Wrestling Forum banner

Let's face it, Reigns is better than Cena as the face of WWE

13778 148
Cena with colorful shirts and caps, horrible cheesy promos. At least Roman is a tough guy dressed in black.

We learned to accept Cena, but he was embarrasing when we just had guys like Austin, Rock and Lesnar as the top guys.

I just hope the booking is a little more balanced with other guys.

I want to clarify I am not a Reigns fan, but seriously I can't stand Cena's look...

61 - 80 of 149 Posts

· Registered
1,866 Posts
Cause Cena dresses like the deluded super hero that kids think a 40 year old man should look like?

Roman looks more like a hero than anyone, and with Rock thee hero on the big scree, I think many people do see him in same light. I really do think people will lose all respect for Roman the day he shows up without a shirt, it'd be like Tony Stark losing his suit.
But Tony Stark without his suit is still awesome though!!

· Registered
122 Posts
Cannot compare between these two right now. Cena is still miles ahead. Meanwhile Reigns still have many years to improve, but based on current looks, yeah i prefer reigns.

· TAFKA KroKro
2,699 Posts
But Cena actually has talent and charisma. Watching Roman Reigns is like watching Pinocchio turn into a real boy. He might as well be a cardboard cutout.
I actually don't think Reigns is talentless or void of charisma but Cena is definitely a huge step up. The issue with Cena was his booking... but I enjoy Cena, I enjoy the matches he can bring. I just hated his superhero booking.

· Banned
584 Posts
Definitely Reigns is much more in mould of guys like Batista and Goldberg than he is to guys like the typical FOTC Cena of 05-12. At the end of the day, it's what the management feels would work the best with the larger worldwide audience as far as financial considerations go. Other than that, it all boils down to your tastes and preferences. I'd definitely prefer the Reigns of 2016 - now to let's say a Cena of 2010. The most entertaining I found Cena was in 04-06 and then from 15-onwards when he started to add layers of smugness and pride to his character. Reigns' character work since his WM 32 win as the cocky tweener has been much more compelling to me as compared to what Cena was at his peak.

· Banned
5,031 Posts
When Roman can turn a hostile 70 30 crowd into an overall positive crowd with skill on the mic or busting his ass in the ring then I will agree
He does that frequently with his matches, I don't think he'll ever do that on the mic because that's not his character at all. He's much more likely to be rude and trollish to hostile crowds, he seems to enjoy doing it, too. That's fine with me, IMO, that's closer to how I would behave than how Cena acts. Cena's "rise above the hate," and how he equates that to the way he's dealt with audience hostility is smarmy and off-putting to me.

In response to the OP: Reigns is a different kind of character, but he's just as much for the kids as Cena is. Roman looks like a superhero (or villain), he's like a comic book character or an action figure come to life. His move set and his taunts in the ring are things that are appealing to children, not to say they can't appeal to adults too, but it's the kind of flamboyant thing that kids will gravitate to.

As an adult I find him much more to my liking than Cena because his more serious personality is more like how most people would behave. The few people I know that act as cheerful as Cena in the face of hostility come off fake and inauthentic.

I like his promos better than Cena's. I can't get past when JC does the faux-southern preacher voice. I have no idea why he doesn't cut promos in his normal accent, but what he does is like a parody of either Black American English or Southern American English and it provokes a negative response in me when he starts mimicking a dialect that's not his own. I didn't mind it when he was doing the thugonomics gimmick, then it was a self-aware parody and made perfect sense that that character would do, now it makes him unwatchable for me.

'Taste the Rainbow' Cena has never bothered me because it's so obvious why he's doing it. He keeps the same shirt for years at a time so there's no need for a new design or template, they can just stick it on different colors. That keeps his brand recognizable while making people more likely to buy the same exact Cena shirt multiple times.

In the same vein, that's why Reigns keeps the vest. It's not at all to leech off the Shield's popularity, it's because he's the real live action figure and those vests sell for twice as much as a T-shirt. Anyone that can be appealing to children (although the company surely doesn't mind if the adults like them, too) is going to have a ton of uncreative, garish looking merch.

Even though the writers have moved Reigns away from the blatant Cena territory since WM32 he's still not been completely immune to the crude sexual humor and childish jokes that make up a good portion of wrestling humor. I don't see any reason to believe that the differences between them are going to change the show from it's PG state in even a small way.

· Registered
12,139 Posts
Yea, he is better except for the mic skills and storytelling. But then again, he doesnt have to be as good or better than Cena. Cena was nowhere close to Rock or Austin but stayed at the top for 10 years anyways.

I bite and throw chairs and rescue dogs
19,570 Posts
He does that frequently with his matches, I don't think he'll ever do that on the mic because that's not his character at all. He's much more likely to be rude and trollish to hostile crowds, he seems to enjoy doing it, too. That's fine with me, IMO, that's closer to how I would behave than how Cena acts. Cena's "rise above the hate," and how he equates that to the way he's dealt with audience hostility is smarmy and off-putting to me.

In response to the OP: Reigns is a different kind of character, but he's just as much for the kids as Cena is. Roman looks like a superhero (or villain), he's like a comic book character or an action figure come to life. His move set and his taunts in the ring are things that are appealing to children, not to say they can't appeal to adults too, but it's the kind of flamboyant thing that kids will gravitate to.

As an adult I find him much more to my liking than Cena because his more serious personality is more like how most people would behave. The few people I know that act as cheerful as Cena in the face of hostility come off fake and inauthentic.

I like his promos better than Cena's. I can't get past when JC does the faux-southern preacher voice. I have no idea why he doesn't cut promos in his normal accent, but what he does is like a parody of either Black American English or Southern American English and it provokes a negative response in me when he starts mimicking a dialect that's not his own. I didn't mind it when he was doing the thugonomics gimmick, then it was a self-aware parody and made perfect sense that that character would do, now it makes him unwatchable for me.

'Taste the Rainbow' Cena has never bothered me because it's so obvious why he's doing it. He keeps the same shirt for years at a time so there's no need for a new design or template, they can just stick it on different colors. That keeps his brand recognizable while making people more likely to buy the same exact Cena shirt multiple times.

In the same vein, that's why Reigns keeps the vest. It's not at all to leech off the Shield's popularity, it's because he's the real live action figure and those vests sell for twice as much as a T-shirt. Anyone that can be appealing to children (although the company surely doesn't mind if they adults like them, too) is going to have a ton of uncreative, garish looking merch.

Even though the writers have moved Reigns away from the blatant Cena territory since WM32 he's still not been completely immune to the crude sexual humor and childish jokes that make up a good portion of wrestling humor. I don't see any reason to believe that the differences between them are going to change the show from it's PG state in even a small way.
Therein lies the problem. Romans good at being that arrogant cocky prick. His got the clout where he can adapt to the hate as Cena does and doesn't manipulate the audience to an appropriate response. Vince won't depush him if his smarmy like Cena as you say

· Baby Yoda
31,263 Posts
Super Cena aka Fruity Peebles dweeb was horrible.... But that wasn't the role that got Cena the position as the FOTC...

They tried to make Roman another Cena but failed horribly because Roman doesn't have the mic skills or charisma to make it even slightly acceptable. Now they're trying to get him over as a "bad ass" and are failing because there's nothing organic about the character or his rise to the top.

· Registered
2,326 Posts
i accepted cena in 2015 when he had so many killer matches with owens,zayn,neville,rollins and many others.
This guy improved. He may look childish but its still Cena > Roman.
it begins with the Promo Skills (Cena is Top10, Reigns is maybe Bottom 10 lol )
It continiues with In Ring Skills (Cena delivered beginning in 2015 so many great matches while Reigns was busy getting over and doing to same things)
and charisma wise Cena wins again.
He actually gets 50/50 reactions which Reigns doesnt get the most time.
When Cena appears Kids and Women lose their mind and then the "john cena sucks" chants happens.
When Reigns appears it seems like the entire building is booing the fuck outta him untill 100-300 divorced women and girls in the arena starting to chant their name. Yep it is 70/30 at best.

He is now 3 years straight the "face of the company" still Cena in 2008 was more "face of the company" than Reigns ever was up to this day.

· Registered
631 Posts
OP clearly doesn't understand what it means to be the face of the company. You need to appeal everyone and Cena has a good gimmick going for the kids, "never give up" while Roman's is just bland and idiotic "I'm the guy" :lmao :lmao Reigns attire inspires me he is still stuck in the Shield gimmick and he uses it to take easily the bumps. So no OP, don't lie to yourself, you are just a Cena hater.

Reactions: DammitChrist

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,673 Posts
It's so funny how mainstream appeal and merch sales never mattered until Roman was compared to Cena, but when he blows away literally everyone else, it isn't that big a deal :lol. News flash: it took Cena 13 YEARS to be featured in a major film. He didn't just wake up and get mainstream media offers after dropping Basic Thuganomics.

61 - 80 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.