Wrestling Forum banner

Let's Hash it Out: In Your Estimation, Who "Has" to Go Over at Wrestlemania XXVII?

4100 Views 70 Replies 52 Participants Last post by  Prince King
Here's the card, just for the sake of clarity:

John Cena vs. The Miz--WWE Championship

Alberto Del Rio vs. Edge--World Heavyweight Championship

The Undertaker vs. Triple H (The Streak)

CM Punk vs. Randy Orton

Jerry "The King" Lawler vs. Michael Cole w/ Jack Swagger (Special Guest Referee: Stone Cold Steve Austin)

Rey Mysterio vs. Cody Rhodes

John Morrison, Trish Stratus & Snooki vs. Dolph Ziggler & LayCool w/ Vickie Guerrero

And two matches that are all but official:

The Corre vs. The Big Show, Kane and... Christian & Kofi Kingston? Tough to say but perhaps.

Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus--United States Championship

So, who in your estimation "has" to go over at Wrestlemania?

In my eyes, there aren't that many cases of certain guys needing or having to go over this year. Discounting The Undertaker and Lawler/Cole matches, which both have something of preordained outcomes, let us survey the card. Looking up and down, there seem to be, Undertaker/Triple H and Lawler/Cole (the ending of which should be obvious) aside, only three matches stand out to me as matches that fundamentally have to be won by one side.

They are these:

Whatever they come up with for The Corre

Corre simply has to go over. A group of generally directionless babyface midcarders should be utilized merely to put the big bad heel stable of Smackdown over. Anything else would be idiotic. Preferably, Barrett pins Big Show to close out their rivalry at Wrestlemania. This is something of a very, very poor man's version of Evolution vs. Rock 'n' Sock Connection, and while this is on a dramatically smaller scale, the same principle that dictated that Evolution go over in that instance must be applied to this case. The Corre have to be built up throughout most of 2011 on Smackdown, and this is the first major step in doing so.

CM Punk vs. Randy Orton

As this feud has continued, the outcome of the match has become more important. Randy Orton has been booked as a superhuman beyond almost anything in WWE not associated with The Undertaker or John Cena, and frankly he's been booked even more strongly than they have been for most of his babyface run. The last seven weeks or so demonstrate this truism more pointedly, as Orton has singlehandedly--or singlefootedly--taken out the entire "New Nexus" sans Punk. The way this angle has been booked thus far, it seems like they almost have to let Punk score the victory over Orton at Wrestlemania. Otherwise, the storyline is essentially: Punk screws Orton at The Royal Rumble, and Orton absolutely crushes Punk's stable leading to his triumphant victory over Punk at Wrestlemania. Since they've booked Orton as a fearsome beast, and when they had Punk back away from him in that tense, well-executed confrontation this week, it made me realize how much they need to have Punk go over Orton. After going over Cena three times by hook or by crook on television this winter, Punk taking the victory over Orton at Wrestlemania would truly cement his place as one of WWE's uppermost villains. And if well-conceived, such a move would do no harm to Orton. At this juncture, it needs to happen.

Alberto Del Rio vs. Edge--World Heavyweight Championship

I'll just quote myself from a few days ago in a Smackdown thread.

"To be perfectly honest, the better Edge's World Championship reign is booked--and this is by far the best-booked reign he's ever had--the better the downfall is. No Royal Rumble winner has won at Wrestlemania since 2007. Alberto Del Rio, unlike Wade Barrett--who I like a lot--can work in the ring to the degree that he can have very solid matches with nearly everyone on the roster, whereas only Jericho, Cena and Mysterio have been able to draw out something substantially commendable from Barrett in the ring since his arrival on television.

Barrett has to be rebuilt with The Corre on Smackdown over the course of anywhere between at least four to six months, following the fairly steep fall he took following the conclusion of his all-encompassing feud with Cena on Raw at last year's end. Del Rio's been built up ever since New Year's or so beginning with his arrogant proclamations that winning The Royal Rumble was his destiny. He won it. Del Rio is now rising and declaring that winning the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania XXVII is his destiny. The prudent way to book this now is to have Del Rio proven right again. And he should express with each major championship defense that it is his destiny to retain, over and over. Build him up to the point that any babyface who finishes off his reign is a superhero to the audience. From there, reenter Wade Barrett and The Corre who by that point, having been steadily rebuilt in the upper midcard, can pose a realistic threat to the superhero.

If Del Rio loses at Wrestlemania, WWE might as well say that The Royal Rumble is hereby irrelevant. That would be four years in a row of a Royal Rumble-sanctified challenger going on to Wrestlemania merely to lose. To protect their investment in Del Rio, to protect their investment in Edge's wonderfully-booked reign, to protect their investment in Wade Barrett and The Corre, to protect their potential investment in a babyface chasing Del Rio and to protect their investment in The Royal Rumble pay-per-view, Del Rio must go over at Wrestlemania, by hook or by crook."

So that's it for me.

What do you think? Who "has to go over" in your opinion?
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,845 Posts
Re: Let's Hash it Out: In Your Estimation, Who "Has" to Go Over at Wrestlemania XXVII

Alberto Del Rio. is 34 and doesn't have time to waste fucking around in the mid card. He must be strapped.

Sheamus should retain, or at the very least perform excellently in a long match against Bryan.

The Miz beating Cena at Wrestlemania would cement him as a 5 month champ and make him a permanently credible heel character in the main event.

Those are my three.

· Registered
797 Posts
Re: Let's Hash it Out: In Your Estimation, Who "Has" to Go Over at Wrestlemania XXVII

The miz, hes been showing that he can be top dog these past few weeks and although i doubt he will win at WM he should go over

· 1/100
8,001 Posts

Guys that 100% HAVE to go over (not because it's what I want to see, or because it's what the majority want to see, but who they have been setting up to go over)

- John Cena: Seems odd because he doesn't need anything and has had enough, but he has to go over so they can fulfill the Cena/Rock deal that most people should be seeing coming a mile away at the end of this WrestleMania like Austin/Tyson did back in 98. Cena will/has to go over so we can see The Rock raising his hand at the end. That footage will go down in WWE history and will be a historic moment. Sorry Miz, but you are just a pawn in the Rock/Cena chess game.

- The Undertaker: He has to go over because it's WrestleMania. As it is, the match is happening just cause and nobody really cares anymore about it because of the lack luster build up so him winning is even more of a give in.

- Alberto Del Rio: They have put too much time and too much money into trying to get this guy over. Whether it be Del Rio/Edge or Del Rio/Edge/Christian, the bookers need to pull the trigger on him winning the title at WrestleMania.

- Jerry Lawler: He simply has to beat the fuck out of Michael Cole and go over. No question about it. Swagger will take a stunner and go out early, we will then see 5 minutes of King just fucking Cole up and pinning. Cole will take a few stunners and the program will be done.

- Wade Barrett or Big Zeke: Whoever is in the Corre match and whatever match type, Barrett or Zeke needs to get the pin clean cause they need it the most.

- John Morrison, Snoozie, and Trish Stratus: It's the celebrity gimmick attraction this year, and they are going over with Snookie getting the pin on Layla or McCool (Snookie has to get the pin, otherwise nobody will care to show the footage/put it over on their other networks)

Would be nice to go over, but doesn't HAVE to go over

- Cody Rhodes: If they are for real about solidifying Rhodes as more than a midcard guy, then he goes over. Otherwise, Rey goes over.

Doesn't matter who goes over

- CM Punk/Randy Orton: Match is just kinda there. Has had okay build up, but nobody will really benefit IMO. Would be nice for Punk to go over, but if he doesn't maybe as he's wallowing in defeat the Nexus members hit the ring and turn on Punk (signifying the end of the group). They each go on their separate ways and get drafted to different shows, released, or stay in FCW. One way or another WrestleMania Sunday needs to be the last time we see anything Nexus. Drop the shirts, the graphics, the armbands ect and its time for Punk and Co to walk alone.

· ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
11,396 Posts

Jerry Lawler has to win, no doubt about that.
Undertaker obviously.
Cena since whatever happens with the Rock will be ending the show.
The Corre - Unless they are looking to kill this group off at WM, then they have to win.
ADR I guess.

Others could go either way.

· My name is 905 and I've just become alive
5,139 Posts

I am in complete agreement with those saying Del Rio has to win. To me, this means that Cena also has to win. WWE can't have heels win both title matches at Wrestlemania. It's never happened before as far as I can remember, and there is a reason for this. You can't have heels dominate the big payoff show.

· Recognize
21,207 Posts

ADR
Seamus
Miz

Unfortunately the last on that list isn't going to but if they continue to book him they way that they have recently then I don't think he will suffer too badly. Week by week he's establishing himself further and further. If they keep it up and don't have Cena completely bury him in the match then I think things will turn out alright for Miz. The other two need it though and need it bad.

· Premium Member
46,384 Posts

Who absolutely, must go over at any costs to the point that if any other decision takes place, its F'n stupid to the max?

Well...

Undertaker = If Triple H ends the streak, then that two decade storyline they've built around the streak will have been for nothing. Triple H & Undertaker are knocking on Retirement's door, so giving Triple H a win that would mean more than winning a world title at this point would be a complete waste. WWE isn't that stupid to give Triple H that victory, I don't think.

Jerry Lawler = If they did this massive build up (more build up than any other match on the card really) just to give Michael Cole a fucking win, I'll roll my eyes so far back in my skull, I'll lose my pupils forever.

Other than that, it doesn't really matter.

Cena is gonna beat Miz, so what's the use in fighting it? I would love it if that didn't happen, but Miz getting over on Cena so much lately just tells me that he's dropping the title.

They have done a TERRIBLE job in setting up Del Rio IMO, but Edge has been champion...well let me put it this way. If you've held it as many times as Edge, then you may as well have had it a 100 times, so who cares if he drops it? I think Del Rio is walking out with the title. Would it really be a crime if he beat Edge? I don't think so. Would it be a crime if Edge beat him? Again, I don't think so.

Orton Vs. Punk is an either/or situation. It depends on who they have a bigger plan for post Mania and I'd be fine with either one going over.

Trish, Snooki, Morrison Vs. Laycool & Ziggler = Its two directionless singles stars with a lot of talent being forced to carry an awful Diva's match. Actually, this feels like 3 matches that got thrown in a blender together. Trish's return to Mania, IMO, is big enough on its own. Morrison & Ziggler are good enough to be off doing their own thing, and the Jersey Shore skank should be a separate attraction altogether (preferably not in the ring). Because of my sheer apathy over this, I don't care who goes over. The faces will win (BTW, America views Snooki as a heel, so why is she a babyface in the WWE?), but I'm just upset that Morrison & Ziggler just got tacked onto this rather than WWE having any kind of plan for them. You could really stick any two guys into this storyline & it wouldn't make a difference. In the match it will because they can carry it, but they are better than this.

Rey Vs. Cody...again, it doesn't really matter. I guess it would do more for Cody to give him the win, but they've knocked him down so many times, I've learned not to expect it.

Sheamus Vs. Bryan, hell they are directionless anyway, so it doesn't matter. We don't even know if this match will be taking place at Wrestlemania.

The Corre Vs. A Bunch of SD Stars = This match seems like...again, I don't really care because the Corre is one of the worst factions I've ever seen. Logic would say they'd have to go over to be viewed as a dominant faction, but I don't even think they are worth promoting as such in the first place. So again, whatever you decide to do. I don't care.

Lot of apathy here, lol.

· Registered
1,037 Posts

Miz
ADR
Corre
Cody

Miz is starting to look more and more like a champion, and a win over Cena would really cement him as a top heel. Del Rio, as mentioned before, is too old to be waiting too long for the title, he needs it now. The Corre, whoever is in a match from the group, need to go over, they need to start to look credible. Cody also needs to go over Rey, he's a great future prospect, and a win over Rey could really kickstart a big push.

· Registered
4,209 Posts

If Del Rio loses at Wrestlemania, WWE might as well say that The Royal Rumble is hereby irrelevant. That would be four years in a row of a Royal Rumble-sanctified challenger going on to Wrestlemania merely to lose. To protect their investment in Del Rio, to protect their investment in Edge's wonderfully-booked reign, to protect their investment in Wade Barrett and The Corre, to protect their potential investment in a babyface chasing Del Rio and to protect their investment in The Royal Rumble pay-per-view, Del Rio must go over at Wrestlemania, by hook or by crook."
Okay this thought has been plaguing me for quite some time but here it goes:

What if ADR winning the World Title is not on the books yet? And the Rumble Win was just given to ADR to give him some credibility - an achievement, something to set himself apart from the other front runners of the Youth Movement. Just like what the Inaugural NXT Win is to Wade Barrett, KOTR is to Sheamus, and MITB is to Miz and Swagger.

Austin himself won the Rumble in 1997(albeit in controversy) but didn't get his Wrestlemania Main Event, and World Title shot til the following year.

That being said, ADR has to go over Edge, even if Christian was added to the match, he should not be the fall guy, ADR has more to gain by pinning the champion and the bigger star of the match.

· Banned
13,614 Posts

Edge- Since by the fact hes never won a World title match at WM. Plus Del rio winning his first title in the wwe a world championship at his first wm seems a bit to much for him and alot of others who have been on the mid card for awhile and have been working harder than del rio and have not gotten their World title win might be pissed off so i say Edge wins.
Miz- Simply because the belts on him already and i just dont wanna see another cena title win at wm simpley for no reason at all.
Punk- just because hes to good to lose

· Asuka
123,116 Posts

Del Rio HAS to go over for 2 reasons. The first reason is because he's going to get a MUCH bigger rub and become a much bigger star for winning the title at WM than any other time. The second is for the sake of the Royal Rumble. We haven't had a Rumble winner since 2007. If the 2011 Royal Rumble winner loses, I don't even care who wins the next one. I don't care if it's Christian, Alex Riley, Wade Barrett, I DON'T care. All of the meaning of it will be gone. If Del Rio loses, the Rumble might as well be a Beat The Clock challenge.

Undertaker HAS to go over because they simply MUST do a Cena vs Taker match for 20-0. This is non negotiable as far as I'm concerned.

Daniel Bryan HAS to go over Sheamus if he wants to progress anywhere. He's lost SO much momentum it's crazy. If he loses, it'll cement him as pretty much a permanent lowcarder. Now, granted, I don't exactly care much either way, I'm just speaking from the perspective of what's best for him. Sheamus doesn't need it, he's got enough of a resume that he can get back in the main event pretty much whenever.

Barrett/Corre HAS to go over. They've lost too much momentum recently and they need to build Barrett back up, especially with MITB coming up. I don't see the SmackDown MITB going to anybody but Barrett, so he needs to have momentum by then and a win at WM could get him back on track.

Lawler obviously HAS to go over because Michael Cole is a joke (A damn good joke, but still a joke). This match is specifically set up just for him to get his WrestleMania moment, so unfortunately, he has to win. I WANT Cole to win, however, but I know there's 0% chance of that happening and it would piss off a lot of people if he did.

As far as the stupid mixed tag match, if they brought in Snooki and her team LOST, it would be worthless in even bringing her in. There's more media attention to be had in her team winning, and clearly, with John Morrison being a big time guy from Tough Enough and Trish Stratus being a trainer for Tough Enough which starts after WrestleMania, this team HAS to go over for the show to be plugged properly. I couldn't care less about this match, though.

-------------------------------------------

Punk and Miz don't HAVE to go over, I guess, but they SHOULD. No doubt in my mind they should. Miz will be solidified forever as a major star with a win over Cena at WrestleMania. Even if it's because of The Rock, if he ends up winning, he's set forever. He can still be a major star and he's still going to be a major star, but this is the smart move.

Punk is.....Punk. If he loses 5000000 times Jericho style, he'll never lose his overness because he's above everyone else on the talent scale by a wide margin and the crowd knows it. However, Orton doesn't need this win at all. It will be a lazy, wasteful, poor booking decision if he wins. It'll do a world of good for Punk and nothing for Orton.

I don't care about Rey vs Rhodes, but it'd be wiser to give Cody the win because Rey will get nothing out of it. I expect Rey to win and truthfully, to me, it doesn't matter. I just see more positive from a business perspective in letting Cody go over. Any time you have a guy who will get something from a huge win vs a guy who won't, it makes sense to give the win to the one who will benefit from it.

· Banned
18,124 Posts

Del Rio and Cody Rhodes.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.