Wrestling Forum banner

Late bloomers

4105 15
Many people here think that when a wrestler turns about 35 he should be slowing down or is even already ripe for retirement(Mysterio,Edge).This made me think and i remembered some really interesting stuff.

DDP seriously got into wrestling at age of 31 and thought he was too old so he took a managerial position.At age of 35 he got his first break as a wrestler,and in his early fourthys he peaked and became a legend we all know.

Another example of this is Terry Funk.Guy debuted as a pro wrestler in 1965. and is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time.However,the interresting thing is that some of his most iconic moments and some of the things he is mostly remembered for are his deathmatches with the likes of Cactus Jack,Onita,Sabu,Hayabusa,Sandman in ECW and Japan,all of wich happened in his fifthyes.

Yet another example is Sting who peaked as "Crow" in his late thirtyes.

So,what do you think about this topic?Who do you think could be this generation's late bloomers?How do you perceive "older" guys like Edge,William Regal,Booker T now?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,211 Posts
I think Edge is a late bloomer. He accumulated 11 World Titles in the past 4 1/2 years when before he was only known for I-C runs and tag titles.

Edit: Edge was about 34 when he won his first world title off of John Cena

· The Definition of Excellence
1,631 Posts
Batista would be a more recent example. Was like 36 when he won his first world title.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Both Sheamus and Del Rio are 33. Morrison is reaching his peak right now and he is 31, although pretty young imo.

· Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I openly admit that i think Regal could have a Funklike career ahead of him.Maybe it's just sheer hope but i think it's pretty possible.

· Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As Cpt.Charisma mentioned before,another example of this is JBL.Guy went form ridicilous Vampiro Americano to being Taker's henchman with Simmons,eventually breaking up from Ministry and geeting piece of the cake as a half APA and then finally fully bloomed by becoming the WWE champ at age of 39/40.

· Premium Member
4,692 Posts
Good topic.

Regal would almost certainly have reached his true peak if he didn't fuck up his Wellness test back in 2008. He was practically the focal point of Raw for a short while and looked deadset on entering a title feud, it's a crying shame the way things turned out.

I still have hopes that Christian might one day reach his peak and win the title before retiring, but even now with his involvement with Edge and Del Rio it's still very unlikely. If he were to win it any time in the next year he'd be 37/38, which I'm pretty sure would be a new record for first-time world title winners.

· Registered
2,999 Posts
Well Flair isn't a late bloomer, but he was in his 40's as good as most will never be in their prime. Bret Hart comes to mind who late in his Career got that Push to the top. I find Shawn 02-10 10 times better then Shawn 92-98 which many would consider his prime. Also Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio and Batista. There are actually many. RVD also became late Champion.

· Hunter of Invisible Game
69,102 Posts
You couldn't be more wrong about Terry Funk. Sure most of his commercially available stuff is from ECW when he was 50 but he was tearing shit up long before that. You didn't get to be NWA Champion for over a year in the 70's if you weren't a megastar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.