cena is the Golden Boy of the company. He has no other ambitions but to "be WWE Champion." Vince got tired of getting burned by talent, so he threw all of his eggs into one basket.

Pretty much everyone these days gets horrible depushed immediately following a push. Even Sheamus went from WWE Champion to losing consistently for months before gradually rebuilding himself as a face. The problem isn't the talent. It's one hundred percent on the booking. They feel some obnoxious need to "test" everyone now, probably to make sure they won't "pull an Austin" whenever things don't go their way. The problem is that they really should be weeding out the people with poor attitudes BEFORE giving them a massive push.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts

You should list CM Punk. He broke out against Jeff Hardy... then he kind of fell off the radar.. And broke out again.

You think it's the wrestler's fault for not performing well enough. But you must consider that WWE booking doesn't even allow the wrestlers to get over, to gain credibility, to show a character, to wow the crowd. How do you expect wrestlers to succeed if they're only given half an opportunity?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts