Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it everyone always wants to see The Rock, Austin, Sting, HBK, etc.. come back and wrestle past their prime. I get you want to see your idols again, but you have to face the music, they can't do it like they used to.

The Rock is the one that came back, he had one decent match and had to keep pushing. What was to be "One More Match" turned into about 4, the last of which against Cena being brutally boring and predictable. It was just overbooked, too much, wasn't that natural flow. He is a great athlete, but he lost his passion for the business and found another.

The ones that really bug me though, are people wanting Sting in WWE or Austin to come back. Idk if you have watched a Sting match basically since WCW, the guy is old and doesn't have it in him to have a 5 star match whenever anymore like people expect, hell look at Taker, he has a barnburner at Mania every year and he's slower each time. Austin had no knees when he left, what makes you think he can come in having not wrestled in 10 years and have a great match with anyone? And why would you want him to?

Basically what I'm saying is if you respect them so much, why don't you respect their decisions and stop living in a fantasy world. They aren't in their prime anymore and they will almost never live up to that old hype. Many of them have stayed too long as it is (Hogan, Sting, Taker, Flair especially, glad he's done)

Does it frustrate you guys too? Others expecting the performance of a lifetime from an old man, and if they don't get it it's the end of the world.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Re: Let the legends live in peace..

I agree to be honest, if somebody says they aren't interested or aren't able to return, fans should just leave the memories alone and move on. These people sacrifice a lot to be in this business and entertain fans, so people should stop acting so entitled to more from them.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

Fans didnt hold a gun to Flair's head and force him to get back in the ring.
Legends come back because THEY miss the business, (or perhaps they miss the money). When you spend 30 years of 300+ days a year on the road wrestling, its hard to find something else to do with your time.
And since Hogan got fucked in his divorce, who else is going to pay him but a wrestling show?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

A lot of it is nostalgia and people will pay money to see it. Personally, and I know they're old, I'd love to see Sting/Taker even now because they are my childhood. Judging from your sig it'd be like seeing Eddie vs Jericho or Benoit. You're telling me you wouldn't want to see that one more time?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Fans didnt hold a gun to Flair's head and force him to get back in the ring.
Legends come back because THEY miss the business, (or perhaps they miss the money). When you spend 30 years of 300+ days a year on the road wrestling, its hard to find something else to do with your time.
And since Hogan got fucked in his divorce, who else is going to pay him but a wrestling show?
I was referring to the fans, not so much the wrestlers. They have such high standards for some of these guys if they come back and then all they do is bitch as if it wasn't obvious their past their peak.

and Hogan could make money in acting, he is still a household name. I'd rather see him on a soap opera than wrestling in the ring at this point, because all you'd hear is oh Hogan is back! and then wow, they didn't do anything. Fans are very entitled.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

A lot of it is nostalgia and people will pay money to see it. Personally, and I know they're old, I'd love to see Sting/Taker even now because they are my childhood. Judging from your sig it'd be like seeing Eddie vs Jericho or Benoit. You're telling me you wouldn't want to see that one more time?
honestly no, they had their matches and they were great and I'm happy with them. I wouldn't want them stepping in that ring only to find out they can't go like they used to. I dread the day when Jericho retires for good, but I will be ok with it. I won't want him to come back and have a sloppy match and damage his legacy as he's one of the best ever. When Jericho doesn't want to step in anymore, I will thank him for all the great matches and will never expect him to come back. If he does and can still go, cool stop there, but my main point is people expect them to come back and be like their 20 again.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts

I understand what you're saying here and I agree to a degree, the fans do 'sometimes' demand or expect too much, I felt the same in regards to the WWE Network thread here and fans were saying how they wouldn't even pay $10 for it because they expect it to be free on cable etc.. which I felt was a bit much ... though that's a different story.

About this situation here, if the fans who want this, know not to really expect a five star match, that they would have got from them previously then I have no problem with it and don't think it's a bad thing, sometimes it's good to see them in the ring again for nostalgia purposes or just to simply see them do what they do best once more, even if it's not on par on what they used to give, it all depends on the specific fan and what they're expecting, me personally, I'd like to see certain talents have another match and most of them can do so, look at Flair and The Undertaker for example, but I do agree with what you're saying here in regards to 'some' fans expectations.

Like, I'd love to see Rick Martel on WWE TV again, but I wouldn't be overly fussed if he was wrestling again, I'd just like to see him on TV and if he did wrestle, there is no way I would expect him to put on a phenomenal performance, like he did say in the 1991 Royal Rumble for example, I'd just be grateful and love the fact he was on WWE TV again, even if that was just doing some sort of appearance, like what he did at Vengeance in 2007 here :

4:50 onwards

Now, Martel is in very good shape for a guy who is 51 years old on this clip here, however if he was to step back in the ring again ... there is no way in this world I'd expect him to perform like he does in this clip here :

So it all depends on the specific fan and their expectations :)

·
Registered
274 Posts

I don't want that retired workers (legends) come back to be overexploited again. I love to watch many of them, but is not good, first for the young people roster and secondly, for the own legends.

·
Registered
508 Posts

The Legends returning in the weeks before RAW1000 make me disagree. You just don't have to expect a 5-star match. Sting - Undertaker would be nice to watch, just because I want to see Sting do a Stinger Splash, Scorpion Death Drop and Scorpion Death Lock in the WWE. Btw, Undertaker delivers every time. He might only be good for one match a year, but that match is always MOTN and always close to MOTY. Okay, Sting-Undertaker might not be a MOTN-candidate, but every moment leading up to that match would be freaking awesome.

I want some other legends to return just to see them finish their career in WWE as it should've been. Take Goldberg for example. What a shitty exit. Even if he just returns for one night to kick the Shields' ass (for example), that would be awesome. And guys like Hardy and Angle just need to have one last run in WWE, that just NEEDS to happen.

·
Registered
106 Posts

I Agree at everything you said.

·
OG3
3,387 Posts

the rock is still young. he left way too early. he's still a big time draw.

i want to see austin come back. he left the business abruptly w/o a retirement match - in my opinion (yes he passed the torch to the rock, but there's so much money in coming back- saying this is my last match- and wrestling a younger guy and the closure..the fans can give him the 3 hr "standing O" he deserves the next night on raw)

·
Registered
850 Posts

Agree 100%!
+ Rep!

I've been saying this all over the forum... If the 90's were all about bringing back legends then we'd have no Taker, HHH, Jericho, Rock, Kane, etc..

I believe we should let them be and make way for the new legends! Let the next Generation come through and have their time.. in the end WWE will book who they want to and if they want to book legends for a match then fair enough... but these constant threads about "STING vs TAKER" or "ROCK ONE MORE MATCH" or "PUNK vs AUSTIN MAKE IT HAPPEN" is just silly... if you want to watch these guys wrestle, then watch old tapings... their time is done..

Reactions: Stuart82

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Agree 100%!
+ Rep!

I've been saying this all over the forum... If the 90's were all about bringing back legends then we'd have no Taker, HHH, Jericho, Rock, Kane, etc..

I believe we should let them be and make way for the new legends! Let the next Generation come through and have their time.. in the end WWE will book who they want to and if they want to book legends for a match then fair enough... but these constant threads about "STING vs TAKER" or "ROCK ONE MORE MATCH" or "PUNK vs AUSTIN MAKE IT HAPPEN" is just silly... if you want to watch these guys wrestle, then watch old tapings... their time is done..
thank you! this is pretty much exactly what I mean. People expect Austin vs. Punk to be some amazing feud, and maybe the angle and what not would be good, but for one, Austin wouldn't even be able to be Stone Cold considering the PG era, and not to mention the guy has no knees anymore.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
This is especially true of Stone Cold, he couldn't have asked for a better match to go out on than against The Rock at Wrestlemania 19. If he comes back, he's not going to accomplish anything but being a parody of himself and tarnishing his legacy with more than likely shoddy ringwork.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I saw all my favorite stars in the then WWF wrestle in the 90's(Hogan, Flair, Michaels, Triple H, Undertaker,The Road Warriors). All were in their primes then. I wouldn't wanna see them wrestle now, except Taker, but his matches are slow & predictible.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I wonder if in two years there will be people begging for Cena, Orton, Dbry and Punk to have "one more match" against who-ever-the-fuck-is-top-dog-then...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts