Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember the work Randy Orton did in Late 2008 up until WM25? I think that was the best work of his career. Anyone agree?

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
Character Wise: Yes?

In-ring wise: I would say from his SmackDown run to before the Viper gimmick was his best ring work.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
I don't know. I really enjoyed his string of matches against Cena in late '08... definately more so than his feud against Undertaker over on SmackDown years before.

Orton was certainly on a wicked tear around this time. It's when the fans tried naturally turning Orton, so they gave him the Legacy lackeys as his goons & basically began to book him like a cowardly heel instead of a badass.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I agree that it was his best character but his in-ring work from summer 2004-summer 2007 was his best. However, he did have a really decent match in late 2008 against Batista. It's the only good match they've ever had together.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
In my opinion, Randy was never better than during this period, yeah his in ring style changed during this period, but that was due to him taking a more cautious approach, not wanting to re-injure his already injury-prone shoulders.

His style may be a lot different nowadays then they were during his Legend Killer days but he can still work a great match, while making sure he stays healthy for years to come, this is why guys like Edge and Rey are paying for it now.

Again from a character perspective, it was the best of his career, he was so awesomely badass during this time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
His Royal Rumble build up was epic and his feud with HHH was epic (him kissing Steph while she was unconscious and HHH was handcuffed to the ropes was a GREAT moment)...the WM payoff? not so much.

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
Orton's best work no doubt. He truly was the hottest thing in WWE at the time even though he was heel. It was very bizarre to see and WWE ultimately didn't know how to deal with it.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
I don't know. I really enjoyed his string of matches against Cena in late '08... definately more so than his feud against Undertaker over on SmackDown years before.
I think you're confusing his feud with Cena from 07 with his work from late 08.
still feel one of his best matches was t no mercy 2008 with hhh
Same as you I guess. That was a fantastic LMS match, most certainly one of Orton's best matches, but it happened in 2007.

2008 was when Orton was injured for half the year. He took out CM Punk and made a return to the ring in a feud with Batista before transitioning to a feud with the McMahons and Triple H.

Also, I will agree with the folks saying it's the best work of his career character wise.

·
Banned
9,205 Posts
his character was at its peak, his feud with mcmahons and HHH was awesome. i was let down by their match at WM 25, though.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
He was truly on fire in that period, even before he got the big WM push.

Adding to that, I'd also suggest that Orton's best mic work in his career was during the period where he was still injured and they had him coming out ripping on the entire locker room. Really great stuff and I think that got him a lot of momentum before he fully returned to in-ring action.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I have said it on numerous occasion that upon his return in late 2008 and WrestleMania 25 and his match with Triple H i believe that Randy Orton was the hottest thing in wrestling and was on fire as a character. The problem is though that that period in his career will always be remembered for his loss at WrestleMania 25 and how awful the match also was which is a HUGE shame because Randy Orton was never better and may never be again.

From a storylinewise perspective i can understand why Triple H won at WrestleMania 25 as he got his revenge but he didn't gain anything at all from the win whereas Randy Orton and his character specifically was severely hurt by the loss, WWE could easily have booked Randy Orton to win due to how hot he was and then had Randy Orton win the rematch on Raw the next night with help from The Legacy. The next week they could have then booked the six man tag match at Backlash between Legacy and Triple H, Batista and Shane McMahon with the stipulation of if Triple H's team won he would get a WWE title shot in a match of his choosing which would then see Randy Orton get the win by punting Triple H as did happen and taking him out.

·
Ho!
18,022 Posts
Think you mean his matches against Cena in late 2007... or late 2009?

And I personally feel his work with Undertaker was the best of his career (in the ring). Not only did his feud with Taker revive him as a star, but two of the matches he had with Taker were two of the very best in his career imo (WM21 and HIAC), and they never had a bad match. Heck, they're probably number 1 and number 3 respectively off the top of my head, with Triple H/Orton LMS NM 2007 coming in at number 2. Shame Orton/Triple H could never get anything half as good as that match again, especially when they were in the WM ME.

But I am in agreement with the OP that Orton's work from late 08-early 09 was the best of his career character wise.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I need to see some of this stuff because I started watching again regulary around the time when CM Punk cashed in on Hardy and I couldn't stand Randy's character for a few months and then I started to love his character. I do remember seeing that end to RAW when he kissed Steph though live and that was great.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
From a storylinewise perspective i can understand why Triple H won at WrestleMania 25 as he got his revenge but he didn't gain anything at all from the win whereas Randy Orton and his character specifically was severely hurt by the loss, WWE could easily have booked Randy Orton to win due to how hot he was and then had Randy Orton win the rematch on Raw the next night with help from The Legacy. The next week they could have then booked the six man tag match at Backlash between Legacy and Triple H, Batista and Shane McMahon with the stipulation of if Triple H's team won he would get a WWE title shot in a match of his choosing which would then see Randy Orton get the win by punting Triple H as did happen and taking him out.
So basically he should have terrorized the McMahon family, attacked a man's wife and then beat him 3 times in a row, making him look like a fool in the process? WWE were backed into a corner with that feud and it was one in which the face had to go over. Ideally, the person playing the face in that situation should have been the person set to ultimately benefit from the feud but instead it was the heel and in a personal feud like that, the heels never go over. I think that they could have went about the Mania match a hell of a lot better and still managed to put Orton over huge but instead we got what we got. Besides, had Orton won and put Trips out you know that the second he returned and logically went on to exact his revenge, everybody would have started yapping that Orton was buried anyways :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think WWE should book bigger (size wise) heels as somewhat badasses not like they booked Orton as in Legacy... He rocks with the natural bad ass gimmick IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
As far as his character goes, that time period was definitely one of the best for him. He was red hot as a heel when he was being booked as a badass, and the entire segment where he kissed Stephanie and laid out Triple H with the sledgehammer is definitely one of the very best they have done for years now.

As soon as he announced that he didn't actually suffer from IED, started to run from a fight rather than stand his ground and was paired with Legacy, they really did just cut the fucking balls off his character. There was absolutely zero edge to him after all that mutilation, just another generic heel who runs away from the bad guy and uses his henchmen to do the dirty work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts